Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Viper 5900 Alarm/Auto start..

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 09:58 PM
SL Member

Default Viper 5900 Alarm/Auto start..

Question for you guys. I just bought this '08 tC a month ago and everything ran fine until this morning, it was only sitting for a day before this happened. This morning It wouldn't start at all, I turn the key and no lights come on, doesn't even try to start. I tried jumping the car and nothing, not even lights.
The battery is only a few months old, so pulled the battery out, cleaned all the connections, disconnected grounds and cleaned those. But I found this heavy gauge wire that was attached to the negative cable and then smashed under the radiator support.
So I removed that, put everything back together and the car fired right up just fine. Let it idle for awhile then took it on a 5 mile drive. No issues what so ever. So does anyone know why this could've happened and what this extra wire could've gone too?

Secondly, I just noticed that my car has a Viper 5900 alarm/auto start that the previous owner installed. I didn't know this and neither did the dealership because i don't have the remote for it.
Could that be what the wire was for and is it possible to completely remove the Viper system without damaging anything with the car or at the very least unplugging it? Long post I know but any thought would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-26-2019 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 07-15-2019, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That definitely looks like an oem ground wire, not sure exactly what it was attached to though.

For the Viper wiring, I would try to find a local (reputable) Viper installer and bring it to them to have them overlook and see if it's still functional and if not then they can properly remove it. If it is still working then they might be able to get new remotes for it, though generally replacement parts like that + programming cost nearly as much as a whole new unit.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

drizzoh is right, the ground wire is OEM. The negative battery terminal and the wire that was smashed under the radiator support do not appear to be original.

Here's a stock setup with the split, negative battery cable running to the battery tray bracket and the transmission housing bracket. The battery end of the cables are attached to a single-clamp terminal. There's no auxiliary ground.

I don't see how the additional ground wire had anything to do with the Viper. It was only connected to the battery and the radiator support. Looks more like an attempt at overall ground improvement than anything specific.

Last edited by 62Fender; 07-16-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:23 AM
SL Member

you would need to get a Dei 7701V remote if you want to try and get that viper 5900 to work. they go from $80-$100 on ebay. pairing the new remote to your module only takes a few minutes.