Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

DIY Clutch & Flywheel Install for Scion tC

Old 08-28-2014, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by sleepersftw
I just did my clutch honestly you have to drop the whole tranny. You really want to because 1. You can replace the throwout bearing 2. Pull the fork off and clean and grease that fork pivot point and grease the two points at the end of fork where you see the wear from throwout bearing. 3. Clean the shaft splines the fsm says to grease the shaft I just greased the clutch splines so it doesn't get stuck to the tranny splines. If you decide to grease use a very very light coat of molly grease and remove excess grease. 4. clean the shaft sleeve with brake cleaner (where the throwout bearing rides on) then grease with a molly grease this has to be a very light coat or else it will collect at the end of the sleeve trust me on that lol. Make sure you clean the inner race grease and regrease with same grease used on sleeve. Just slide the bearing back and forth and wipe whatever collects at the end then install you'll have the smoothest clutch engagement ever. Don't forget to clean and grease the slave cylinder fork pivot point with lithium grease
Thanks!!
Old 02-21-2015, 05:49 AM

So I'm guessing it's recommended to swap out the flywheel when you do a clutch swap. I just picked up a new clutch. So I guess I'm going to have to get a new flywheel.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can either buy a new one or if there aren't any major deficiencies you can just resurface the one you have; a machine shop should be able to help you out with resurfacing.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:24 AM

Hello,
I bought my wife an '05 TC manual with 93k on it and the clutch is on it's way out. Was wondering if there is a shopping list of the parts i need to get?

OEM or aftermarket (normal daily driver, no turbos here)?
I saw the Exedy clutch kit on Amazon and Ebay for about $140

thank you for the help.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coastierider
Hello,
I bought my wife an '05 TC manual with 93k on it and the clutch is on it's way out. Was wondering if there is a shopping list of the parts i need to get?

OEM or aftermarket (normal daily driver, no turbos here)?
I saw the Exedy clutch kit on Amazon and Ebay for about $140

thank you for the help.
Other than tools, a clutch kit will have everything (ie. Clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, alignment tool). I like Exedy products and recently put an OEM one in my tC that had an Exedy Cerametalic Stage II. Just cross reference the clutch kit product number on Exedy's website because I've found from searching myself, Amazon/eBay sometimes sells the incorrect kit. The product number is TYK1506 for '04-'10.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XPRTc
Other than tools, a clutch kit will have everything (ie. Clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, alignment tool). I like Exedy products and recently put an OEM one in my tC that had an Exedy Cerametalic Stage II. Just cross reference the clutch kit product number on Exedy's website because I've found from searching myself, Amazon/eBay sometimes sells the incorrect kit. The product number is TYK1506 for '04-'10.
Don't mean to hijack the thread but, what was your impression of the Cerametalic? I am looking into installing a clutch soon for my upcoming turbo install and was looking at this one particularly.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2015, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
Don't mean to hijack the thread but, what was your impression of the Cerametalic? I am looking into installing a clutch soon for my upcoming turbo install and was looking at this one particularly.

Thanks!
I liked it! The three puck design is definitely grabby - feathering the clutch is slightly more challenging than OEM. The pedal feel due to the pressure plate takes more effort especially during break-in, but you get used to all of that. Minimal noise if any. I had it in for +40k miles, +20k of those miles were boosted. Straight line tracked it a few times and was able to run a 13.6s @ 111mph on pretty bad stock tires.

Overall if I had to do it over again, I'd consider going the same route or try the ACT Street clutch. By the way, I just swapped it for the OEM Exedy because I replaced my clutch master and slave cylinders last season but had problems arise that were different enough to prompt me to buy a replacement just in case. Well when I took the Cerametalic out, it looked pretty good still.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:10 AM

Great thread follwed it worked great but now my car wont start it feels like the clutch isnt engaging all the way i bleed the lines replaced the starter and battery and checked all of my wires all it dose is click it is also a new slave cylinder idk what it could be!
Old 10-13-2016, 06:55 PM

Default Bolts

Can anyone tell me the size of the bolt that hooks clutch to flywheel? Length width? Special markings? They got mixed in with other bolts
Old 10-14-2016, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cjspitfire16
Can anyone tell me the size of the bolt that hooks clutch to flywheel? Length width? Special markings? They got mixed in with other bolts

Try this------------> Pressure Plate Bolts
Old 10-14-2016, 05:37 PM

I notice the flywheel, pressure plate and the clutch plate are different colors. Did you paint them or was this photo edit to show difference
Old 10-15-2016, 03:34 PM

Default bolts again😞

C11st I would like to thank those that helped me with my 11st question. 2Nd can anyone tell me which bolts hook the trans 5so to the engine. I hope I don't need more answers on this. I did but a set of repair manuals but not yet here.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:59 PM

VIDEO To clutch diy

https://youtu.be/QHA5YpNiFf4
Old 10-19-2017, 04:10 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Angry PhotoBucket Removed Original Images from OP's post

*FYI, What Happened to the Original Missing Pictures?: PhotoBucket now charges $399 for third-party hosted images

The OP's Last Activity was: 07-29-2009 PhotoBucket pulled his images after he left.

So it is unlikely he will return and Update with new pictures.

Best Bet is use the Op's written post and a YouTube video like Above.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2017 at 12:21 AM.