Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

loud chirp/squak noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Default loud chirp/squak noise

so recently i have been noticing that when i put my tC into first gear whether i give it gas or not and let the clutch out there is like this chirp noise that almost sounds like a metal on metal noise and now recently i have been noticing it in every gear 1-5 and if im cruising and i let off the gas and then re accelerate i get the same noise.
im lead to believe that its something drivetrain or clutch related but im really stumped on what to even look for as this seems very puzzling

its a 2009 scion tC with 46k miles
Old 06-29-2012, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is your tC stock? Only thing I can think of is belt maybe for chirp. As far as metal goes, the clutch pedal, but you say even I assume in gear when your on gas and off again so maybe something loose like intake, some kind of mount. It's really hard to say from this laptop lol.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

i had one of the toyota techs at my work take a glance and he thinks its just chatter noise in the pressure plate
Old 07-21-2012, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have this too. Was in accident with blown headgasket, engine replaced, dunno about the clutch. It's done this since they day I bought the rebuilt title (May 2010) and has not gotten worse. I drive it really hard too.

I think it's from the clutch somewhere.
I have a possibly related high-pitched squeak/creak (continuous metal squeaking sound) from the clutch when the engine becomes loaded at idle such as with AC on + steering wheel cranked to left/right or fan running. It can't be a belt unless there's a belt clear on the right side of the engine (with the hood up IE driver's side of car) which is where chirp/squeel is coming from.

This high-pitched squeeking seems to have started more recently, I don't recall it happening before. However it hasn't gotten rapidly worse or anything.

I got a new jack that will let me lift the car higher. I might start it up when jacked up and try stethoscoping the clutch with the AC on, but mainly got jack for other reasons so probably won't.

I wouldn't be worried about it unless your has rapidly been getting worse, but make this decision for yourself as who knows maybe this is something really big and I don't want to have il-advised you!

I had a mech look at it once I described exactly as you did, so he checked the engine mounts and said they were all A-OK.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

yeah i actually work at toyota and had one of our techs take a look at they believe its the pressure plate going bad and not to worry about it
Old 12-07-2012, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

anyone else have any ideas on this noise its starting to get a lot worse and louder and its really starting to get annoying. thinking pulling the tranny might be the only way to tell and just replace it all
Old 05-10-2014, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rancur3p1c
I have this too. Was in accident with blown headgasket, engine replaced, dunno about the clutch. It's done this since they day I bought the rebuilt title (May 2010) and has not gotten worse. I drive it really hard too.

I think it's from the clutch somewhere.
I have a possibly related high-pitched squeak/creak (continuous metal squeaking sound) from the clutch when the engine becomes loaded at idle such as with AC on + steering wheel cranked to left/right or fan running. It can't be a belt unless there's a belt clear on the right side of the engine (with the hood up IE driver's side of car) which is where chirp/squeel is coming from.

This high-pitched squeeking seems to have started more recently, I don't recall it happening before. However it hasn't gotten rapidly worse or anything.

I got a new jack that will let me lift the car higher. I might start it up when jacked up and try stethoscoping the clutch with the AC on, but mainly got jack for other reasons so probably won't.

I wouldn't be worried about it unless your has rapidly been getting worse, but make this decision for yourself as who knows maybe this is something really big and I don't want to have il-advised you!

I had a mech look at it once I described exactly as you did, so he checked the engine mounts and said they were all A-OK.
I finally figured it out. Theres a bolt in the middle of the car that holds the clutch or something. It hadn't been tightened properly. No noise now!