Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Engine dies when cooling fan turns on at idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Engine dies when cooling fan turns on at idle

Well this past Saturday my car won't start, when I turn the key you could hear the starter solenoid chatering like the battery was dead. Took the battery out and had it tested and battery is ok. re-installed battery same issue, no start. I can bump start it and it runs fine but the alternator is not charging the battery. I disconnected the alternator and the car starts, reconnect the alternator and the car still starts and now the alternator IS charging, problem fixed.................wrong. then two days later driving to work the car has no power below 3000 rpm and is running real rich below 3000. After checking many things I did the screw driver test on the injectors and #1 loud clicking, #2 faint clicking, #3 no clicking, #4 loud clicking. Ordered new injectors.. Installed the injectors and seems to run fine except while the car is at idle and the cooling fan turns on the car dies. I put an inductive amp gauge on the wire coming from the alternator and at idle it reads 50 amps, once the cooling fan turns on the gauge jumps to 200amps and car dies. I think it is the alternator......any other suggestions?
Old 09-18-2009, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

sounds like you have a bad alt. get a good battery because if you alt. took a ____ then it most likely took your batt. with it or it could be the other way around. get the batt. and load test your alt. small issues like this in modern cars can cause huge problems with the ecu.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well this is a brain fart on my part......... I did not notice that one of my IC pipes had popped out of the coupler. So the stalling problem is fixed, still have an issue with the SECOND alternator not chargin battery.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

sounds like you need to list your mods before we go any further. i thought you were stock.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My mods are in my profile. Well it turned out to be a bad ground on the transaxle from the neg side of battery. All is good now, thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha that makes since - i had a similar issue when i dropped the new motor in - alt wouldnt charge battery - bolt was loose on the ground strap haha - also gave some really weird codes Who thought you were stock??? From the time in your sig id guess youve built a motor and dropped it in recently - thats prob when it happened