Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Alternator not Charging my Battery, please help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Unhappy Alternator not Charging my Battery, please help?

Hello! I've been experiencing a major issue with my 06 tC, and was hoping maybe somebody with more knowledge would be able to point me in the right direction!

My car is a 2006 tC, manual transmission with a Monster Motorworks Header, S-Pipe, and CEL Eliminator (its been awhile since I've modded the car..or even driven it, so forgive me if my terms aren't right? ), and an Injen Cold Air Intake. It has about 60k miles and I've been the only owner.

Last fall, my blower for my A/C went, so I had my boyfriend's father fix this and change my oil... in the process he cut the CEL eliminator wires trying to help. When I started the car up after the repair, I noticed that my speedometer was not working, but continued to test drive it anyway. Eventually more lights (ABS, Check Engine, etc) came on, and the car died on the side of the road. I had it towed back, and as the tow truck driver suspected it may have been the alternator, we tried a new part. I am still experiencing the same problems, and have not driven my baby since last October!

I realize it probably needs to head to a dealership, or at least a shop but was curious to see if anyone else had experienced this? Or suggestions to further troubleshoot? I'm in well over my head with this issue! I'm a 20-something on a tight budget so am trying to fix it as economically as possible. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-12-2012, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep definitely needs a diagnostic. Look for a shop specializing in electrical automotive work 1st, like a place that does alternators / starters specifically. Hard to find but I know of one here. Or go to a local mechanic that isn't stuck in the 90's they will need to at least have a high end snap on tool to do a complete diag. It could be just tracing some wires or reading the control modules.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you checked the batt/alt fuse??
Old 05-13-2012, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

if he cut the ground to the o2 sensor it can short out the ecu causeing the alternator not to charge.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member

have you checked the wiring for the alternator/battery? he might have cut more wires than he expected.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:27 PM

Default Did you ever figure out the problem??? I’m having same issue right now

Originally Posted by BRRRtCgirl
Hello! I've been experiencing a major issue with my 06 tC, and was hoping maybe somebody with more knowledge would be able to point me in the right direction!

My car is a 2006 tC, manual transmission with a Monster Motorworks Header, S-Pipe, and CEL Eliminator (its been awhile since I've modded the car..or even driven it, so forgive me if my terms aren't right? ), and an Injen Cold Air Intake. It has about 60k miles and I've been the only owner.

Last fall, my blower for my A/C went, so I had my boyfriend's father fix this and change my oil... in the process he cut the CEL eliminator wires trying to help. When I started the car up after the repair, I noticed that my speedometer was not working, but continued to test drive it anyway. Eventually more lights (ABS, Check Engine, etc) came on, and the car died on the side of the road. I had it towed back, and as the tow truck driver suspected it may have been the alternator, we tried a new part. I am still experiencing the same problems, and have not driven my baby since last October!

I realize it probably needs to head to a dealership, or at least a shop but was curious to see if anyone else had experienced this? Or suggestions to further troubleshoot? I'm in well over my head with this issue! I'm a 20-something on a tight budget so am trying to fix it as economically as possible. Thanks in advance!

did you ever find out what it was????