Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/)
-   -   2005 tC won't crank, good starter and relay, good battery (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/2005-tc-wont-crank-good-starter-relay-good-battery-235793/)

drocha1026 02-11-2018 07:44 PM

2005 tC won't crank, good starter and relay, good battery

I've been trying to figure this issue out for a solid 2 days now. My car has power it has the amps and everything is hooked up correctly. IT WON'T CRANK. Took the starter to get tested and it passed 3 times in a row. Check all the fuses,the relay clicks and the starter is getting power but it's not engaging at all. I know its getting power because the starter heats up after so many trys. I tried jumping the starter directly from the battery and nothing. And yes i tried tapping it too. This is on a freshly rebuilt motor. Please help any advice or tips would be appreciated.

udelslayer 02-12-2018 06:14 PM

Turn the crank bolt clockwise (righty tighty) and see if you can easily move the engine. Something might be holding it. In my case, it was a piston rod protruding through the block....

drocha1026 02-12-2018 08:16 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention its a freshly rebuilt engine. Yeah I'll have to see if it turns. Thanks

udelslayer 02-12-2018 08:24 PM

It was noted to be rebuilt. When you say wont crank, do you mean wont turn over or wont start?

drocha1026 02-12-2018 08:27 PM

Right my fault. It won't crank. I can hear the starter solenoid click one time and it doesn't even sound like it engages the flywheel.

udelslayer 02-12-2018 08:35 PM

Your battery will tire VERY quickly if something is holding it. Trust me, I thought my starter was bad. I replaced the battery too. It wasnt until I stuck a socket wrench on the crank and tried to turn it that I realized something wasnt right. It should turn without too much force. I even went as far as removing the s-belt because I thought it got stuck....nope.

When I started tearing down the motor and was about to pull it, i noticed the rod protruding through the block down by where the oil dipstick screws into the case.

How much did your rebuild cost if you dont mind me asking?

drocha1026 02-12-2018 08:40 PM

Yeah I figured the battery wouldn't have the amps after so much time. I'm thinking of just taking off the belt And trying that.

Well I bought it rebuilt. Cost me $850 with the core exchange. But as soon as it went in, I did everything by the book and I'm still having this problem.

udelslayer 02-12-2018 08:41 PM

Make sure you have a good battery. If you can rotate the motor, then that should be enough to get the rest of the system moving. When the crank rotates, it sends a CAS to the ECU which triggers the OP/N relay which in turn activates the fuel pump and injection system allowing the car to fire up.

udelslayer 02-12-2018 08:46 PM

850? Wow..I wish. I paid 2Gs for a complete 2010 assembly to stick in my 2006 car. My core was only worth $100. With me doing the labor I still spent 4Gs...but now its a solid car and yet I'm still having a time selling it so I'm driving it.

drocha1026 02-12-2018 08:46 PM

As far as I know I have a good battery. But I also have a truck that I used to try and jump it. So I know the amperage is there but I think there's a missed ground or something along those lines.

drocha1026 02-12-2018 08:56 PM

Well between the motor and all the other parts I've had to buy plus the tools I've had to get. I spent a total of like $1500. Plus my own labor haha. But this has me completely lost

udelslayer 02-13-2018 12:37 PM

What were the circumstances that lead to this condition? Was it running ok and then the next day dead? Make sure your jumping cables are good and try not to jump it with the donor system running. Those contacts get mighty nasty and my crappy cables didnt help either.

Check the under hood fuse block and make sure those lock tabs are locked. You would have had to pull it to take the harness off with the car. When you did the replacment, did you undo the cables at the ECU and push through the firewall or disconnect every little thing? I could have cut my labor down to a day if the jackholes that pulled the newer motor didnt cut the harness. There is a fair amount of stuff on it.

udelslayer 02-18-2018 11:13 AM

Did you ever figure this out?