Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/)
-   -   Alternator not charging battery (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/alternator-not-charging-battery-231044/)

JoeyBishop 06-05-2015 07:56 PM

Alternator not charging battery

Hey guys , im kinda stuck here.. My battery died so i thought it was alternator so i changed it out with a new one and still doesnt charge the battery. The battery is brand new too .. I brought the old alternator in and got it checked and it was actually good .. I also have the brake and ABS lights on my dash and i cant pull it out of park.. My brake light do work though .. I feel its related.. Since its not a bad alternator what should i look for next on why its not charging the battery? I checked the 120v fuse and it was fine.

Constellation 07-12-2015 12:07 AM

Check all of the fuses and your grounds.

Lomxcn465 09-27-2018 08:05 PM

hellllp

Originally Posted by JoeyBishop (Post 4168860)
Hey guys , im kinda stuck here.. My battery died so i thought it was alternator so i changed it out with a new one and still doesnt charge the battery. The battery is brand new too .. I brought the old alternator in and got it checked and it was actually good .. I also have the brake and ABS lights on my dash and i cant pull it out of park.. My brake light do work though .. I feel its related.. Since its not a bad alternator what should i look for next on why its not charging the battery? I checked the 120v fuse and it was fine.

did you ever figure out what was wrong

wilhelmdla66 07-24-2022 11:16 PM

So I figured out that the alternator in my 06 Xb went out and so I bought a new one. I got everything disconnected on the old one, wires and bolts but now the old one is still stuck in there. It moves back and forth but it won't come out. Did I miss something?

integr97 09-27-2022 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by wilhelmdla66 (Post 4311155)
So I figured out that the alternator in my 06 Xb went out and so I bought a new one. I got everything disconnected on the old one, wires and bolts but now the old one is still stuck in there. It moves back and forth but it won't come out. Did I miss something?

I'm hoping you removed the belt too of course. But these can be hard to pull out by hand so use a pry bar on the back of the alternator to pry it out. If you end up buying a remanufactured alternator, sometime the gap for the top bolt is too narrow and you'll have to shave the alternator a bit to get it to fit. Just did mine and have to shave less than a 1/2MM to get the new one in. The hardest part in replacing the belt onto the car, have one person holding the tensioner while the other person gets the belt on.

LULU 09-28-2022 01:34 AM

There is a nut that tightens in on the back of the alternator when you tighten the bolt to the right torque. The bottom bolt tightening pulls that nut to the mount as a fail safe to keep the alternator solidly in place. Keep rocking the alternator back and forth until that lock nut loosens up. You can also put the bolt back in and try hitting it with a hammer to loosen it up a little but I'd say be careful if you do because you can break something. It'll come out, promise. I just did my factory alternator and that's what I did. Rock it back and forth. You can try the pry bar too since the xB has more space then the xA, but even with the bar you have to get that nut lose. Hope this helps and makes sense.