Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Aftermarket CV Axles from O'Reilly/Autozone

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Aftermarket CV Axles from O'Reilly/Autozone

Hey everyone, I'm replacing the 5-speed trans in my tC and I'm thinking about replacing the axles in my car while I'm at it (nothing wrong with them, but car has 123k miles). Has anyone used aftermarket axles from O'Reilly or Autozone? I've heard a couple of people on facebook say they wouldn't recommend them because they don't appear to have some counterweight on the shaft that the OEM axles have. They recommended axles from some internet parts place on ebay (OPparts CV Axle Shaft 420 51069 501 CV Half-Shaft Assembly | eBay) because they come with these counterweights. They said the O'Reilly/Autozone axles could produce some vibrations. I would much rather purchase from my local parts store than over the internet for these parts, for a few different reasons. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Don't buy that crap. I made that mistake when I replaced my driver side and like everyone else said, without the counterweight the car vibrates like a mother fu*ker. I ended up buying an OEM replacement from TRD Sparks. They are the cheapest from anywhere else I looked. Don't forget to check your year tC to see which transmission fluid you need.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the advice (I just now saw your response). Unfortunately, I had already bought and installed the Oreilly passenger side axle before you responded (I got the remanufactured one). It didn't have the counterweight, but so far no issues. Fingers crossed, I guess.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by HappySquirrel
Thanks for the advice (I just now saw your response). Unfortunately, I had already bought and installed the Oreilly passenger side axle before you responded (I got the remanufactured one). It didn't have the counterweight, but so far no issues. Fingers crossed, I guess.
From what I've read on about peoples experiences varies as some had no vibration while most did. My steering wheel would vibrate between 2 - 20 mph from gasing it at a dead stop. I ended up taking it off and returning mine so I could get an OEM one.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the ones from oreillys. Got these after researching everything. Work fine

MasterPro CV 60-5237 - C/V Drive Axle | O'Reilly Auto Parts

MasterPro CV 60-5239 - C/V Drive Axle | O'Reilly Auto Parts