Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2006 Scion tC - 450 miles, 5-speed transmission concern

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2006 Scion tC - 450 miles, 5-speed transmission concern

Just wanted some opinions.

I picked my car up last friday. It had 143 miles on it. Apparantly it was a demo, and it was also driven about 60-70 miles from another dealership to the place I purchased it (they had to locate me the color and trade for it).

Anyway,
When the car is cold it doesn't seem to shift into 2nd gear smooth. At first I thought it was just me getting used to the new car, but after experimenting with how I pull the shifter, operate the clutch, etc.. over the last couple of days I've come to the conclusion that it isn't me.

I know it could be various things like low fluid, to much fluid, shifter adjustment, or "bad syncro" <--really concerns me.

I really don't want a new car with a repaired transmission, so I'm going to be really ____ed if this becomes something serious internal to transmission case.

I'm going to call the dealer (or go in) this weekend and talk to the service department.

Anyone else have issues like this. It is possible that after some more mileage things will smooth out and get better?

Just looking for some advice and some opinions from owners who have had their cars much longer than me.

Paul G.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it's still cold, the fluid just might not be up to temp yet and not operating the way it should.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is pretty normal. What I mean by that is many people have asked this question before. I know that I for one experience this "crunchy" transmission often. I floor that clutch like no other and sometimes it still happens going from 1st->2nd.

One thing I have found that sometimes helps in cold weather is to let the car warm up a bit longer. Also when the ebrake is on, clutch in and cycle through all the gears a few times nice and easy. Make sure to stay clutched in the whole time (I have to say that believe me).
Old 03-28-2006, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok. This makes me feel alot better to know I'm not crazy.

I traded in my previous car because the transmission had been out 3 times in 2 years (started at 18K miles - 58K miles when traded in).

So transmission issues are a bit of a concern for me.

Thanks guys,
Paul G.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It is pretty normal.. I have noticed this sometimes if I dont let the car idle for a couple of minutes before I take off it will shift funny or troublesome, but if I let it idle she is fine and will shift smoothly and properly.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Banned
SL Member

well you should NEVER take off rite away..but i don't suspect that is YOur issue.

SO, does the shifter itself NOt go into 2nd (if so def take to dealer)...or is it just difficult for your to catch the gear/match revs/balance clutch n throttle?

I've been driving the car 1.5+ years 26K miles and i STILL am not totally comfortable/satisfied with the transmission (mainly the clutch feel and electronic controlled throttle [drive by wire[)
Old 03-28-2006, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Well I should have explained myslef a bit better than I did. Sometimes I dont type what Im thinking and just assume everyone thinks the same way. As far as rushing off I never do that. I usually let the car idle for about 5 mins than go but if Im late or in a hurry I usually let it idle for 3 minutes. As far as the sifting issue its mostly that it wont catch, I need to attempt 2 or 3 times to get it into 2nd because it just wont grab. Thats all.. I have owned so far 4 manuals and it to me anyway doesnt seem to be a trans problem considering it isnt a constant thing.. I hope I explained it better that time. Sorry...
Old 03-28-2006, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I haven't been taking off right away, but haven't really let the car idle very much.

I go out, turn the key, wait for gauges and fuel pump to do their thing, start it and let it idle while I get situated in the car.

Probably a minute or two before I put it in reverse and roll down the hill that is my driveway.

Now, I take it very slow out of my complex and it just seems that the 1 > 2 shift doesn't engage correctly. It does go into gear, but if I am not really thinking about it I might have to work the clutch pedal again, or put take another stab at getting into gear. It just doesn't go into gear smooth like the rest of the gears.

I'll let it warm up longer and see how that goes. Maybe I'll even investigate changing the fluid to something synthetic.

Thanks for the help, and sorry I didn't do a search. I was at work on lunch when I posted and didnt have time.

Paul G.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get in, put my seatbelt on, turn the car on and pull out... I never warm up the car unless I've got ice on the windshield... You guys warming up the car for 3-5 minutes are just wasting gas and polluting.

Now, the tC has just about the crappiest shift feel of any car I've ever had. I've never missed as many shifts as I have with this car. Mostly it's 1->2 shifts when I'm in a hurry (and grind grind grind me a pound as I grind em through an intersection).

I've got a short shifter in the mail, so hopefully that will clear some of it up...

Personally, I bet its your synchro, low fluid or a clutch cable adjustment needed (esp. if you're having problems at low speeds! most of mine are of the "quick shift" variety), and I'd take it in to have it looked at... As a demo, that thing might have been some guys "learning vehicle" where the clutch and 2nd gear syncro will get the most wear...
Old 03-28-2006, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most short shifters = Clunky/mechanical feel vs. stock shifter being buttery smooth in my opinion. A short shifter doesnt actually make your car any faster, it just shortens the throws so you get from one gear to the next quicker, delaying downtime between gears.

To stick to topic though, your probably just over analyzing becase its such a concern to you. I have 3056 miles on my tC now, and it has seemed to me that it is now smoother than when i first drove it off the lot at 12 miles on ODO.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks again for all the advice. I have to bring the car in for an inspection and to have a dent on the drivers door removed.

I'll have them drive the car to just go on record with the concern. Hopefully as I get more used to the car things will smooth out.

Having experience with short shifters, I agree, if you are having problems it is only going to make it worse. You loose the mechanical advantage of a longer shifter, so it takes more effort to shift the linkage.

I don't think I'll ever install another shifter, and personally (coming from subarus) I love the way the shifter and transmission feel when the car ia all warm.

Paul G.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:02 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Now, the tC has just about the crappiest shift feel of any car I've ever had. I've never missed as many shifts as I have with this car. Mostly it's 1->2 shifts when I'm in a hurry (and grind grind grind me a pound as I grind em through an intersection).

I've got a short shifter in the mail, so hopefully that will clear some of it up...

Personally, I bet its your synchro, low fluid or a clutch cable adjustment needed (esp. if you're having problems at low speeds! ..
i agree, the tc doesn't shift smoothly at all. but there is NO clutch Cable.. its hydrolic. i REALLY think this combined with the drive by wire (throttle delay, pedal angle sensor, etc...) is the cause of most people's shifting problems.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know where your're coming from with this. my car has the same problem. my car can be completely warm and it has a hard time going into 2nd gear. and i know that i can't skip a gear if i'm just taking my time. i can't go 3 to 5 because it will grind. but 2nd gear is the worst with me. i can feel the gear go in partially but not all the way...kind of like its getting stuck.

i'm pretty sure its not my driving style bc i never had a problem in my bros nissan or in my old 510.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got my tC and have not had the problem listed, but I have noticed that when downshifting from 5 to 4 the shifter will not go driectly into gear. I have to let it in nuetral so a split second and then go to 4th. Anyone esle have this issue?
Old 03-30-2006, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by illiniguy
I just got my tC and have not had the problem listed, but I have noticed that when downshifting from 5 to 4 the shifter will not go driectly into gear. I have to let it in nuetral so a split second and then go to 4th. Anyone esle have this issue?
you might be pulling it a little too far to the right, which would be reverse and that would prevent you from going into gear...unless you stupid and learning like i was and you force it...then it will grind your reverse...not a good sound
Old 04-03-2006, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member

Try changing out the tranny fuild with one from Redline http://www.redlineoil.com/
Old 04-04-2006, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RogueAlpha
Try changing out the tranny fuild with one from Redline http://www.redlineoil.com/
Yeah,
That crossed my mind too. I have about 750 miles on the car now, and letting it idle a bit and moving the shifter through the gears helps.

A fluid change might be in my future, but I want to talk to a dealer before I do anything like that. I'm going to have the car checked out when I bring it in for inspection in a few days.

Paul G.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i seem to have a different problem (not jacking the thread) but it seems like most manual trans in new cars have "problems" mine will pull itself out of gear if it wants to sometimes and i do get sticky first-second gear shifts every once in a while ...kinda annoying but im not to worried bout it unless someone posts up something terrible about it
Old 04-04-2006, 06:15 AM
5 Year Member

Ok now I feel better about my shifting. I just got the tC, and now it has like 420 miles. Ny concern was the second gear. No matter how smooth I tried to shift, it still shakes sometimes. 3rd and 4th are as smooth as automatic. I am guessing it is just the way tranny and clutch is setup on Tc's. My advice is try to drive it for like 2 thousand miles while the break in period, and then maybe change the tranny fluid along with the motor oil. All the metal dust inside the tranny will drain out then, and new fluid is never bad to have. Just a thought!
Old 04-04-2006, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

This is normal. The car will run rough or at a higher RPM until the engine reaches the operating temperature. Nothing to be concerned about.

Quick Reply: 2006 Scion tC - 450 miles, 5-speed transmission concern