Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

I guessed its hydrolocked GRRR Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I guessed its hydrolocked GRRR Help!!

So yesterday we had some bad rains around my place, it got really bad and i decided to wait it out since the road was getting flooded. So my luck the parking entrance i take has the biggest puddle ever. My car goes up the entrance and it dies. I panicked and try to start it again and nothing. Got out of the car, pushed it to a parking spot. So Im guessing its hydrolocked.

My car sits pretty low on coilovers (RL), it has a CAI and the wheel weld plastic cover thingy is gone. So my Filter it seating low with no protection.

From searching forums and sites; I found these suggestions:

"pull the plugs out and crank it over. That will push the water out of the cylinders. Then pour a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in each, crank it a couple of times and let it sit for a little while."

"Remove the plugs and use a vacuum pump to remove most of the water. Crank the car without the plugs to spit out any remaining water. Change your oil asap."

Any other suggestions? About to get it towed to my apartment later today.

Thanks for the help!!

</SPAN>
Old 07-29-2013, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go to a short ram style intake. You are asking for trouble with an exposed cold air intake.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah just never got around to it and now i get to pay for it. Maybe i should think positive and if its really bad i will get a head start on getting my engine turbo ready....or should i not even consider it???
Old 07-29-2013, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i've seen others say to change out your oil and filter in case there's water that's gotten into there.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did this a few months ago. I got it replaced under insurance with a nice healthy motor and I am going to boost her up. If I was to do it again and had another car to put around it, id build it. If you are low on funds just go to the salvage yard and get another motor with good compression. This guy at my track runs his turbo camaro this way. He gets a junkyard motor, puts a few passes on it, then gets another. Its a waste of money in my opinion but different strokes for different folks.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and tips...let's see what happens.

Trying to tow it to my house but every dam tow truck says the car is to low and they will crack my front bumper FML
Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LuckyPablo7
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and tips...let's see what happens.

Trying to tow it to my house but every dam tow truck says the car is to low and they will crack my front bumper FML
Take the bumper off. You'll be better off in the long run.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does it still start? Hapened to me twice now. First time filer got too wet, car wouldn't even idle. Took filter off dried in dryer and it worked. Second time like 3 weeks ago, water traveled through turbo and ic pipes, so I had to dry intercooler and everything. Take out your plugs and get all water out there. Then drain your oil ( it will look like chocolate milk) and go get 12qts of cheap oil and filters to flush your motor. Change oil and filter, run for 10-15 min, drain oil and repeat 3 times, until you see clear oil is coming out. Then you can put your regular oil in. Hope that helps.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Happened to me and after doing everything that people mentioned above, came to find my maf sensor was fried.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-02-2013, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks everyone!! I'm lucky that i have another MAF sensor so hopefully this weekend ill be able to change oil and filters and hopefully it will start <crossing fingers>
Old 08-13-2013, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Drey
Does it still start? Hapened to me twice now. First time filer got too wet, car wouldn't even idle. Took filter off dried in dryer and it worked. Second time like 3 weeks ago, water traveled through turbo and ic pipes, so I had to dry intercooler and everything. Take out your plugs and get all water out there. Then drain your oil ( it will look like chocolate milk) and go get 12qts of cheap oil and filters to flush your motor. Change oil and filter, run for 10-15 min, drain oil and repeat 3 times, until you see clear oil is coming out. Then you can put your regular oil in. Hope that helps.
this. had to do the same thing when i sucked up water from my cai. switched to sram and never went cai again haha. basically pull plugs and crank it til all the water shoots out then hope your car starts. then do the whole oil change bit.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LuckyPablo7
Thanks everyone!! I'm lucky that i have another MAF sensor so hopefully this weekend ill be able to change oil and filters and hopefully it will start <crossing fingers>
did that take care of it?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Call your insurance company. This counts as a comprehensive loss due to flooding.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:10 PM

Ditch the CAI for a short ram. One bad experience is one too many!