Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Another Resonator Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member

Default Another Resonator Thread

Hey guys so I've searched google and came up with a bunch of threads regarding resonators for header back exhausts for our cars. I currently have a 27 inch glass pack on my mid pipe and am about to install a 12" vibrant resonator on the axle back portion where I have a 15" straight. Has anyone else tried this set up? I'll have close to 40" of resonators Im hoping it gets rid of the majority of the rasp. i currently get rasp If i go about half throttle.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 03-23-2014, 02:06 PM
SL Member

The biggest problem is that glasspack. Hi-flow res is about all you can do if you want to stay straight piped (more or less). What are you looking for int terms of your exhaust? Power? Flow? Sound? What combination?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member

a combination of both. I don't mind the loudness of my exhaust just the rasp after like 1/2 throttle that comes out. I have an ebay cat back and the resonator that was welded in the mid pipe had no sound deadening material it was just basically a larger pipe. I added the glass pack and that actually helped quite a bit. I mean I could get a high flow cat with a resonator and see how that does.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:02 PM
SL Member

I'm calling out the glass pack because that's what muscle cars use to get stupid loud. Plus the fact I have a dev version of the Magnaflow cat-back which deletes the factory resonator all together and just uses a muffler, I only have rasp when the pipes are cold. Once the exhaust is warmed up (to the muffler) I have ZERO rasp and it sounds secksi! I would highly recommend you go for the high-flow cat and a good high flow res or muffler (or a muffler of your choice). I even have the factory tip, so when I drive up people always ask "Is that stock?" Helps with the police not having a canister.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member

I added the glass pack because I thought something with some sound deadening material was better than complete straightness...but I think you're right with the high flow cat and muffler. I just need muffler that is actually a muffler instead of a can that can fit!

Last edited by donnyg20; 03-23-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member

*UPDATE*

So my dad and I welded in the Vibrant resonator

Exhaust Clip (Car is Warmed up)

Overall the rasp is non existent it sounds good..I have to drive with the silencer in due to my wife not liking how loud it is without but I'm glad that fixed the rasp.