Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Clutch release bearing w/out dropping crossmember?

Old 12-13-2017, 09:41 PM

Default Clutch release bearing w/out dropping crossmember?

Since the throwout bearing is not a HTOB bolted in and it's just held by a clip, has anyone replaced it without dropping the crossmember and everything else? It seems feasible and that would save a significant amount of labor. My car supposedly had a new clutch last year and I'm guessing the DPO just didn't spend the extra $30 on the bearing.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Havent ran into many cars that let your pull it apart and worm on it while still in the car.

you can drop the trans with just removing the axle, slave cylinder, shift cables and mount.
leaving the motor and everything eles in place tho
Old 12-15-2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by xile6
Havent ran into many cars that let your pull it apart and worm on it while still in the car.

you can drop the trans with just removing the axle, slave cylinder, shift cables and mount.
leaving the motor and everything eles in place tho
Out the the top or side? Doesn't require taking off all 3 mounts and supporting the engine with a support bar? That's another $120+ I don't have to spare right now.

Last edited by Hexadecimus; 12-15-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well duh you have to support the motor. You can ise a jack and wood on the oil pan.

i really dont know how you wjere thinking you could get the trans and motor apart without taking one out the car.

this isnt my video but shows the work

https://youtu.be/QHA5YpNiFf4

He drop the subframe but i dont believe you need to inorder to just pull the bearing leaving the trans semi in.

here another link
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/tc-tech-diy-1818/diy-clutch-flywheel-install-scion-tc-234824/
Old 12-15-2017, 08:00 PM

No need to be a condescending. "Well duh" I meant taking the transmission out, or at least moving it enough to clear the clutch. I've "only" been working on cars and bikes since the 90s, but I don't know the clearances on this particular model.

Yes, I've seen that video. He doesn't do things quite right and does unnecessary things like removing the sensor from the transmission entirely, opening it up to FOD, etc. He's also removing the crossmember to take it out the bottom.
I'm not talking about doing it the factory way or, like him, still the halfway-factory way.

I'm asking what's the minimum to shift it enough to get ONLY the release bearing, not the whole clutch and, like I said:
Out the the top or side?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-15-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: language
Old 12-16-2017, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have to clean the clutch and inout shaft so your need at lest a 7inch gap.
As said.
Remove mounts, axle and tilt it down and to the drive side. Should ne far enough to just pull out the bearing and put in a new one. If not your have to pull the trans all the way out