Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/)
-   -   MPG boosting mods (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/mpg-boosting-mods-101967/)

3min3m2 05-20-2007 02:31 AM

MPG boosting mods

with the recent increase(20+ cents) in gas, im curious if there is anything else i can do too boost the MPG of the tC

not that its bad in the first place, but a little more cant hurt

i already have the drift spec exhaust, crank pulley, ETD, and an itake(lets not argue wether or not an intake looses or increases MPG)

so far i average 25-26 city/highway mix, with a peak of 32-33 on long trips

anybody know of anything else??

ack154 05-20-2007 02:34 AM

If those are the actual numbers you're getting, you're not going to do any better than that that I know of. Unless someone has some magical secret that I haven't heard of.

engifineer 05-20-2007 02:40 AM

There are no magical mods to boost mpg short of limiting the throttle opening (aka.. dont push the pedal down as far :P )

And any money you spend increasing mpg normally outweighs the advantages anyway.

Ty_Max 05-20-2007 02:56 AM

^Weird question I never got answered....so say I go from second to fifth and just floor it...am I wasting as much gas if I floored it in second even though I am not rapidly going but my engine is pushing it?

Mugetsu 05-20-2007 02:56 AM

Very true, i have I/H/full exhaust and i drove with a heavy foot cause i thought that those mods made the car burn more fuel anyways.
well i changed my driving habits to keeping my revs to 3K while shifting during street driving and keep it to 70-75 mph on the high way(which is 80% of my daily driving) and my MPG increased quite nicely...

There are no magical mods to boost mpg short of limiting the throttle opening (aka.. dont push the pedal down as far Tongue )

And any money you spend increasing mpg normally outweighs the advantages anyway.

Mid_Life_tC-risis 05-20-2007 01:33 PM

^^Yes, only mod that will help mpg is a LEAD-ectomy performed on the right foot!

Accelerate like grandma. Coast to red lights. And one not talked about much - combine short trips whenever possible to maximize time driving when the engine is warm. The engine is very inefficient when cold.

3min3m2 05-21-2007 03:18 AM

i really didnt mean for this to turn into a dirivng habits arguement, because i was looking for something besides that
my numbers come from about 70%h/30%c normally, and i was driving normally at about 60-65 when i hit 32/33

i was just hoping there was something else to help...i thought exhaust were "free"(as in terms of fuel) horsepower?

CuRiOuSfIsH 05-21-2007 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ty_Max
^Weird question I never got answered....so say I go from second to fifth and just floor it...am I wasting as much gas if I floored it in second even though I am not rapidly going but my engine is pushing it?

that way you may end up wasting gas b/c youre flooding the cylinders, plus youre not going anywhere in 5th gear. RPM doesnt determine how much gas gets put into the cylinders.

Originally Posted by 3min3m2
i really didnt mean for this to turn into a dirivng habits arguement, because i was looking for something besides that
my numbers come from about 70%h/30%c normally, and i was driving normally at about 60-65 when i hit 32/33

i was just hoping there was something else to help...i thought exhaust were "free"(as in terms of fuel) horsepower?

actually stock exhaust would probably be best for MPG b/c of the backpressure. From my experience w/ exhausts and NA, the result is usually a loss of torque somewhere in the lower RPM, and that would usually cause the driver to step on the gas more in the lower RPMs.

Otocan 05-21-2007 05:37 AM

getting the car properly tuned for the octane you want to run and the modifications you currently have at a shop with an aftermarket engine management system will substantially increase your MPG - the more lean the combustion, the more power and less fuel that is consumed, but it will negatively affect your reliability as well

of course, doing this would cost you $800-$2,000 in hardware alone, not counting on tuning time to get it done properly

PRODIGY3000 05-21-2007 07:25 AM

The best mod for high MPG =YOU

InfideL 05-21-2007 08:38 AM

i am surprised no one mentioned weight reduction :)

Mugetsu 05-21-2007 04:10 PM

Maybe hes looking for a turbonator... :P

Mid_Life_tC-risis 05-21-2007 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by InfideL

Good one.

There's an old thread where somebody stripped his interior - took out back seat, spare tire, etc. - all the things MOST of us need or want but guess he didn't. Don't remember if he posted mpg gains, think he was just looking to get faster.

Bozuzu 05-22-2007 12:02 AM

oh yeah mugetsu, the turbonator, best $50 I ever spent. . . haha j/k :P

nyr197 05-22-2007 01:48 AM

do not neglect your tire pressure !

Otocan 05-22-2007 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mid_Life_tC-risis

Good one.

There's an old thread where somebody stripped his interior - took out back seat, spare tire, etc. - all the things MOST of us need or want but guess he didn't. Don't remember if he posted mpg gains, think he was just looking to get faster.

That'd be me, did it for racing, didn't need any of it

I only noticed about a 2MPG increase across the board, not worth mentioning really, that's within error range of about 4% - at a full tank a week saving 5% gas that's less than $100 in savings per year

Here's the post: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&&start=0

3min3m2 05-22-2007 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Otocan

Originally Posted by Mid_Life_tC-risis

Good one.

That'd be me, did it for racing, didn't need any of it

I only noticed about a 2MPG increase across the board, not worth mentioning really, that's within error range of about 4% - at a full tank a week saving 5% gas that's less than $100 in savings per year

Here's the post: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&&start=0

wow only 2 MPG...that sucks for all the work

i know driving style is the biggest deciding factor-keeping RPMs and throtle position down, and coasting whenever possible yields the maximum mileage(also dropping below 0..i have noticed a substantial difference between 70 and 60/65 driving speeds)

this just meant to see if there was any way to inrease this mileage-so far weight reduction is the only promising thing, and i reall feel like keeping my spare tire in the car, just in case.

rrimportracer 05-22-2007 04:30 PM

e-mamage, and leanout your afrs a bit

CarbonXe 05-22-2007 04:31 PM

Beat me to it :P . Weight reduction is the ONLY way to modify a car to increase performance AND efficiency simultaneously.

Dr_Isotope 05-22-2007 04:48 PM

Bump tire pressure up a few pounds all the way around, and increase the temp of your intake air. Route a hose from your intake to within about 6 inches of the heat shield on your manifold. Hotter air requires less fuel to burn. You could see a substantial increase in economy, coupled with a 20% or more drop in power.