Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Noise Coming from Engine. What could it be ? Does not look like it is the water pump

Old 07-23-2017, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Noise Coming from Engine. What could it be ? Does not look like it is the water pump

I have ~100k on my tC/2005. There is an odd sound which seems to be coming from the engine/hood. This started happening a few months ago i believe and i finally got time to look into it.

1) Noise comes when the car is moving/acceleration is not needed
2) Oil level is okay..I have not had a chance to change the oil yet which is way overdue but i do not think if that is it (i use mobil 1 synthentic oil and it has been ~10k since the last oil change)

i will post the sound clip also later. Plan to take it to a mechanic next week and wanted to see if anybody had any ideas on what could be making the sound.

i have read about the water pump but i have looked at the videos and it does not seem to be the problem. I may get it replaced anyway.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some more observations:
1) The noise is not there when the car is stationary; the engine sounds normal
2) As you speed, the engine sounds *heavy*
Old 07-25-2017, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is the audio clip:

soundcloud.com/user-235515409/170723_001a
Old 08-03-2017, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It sounds like what I had on my '07. Right before I deployed a few years ago my engine made a weird slightly low howling sound when I accelerated. My dad sent the car to the dealer to have it checked out and from what I remember it was the alternator and water pump that got switched out. Ever since then the sound has not come back and this was back in 2014. Hopefully that helps. By the way, Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil is not 100% synthetic. They stopped making 100% synthetic motor oil almost 20 years ago. Amsoil, Redline, Motul and a few other companies are the only ones that make a 100% synthetic oil that's sold in the states.

Search this Thread