Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Evap sensor not ready? Code P0420..Cali Smog :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 06:49 AM

Default Evap sensor not ready? Code P0420..Cali Smog :(

Alright, so I got a 2006 tC and I love this car and I have to smog it and the problem is one of the monitors is not turning on. The evap is not ready but the cat and everything else is on but not the evap. And I’ve been reading it’s the cycle or my evap is bad and all these other things.
But the Code that comes up is P0420 but I don’t see why it would affect it or I’m just dumb and that’s what it is. Sorry guys my old car was an 81 Datsun Z and that was so much easier to work on I’m so bad with new cars!

I have the smog fail sheet if you guys need it but pls help!!

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-16-2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 07-16-2018, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0420
Old 07-23-2018, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Few days

Originally Posted by CondorCE
Alright, so I got a 2006 tC and I love this car and I have to smog it and the problem is one of the monitors is not turning on. The evap is not ready but the cat and everything else is on but not the evap. And I’ve been reading it’s the cycle or my evap is bad and all these other things.
But the Code that comes up is P0420 but I don’t see why it would affect it or I’m just dumb and that’s what it is. Sorry guys my old car was an 81 Datsun Z and that was so much easier to work on I’m so bad with new cars!

I have the smog fail sheet if you guys need it but pls help!!

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question
Condor the monitor for evap can take a few days to be ready. The cycle for it will require the gas tank to be maintained half full and the car to sit for about 8 to 12 hours. It will set on its own so be patient. Just maintain the gas tank half full and it will eventually set overnight.

As for the 0420 trouble code you are getting. That usually is the catalytic converter that is faulty or the downstream O2 oxygen sensor or both. You could try and replace just the downstream O2 sensor first as its the less costly fix. And see if that clears the code. If it does not then most likely you will have to replace the catalytic converter as well. I had the code pop up on my 2005 tC and I had to replace both to clear the code.