Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

No Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exclamation No Oil Pressure

Monday on my way home from work my red oil light came on. I got off at the next exit and parked it. After letting the engine cool a bit (and enjoying a caramel sundae from McD's) I checked the oil level. It was a little low so I added a little. When I restarted the engine the red light was still on. I decided to brave it and got her the rest of the way home, taking back roads so I could keep the RPMs down. Once I got home I went ahead and changed the oil and filter cause I needed to anyway. Started the engine and the red light was still on. The next morning we put an oil pressure gauge on to see what it would read. 0 psi at idle and 3000. Went that afternoon and ordered a new pump. Fast forward to today. The oil pump came in this morning and I installed it this afternoon. Got the tC off the jack stands and still no pressure. Rolled her back into the garage and back on jack stands. I wanted to check to see if the pump was working so I took the oil filter off and turned the crank with a wrench. after a couple turns oil began to come out of the hole. So that makes me think that the pump itself is fine. I've looked to see if there are any external lines that could be kinked or leaking but I don't see any, I guess all the "lines" are internal.
Does anyone else have any other ideas on what's going on here?

Thanks in advance.

DC

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-29-2019 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 05-30-2010, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To be perfectly honest, that sir, is a sucky situation. Not being sure of proper oiling to the motor is sketchy and tracking it down is gonna be a nightmare. Have you tried replacing the Oil Pressure Sending Unit? It's right on the side of the head towards the driver side towards the front.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

0 oil pressure would destroy a motor almost instantly. Usually when you see the oil light come on its already too late. Check out the pressure sensor.

Any noises coming from the engine?
Old 05-30-2010, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There was a slight ticking, but after replacing the pump it went away.

As far as the sender, if it had died wouldn't the gauge still read fine? We put it right were the sender unit usually goes.

Last edited by C4NN0N1001; 05-30-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aww mannn...this happened to me which is why now i have a built block. ptuning resolved the problem after a lot of things they did. my core had a internal crack which was barely visible which was causing my oil pressure problems. it can be a ton of issues causing oil pressure problems tho. low oil, oil jet squirts, bad cylinder head. call ptuning and they can give you some info. i would do a compression test too.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Good idea
Old 06-11-2010, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, I'm still without a car. We've pulled the valve cover and timing cover off and checked the timing and everything. Got the engine put back together last night. She started just fine, but still no pressure. My dad took a zip-tie and stuck it in the hole where the pressure sender/oil gauge screw in. When he pulled it out there was fresh oil on the end. Is there some reason why the motor would get oil in some places but not at the pressure sender?
Old 06-11-2010, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to me it sounds like the sending unit on the head try replacing that also do a compression check
Old 06-14-2010, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How is the pressure sender, which is sitting on the counter 10 feet from the car, at fault?
Old 06-28-2010, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got the head pulled about an hour ago and started digging around. With a thin screwdriver you could feel something soft around the T where the oil galleys come together. I took a piece of copper wire and looped the end to make a hook. After a little more digging I pulled up a piece of red rubber. My best guess is that it's a piece of the oil filter gasket/oil control valve.
Reconstruction begins (again) tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:43 PM

Default Question regarding your oil pump replacement

I just ordered a new oil pump for my 2006 Scion tC. My question is, does the timing chain need to come off in order to change the oil pump? Someone told me it does but I figured I would ask to make sure. Thanks.

Originally Posted by C4NN0N1001
Monday on my way home from work my red oil light came on. I got off at the next exit and parked it. After letting the engine cool a bit (and enjoying a caramel sundae from McD's) I checked the oil level. It was a little low so I added a little. When I restarted the engine the red light was still on. I decided to brave it and got her the rest of the way home, taking back roads so I could keep the RPMs down. Once I got home I went ahead and changed the oil and filter cause I needed to anyway. Started the engine and the red light was still on. The next morning we put an oil pressure gauge on to see what it would read. 0 psi at idle and 3000. Went that afternoon and ordered a new pump. Fast forward to today. The oil pump came in this morning and I installed it this afternoon. Got the tC off the jack stands and still no pressure. Rolled her back into the garage and back on jack stands. I wanted to check to see if the pump was working so I took the oil filter off and turned the crank with a wrench. after a couple turns oil began to come out of the hole. So that makes me think that the pump itself is fine. I've looked to see if there are any external lines that could be kinked or leaking but I don't see any, I guess all the "lines" are internal.
Does anyone else have any other ideas on what's going on here?

Thanks in advance.

DC