Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/)
-   -   Clutch pedal all spring play and barely any hyd play. (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/clutch-pedal-all-spring-play-barely-any-hyd-play-237376/)

Canaust 07-08-2019 12:30 AM

Clutch pedal all spring play and barely any hyd play.

Hello everyone. I have a 2006 Scion tC and the problem I’m having is that when you depress the clutch the first 3 inches of play are from the pedal spring. You don’t actually feel the hydraulic pressure until the clutch is about 2 1/2 inches or so above the floor. I bled the clutch today and it does seem a bit firmer but I’m still having the same problem. This issue causes problems with shifting, the car still drives but the gears are a little tough to get into and sometimes you have to pump the clutch a few times to get it into first gear. And this is with me driving the pedal through the f****n floor. I don’t know what the problem is. I’ve been rev matching almost every gear to get it to work. Here’s a list of things done recently if this helps.

*new clutch 500 miles ago.
*new slave cylinder 500 miles ago.
*new master cylinder 3000 miles ago.
*megan racing short shifter like 50 miles ago.

its hard to say when this problem started or what after but I know that after the new clutch was put in, the line was bled and the pedal was firm with little play.

also something new right after the new clutch was installed that has since gone away, at first when you depressed the clutch you’d here a small pop noise and could feel it in the pedal. The *mechanic* told me that it was air escaping through the slave cylinder, this popping noise went on for several weeks but has since gone away or diminished for the most part (along with my firm clutch pedal), so naturally I replaced the slave cylinder (for the third time) and bled it again.(popping sound kept happening after new slave cylinder was installed)

Last thing im sorry this is a lot to read, but I was getting off the freeway and ran over a series of small speed bumps ( you know the ones that are really small that make your car vibrate kinda like rumble strips). Maybe a mile later down the road my clutch was suddenly restored! It had great pressure and very little spring play at all, shifting was perfect! And then a few miles later it went back to being horrible and I had the float gears again.

I’ve inspected the slave and master cylinder for brake fluid leaks and found nothing, although there is an audible hiss coming from the master cylinder when the clutch is depressed (but I don’t know if that’s normal or not). So here I am with a brand new slave cylinder and an almost new master cylinder, the clutch engages really early and holds decent pressure but you have to push the pedal almost all the way down to actually feel the pressure build up. Any thoughts????
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sci...a4bd62453.jpeg
Not my actual car but an example of what you feel with your foot.

Canaust 07-15-2019 07:24 PM

Update

Hey guys me again. I replaced and bled the clutch master cylinder because it WAS leaking (engine bay side). This solves most of the problem however you still have to push the clutch pedal way down (further than before the clutch was replaced) in order to disengage it. I’m not sure if that’s normal. However the car runs and drives and shifts fine for now. I have a 15 hour drive coming up next week so I’m reluctant to tinker with anything further, until I get to my final destination. But as for now, it WORKS.

62Fender 07-16-2019 12:11 AM

Check your PM. I'll send you some info on the clutch. Unfortunately, Toyota's instructions on pedal adjustment involve removing and reinstalling the pedal assembly. Hopefully your fix doesn't involve pedal adjustment.

KMS_Alex 10-12-2023 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by 62Fender (Post 4294782)
Check your PM. I'll send you some info on the clutch. Unfortunately, Toyota's instructions on pedal adjustment involve removing and reinstalling the pedal assembly. Hopefully your fix doesn't involve pedal adjustment.

Could you be so kind as to also provide me this information?

I'm in a very similar situation with a replaced Trans/Clutch ~1k miles ago and this same limp/difficult pedal, as well as the pedal not always wanting to return fully.

Kllincoln 01-27-2024 07:59 PM

Help!

Originally Posted by 62Fender (Post 4294782)

I hope this thread isn't dead! Could you please pm me as well? I'm so frustrated with the same issue!! Thank you a million times!