Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Dumb Newbie question....Manual shift blockers...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member

Default Dumb Newbie question....Manual shift blockers...

Hello everyone, I just picked up my tC about four hours ago, and noticed something I found odd...I have driven manual transmissions my entire life, and every one I have driven has had something to prevent you from shifting into a gear that would hurt your drivetrain...IE, if on the highway it wouldn't let you downshift to first...

I noticed driving my tC home tonight that I could push the clutch in and shift into any gear while on the freeway...including reverse...that strikes me as.......well, potentially dangerous and not good for the vehicle...

Are tC's supposed to be like this???
Old 07-11-2006, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

mines like that too
Old 07-11-2006, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is potentially dangerouss. The simple solution is to pay attention when you shift ;)
Old 07-11-2006, 05:12 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

hmm..? there should be something for 1st and reverse..
Old 07-11-2006, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Dumb Newbie question....Manual shift blockers...

Originally Posted by TbirdTC
Hello everyone, I just picked up my tC about four hours ago, and noticed something I found odd...I have driven manual transmissions my entire life, and every one I have driven has had something to prevent you from shifting into a gear that would hurt your drivetrain...IE, if on the highway it wouldn't let you downshift to first...

I noticed driving my tC home tonight that I could push the clutch in and shift into any gear while on the freeway...including reverse...that strikes me as.......well, potentially dangerous and not good for the vehicle...

LoL...BS you shifted into reverse while moving forward. You would have heard/felt the worse grinding you have ever seen. And if you Intentionally try to put it into reverse while moving forward, you're not to smart for doing so. Never intentionally put it into a gear that will make the car over-rev, or reverse while driving!
Old 07-11-2006, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: Dumb Newbie question....Manual shift blockers...

Originally Posted by 06SuperWhite_SoCal_tC
Originally Posted by TbirdTC

LoL...BS you shifted into reverse while moving forward. You would have heard/felt the worse grinding you have ever seen. And if you Intentionally try to put it into reverse while moving forward, you're not to smart for doing so. Never intentionally put it into a gear that will make the car over-rev, or reverse while driving!
I was thinking that it wouldn't let you put it in reverse as well. However, I can't say for sure because I have never been stupid enough to put the car in reverse while going down the freeway.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

I doubt you shifted into reverse while moving forward at any speed, you prolly shifted into 4th thinking its reverse while moving.

I know if i am rolling forward at a slow speed eg. parallel parking, if i shift into reverse it grinds a little unless i am at a complete stop then it wont grind. I know for sure 1st will not go in unless i am under 5mph, i forced it in before into 1st going about 10 but that didnt feel good
Old 07-11-2006, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea Reverse will grind at 2mph, i could only imagine at highway speeds..
Old 07-11-2006, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Highway speeds and Reverse = Tranny Say goodbye.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:48 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by zer0
Yea Reverse will grind at 2mph, i could only imagine at highway speeds..
yeah.. absolutely.. the reverse gear is straight-cut too.... it'd be near impossible to get it in without major grindage...
Old 09-02-2006, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by trialsindude
I doubt you shifted into reverse while moving forward at any speed, you prolly shifted into 4th thinking its reverse while moving.

I know if i am rolling forward at a slow speed eg. parallel parking, if i shift into reverse it grinds a little unless i am at a complete stop then it wont grind. I know for sure 1st will not go in unless i am under 5mph, i forced it in before into 1st going about 10 but that didnt feel good
oh it goes in ive gotten it in at about 12mph and it was fine. and yes it does go into first at freeway speeds my friend was stupid enough t o try it and it went in but his clutch blew up on him and had to change it
Old 09-02-2006, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

You could put it into 1st while driving any speed...but reverse like others said isn't possible
Old 09-03-2006, 05:22 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
yeah.. absolutely.. the reverse gear is straight-cut too.... it'd be near impossible to get it in without major grindage...
yup

Forward gears---> helical
Reverse gear--> Spur
Old 09-03-2006, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member

It's true that at low speeds you will hear grinding if you try to go into reverse. At highway speeds, there'd be no possible way to get into reverse.

Additionally, if you were at highway speeds, you'd most likely be in 5th gear and there IS a mechanical stop that prevents you from going from 5th to reverse, even when fully stopped. To go from 5th to reverse, you have to disengage the clutch, take the shifter out of 5th gear into neutral, re-engage the clutch, disengage the clutch, then attempt to place the shifter into reverse, again making one hell of a noise.

At this point, everyone driving within 100 feet of you is going to probably kill themselves because they'll be laughing so hard they won't be able to see where they're going.