2AZ-FE Bottem End Engine Knock - HELP! - Scionlife.com

Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Old 04-04-2018, 04:38 PM   #1  

Default 2AZ-FE Bottem End Engine Knock - HELP!

Hello all, I just bought a 2007 Scion tC with a 2AZ-FE VVTi Engine in it. I was cruising down the highway two weeks later, the check engine light came on and flickered off, then the oil pressure did the same thing. Both lights are now off but the engine is making this awful knocking noise that I have been seeing on the internet and relating to rod knock / spun bearing relative to RPM. The sound is coming from the bottom end of the engine according to a mechanic in Jacksonville area, as well as a bad water pump leak. I had thought it was good because they cleaned the car up real nice probably because they knew this engine was about to take a dive. Anyway, the knock increases as you increase speed and as I said before it is on the bottom end. I figured someone could help me out! If you have experienced this problem let me know. I eased the car about 5 miles in low RPM to a safe location so hopefully no internal damage has occurred. PLEASE HELP. Also, is it possible to change just the bearing and oil, to fix the problem? I'll try to add video later
akrylex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:31 AM   #2  
SL Member

Usually if you hear bad knocking in the lower end the engine will need a total rebuild. Pull your oil pan and I bet there is tons of bearing material in the bottom. That's what mine was like when I bought it.
Y2KG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #3  

Just got the car and didnt know that these cars SUCKED DOWN oil like they do, oil light flickered a couple times and now I have the same problem, cars probably been driven <100 miles since it started.

If its a rod knock can the bearing be replaced by dropping the oil pan? and is it worth it?

Just got it for 2Grand to be a cheap gas saver commuter.
h2oiamwater is offline   Reply With Quote