Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Help - Can't Get Cross-Member Free (Transmission Replacement)

Old 05-24-2017, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unhappy Help - Can't Get Cross-Member Free (Transmission Replacement)

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED! Thank you bbsciontc!

Hey guys, I am trying to do a transmission replacement on my 2007 tC (my original 5-speed is shot). I am having a hell of a time getting the main cross-member removed. I think I have everything free and I can rock it back a forth a bit. I can also ply each end (left and right) free with a pry bar. It seems to be hung up in the middle (?). I can't break it out. Here's a quick list of everything I have undone:

- Front longitudinal small crossmember is unbolted and free from the front
- I've removed all the smaller nuts and bolts from the bottom of the cross-member (I think these were the 14mm socket ones)
- I removed both the left and right brackets (the ones with four 19mm bolts). I did NOT remove the 19mm bolts next to them that hold the control arms to the subframe.
- The big 19 mm nuts on the far left and right are removed.
- Control arms are unbolted from the steering knuckles.
- Sway bar end links are unbolted. Also, the sway bar is still bolted to the cross-member but it is loose enough to swing up and down, so I don't think that's holding it up.
- Rack and pinion bolts appear to be loose (like I said, I undid everything on the bottom of the crossmember).
- Tie rod ends are disconnected (at the point where there is a castle nut & cotter pin)

I've consulted the service manual and looked at the assembly drawing more times than I can count. Am I just not yanking on this thing hard enough? I've wiggled and pulled on it for quite a long time. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Crappy pic attached for reference.

Last edited by HappySquirrel; 05-25-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's a reference that may be helpful. These are instructions for removing the engine mounts, but they are basically the same steps. They only lowered the subframe in this instance, but if you need to remove it completely, you should fully remove the steering rack bolts.

https://clubsciontc.com/forums/diy-i...ngs-too-25292/
Old 05-25-2017, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, check out jayhipster's excellent video. One of the best forum member contributions in a really long time:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...-video-233459/
Old 05-25-2017, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
Here's a reference that may be helpful. These are instructions for removing the engine mounts, but they are basically the same steps. They only lowered the subframe in this instance, but if you need to remove it completely, you should fully remove the steering rack bolts.

https://clubsciontc.com/forums/diy-i...ngs-too-25292/
Excellent, thanks! I got the crossmember out. I had missed two of the rear motor/trans mount screws because they were the ones that are buried in the recesses. D'oh! These instructions will definitely come in handy when I try undoing the transmission mounts tonight, as well as when I put the crossmember back together.

And I agree that Jay's video is very helpful. I've actually been using it throughout this process. I probably would not have had the courage to tackle this project if I hadn't watched his video. Still not sure I can make it all the way through, but we'll see..

Thanks again!
Old 05-26-2017, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet! Glad it worked out.