Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Clutch Symptoms

Old 07-06-2017, 11:15 PM

Exclamation Clutch Symptoms

I had a questionable mechanic fix my clutch two years ago and then it messed up again. Then I experienced the same symptoms....The car wouldn't go into gear, may have to pump to get it into gear. So I replaced the master and slave. Still having similar issues and the pedal felt weird. Had the same guy look into it and he said my transmission seal blew out and got oil everywhere. He replaced the clutch again. Now, my car will go into gear but it's kind of hard to put it into gear. Sometimes I can't quite get it into reverse and must let go / press the clutch again.

Mechanic said I may need new "gear synchronizers", but that's not something he can do. Does anyone else have an idea as to what the issue may be? Had the gear oil changed recently, but maybe the guy emptied it while installing the new pressure plate etc?
Old 07-31-2017, 06:19 PM

Maybe I just need more gear oil? Any insight is appreciated
Old 08-04-2017, 05:27 PM

I believe my transaxle seal or manual transmission output shaft seal is compromised. So I've been driving around wit no gear oil. I have to be careful obviously. The mechanical feeling and prolonged shifting is strange. Watched a few videos going to replace the seals. I'll lyk guys if some GEAR OIL will help. imagine so...face palm,

Car shifted better than ever with gear oil in it. Till it drained all out on my driveway!!

Hopefully my transmission will last another 100K miles ha!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:46 PM

" Sometimes I can't quite get it into reverse and must let go / press the clutch again."

I have had this "problem" for a while. Now I don't know how much of a problem it really is for me. I just have to shift into first for a second then the gears align and I can shift into reverse no problem.

Now when you say it won't go into gear you mean 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc? I have never had any problems getting my car into gear except sometimes when shifting into reverse and I have 130,000 miles with the original clutch currently. If you have already had your clutch replaced once the only thing I can think is this: you put too much wear/damage on the clutch or you had some questionable work done by someone. Not really sure what your solution would be besides having to go get more work done by Toyota or someone that knows what they are doing.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:29 PM

Thanks for chiming in. Yeah, replaced clutch 2x now over past 4 years....both with questionable mechanic. When I say it won't go into gear I'm mostly mean 1st & reverse.

The reason I feel it's a problem is because it's annoying if caught in traffic and I can't put car into gear. issue usually happens when car is cold, but has happened while warm. I'm unsure why my clutch would stick and my clutch also engages really quick off the floor. I've lengthened the rod underneath the clutch but that hasn't seemed help. I'm unwilling to pay Toyotas price as my car is an 06 & I'm best of doing the work myself or selling. Looking for some direction as to what it could be. I'm not afraid to take her apart

Search this Thread