Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Oil Consumption Test Fail

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 02:11 PM

Default More to the EOC test

Hi there,

We have an 09 xB and after two tests that passed the mechanics and service managers all don't understand why it's passing when it is burning more oil then it should without any leaks. The service manager at the dealership was going to try to get the approval for a 3rd test before the 6 month wait between tests but never got back to us. So we called HQ and after a 40 minute conversation with the rep he found out that we were the 3rd owner and that the owner before us never took it in for any routine maintenance for 3 years even though it was under warranty and that there could be another issue causing the oil loss and told us to have a diagnostic test run on it to determine if there is a leak and where that oil is going and that it might not be the EOC issue at all.

Again there are no signs of a leak, for example there are no oil spots in our parking space and after 5 oil changes and 2 top offs in 9 months they have never found any oil on the undercarriage of the car. So then if it's not the EOC and there are no dripping leaks then where would the oil be going in those amounts???

I find it very strange that no one at the dealership ever offered to run a diagnostic on it to see if there are any other possible causes yet they gave us a nice work up of other things that needed to be done like a transmission flush, throttle body cleaning, brake system flush, fix the front toe out by .2 points and a brake job but never once did any of the service techs or managers offer this to us.

Anyhow, we wanted to pass along this information that we got from HQ about getting a diagnostic done to rule everything else out. As far as the EOC tests... you get 3 and if they all pass then your just SOL. We LOVE our xB and are belly up on the loan and are stuck with it so if the engine fails then we are going to end up with a dead car and no money to fix it or replace it as Scion won't do a dang thing to fix it despite knowing darn well what the problem is and that there IS a problem. OH YEAH and if you are not the original owner then you CAN'T get the EOC tests done as it is out of warranty... so we are happy that they didn't catch that for the first two tests we had done at no cost. Hope this info helps others in the same boat.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-08-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I waited until the hottest months of the year to do my OCT. I ran the engine hard on the highway like I always do because obviously the engine is going to be using more oil the faster the pistons run and this little 2.4L is a high revving engine and it loves to run all day long between 3 and 4K rpm. Hell, they designed vvt to kick in at 4k rpm and pull MORE power out of this little engine. I do not feel bad for driving the car like it was meant to be, the little street racer that it is, and I will never know how much oil it really used because the entire system was sealed for the test but I knew it would fail because I was adding a little under a quart every week.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Um what? The tC is not a high revving engine. On the contrary, it has one of the lowest redlines of modern 4 cylinder engines of similar displacement. It also is most definitely not meant to be a "street racer". The 2AZFE engine is mass produced family sedan engine that debuted on Camry's and small SUVs. The tC just got it because it was already there. All that said, in theory heavy acceleration should increase oil consumption, as blow-by will pressurize the crankcase and some oil will be sent to burn through the PCV system.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I should've been more specific. high revving at highway speeds. I've never driven a car that sat pegged at such high rpm driving on the highway but this is more due to the transmission gearing they used in the 5-speed manual I suppose. from just driving the car daily for 4 years gives me the feeling that the engine is happier producing power above 3k than it is below.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The is true. The factory gears on the 5 -speed have very short ratios, so it does spin quite fast while cruising on the highway. Probably the reason why the 4 speed auto got better mileage which was very unusual at the time.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I should also mention my car is currently on the waiting list for the oil consumption rebuild.

The dealer told me the extended warranty covers different parts than the those referenced in the original TSB from 2011. Basically service manager told me that it would be a bottom end rebuild with new rings/seals and bearings.
When I asked about the replacement pistons he told me only if they were found to be damaged upon disassembly.

When I called Scion Customer Service Direct, they told me a similar story in which the procedure described in the TSB has nothing to do with the rebuild under the extended warranty coverage, even though the piston was described
as the ultimate cause of the oil consumption. I'm going to have to call Toyota Direct and speak with someone until I get some satisfaction. so far I'm scheduled for july 12th. they wanted to do a valve job for $850 and a water pump for $100.

I said I'd think about it...all I really want is a new clutch while it's out.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-17-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member

Check this video out before you get your test done.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:56 PM

Well, 08 tC just failed my 2nd attempt at the test. Mileage is over 150,000. When I asked the service manager, after hearing I failed. What’s going to happen about the part that were damaged due to low oil.
His pitch immediately changed to Oh Well they will pull out your engine and measure any possible damage. Then replace them.

For right now, I’m on a waiting list to be called, due to the space availability and demand for the repair. I'll keep ya posted if anything.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-17-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:00 PM

Dam, see and this is why this test is a big scam. Rather just keep adding the oil.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You guys should try the Seafoam treatment in the crankcase. I did mine about 8 months ago but I deployed shortly right after. Since returning it seems to have cut down on consumption just a little but I am using 0W-20 oil in this Texas heat, driving a lot on the highway so it'll evaporate a little quicker. If anyone is on BITOG you'll learn a great deal on oil, how it works, what's suited for their specific engines, why they are and a lot of great info on motor oil. By the way, Mobil 1 isn't the best oil currently on the market so we can totally put the biased (my grand daddy and father used this all the time) suggestions out of the way. Oil formulations change all the time.

So give it a shot and change up your oil to different ones to see if it cuts down on consumption but at the same time protecting engine components.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:39 PM
SL Member

I saw oil full synthetic at Amazon. This is an Amazon brand. On the label it say that is have more than minimum qualifications and passed some basic oil / engine lubrication tests. My car is Scion XB first generation 2004. When the engine start to consume oil (in the past), I switch to full synthetic oil. Looks like the Amazon oil is the second generation oil SN -Plus. By using this oil my oil consumption is less than by using conventional oil (5-30w). Also my spark plugs need to work at the proper temperature level to not interfere with the maximum engine body heat (so the cooling system will work at maximum performance). If the temperature is high the oil may become smoke (evaporate). Toyota have a lot of experience on making cars, good reputation history and long lasting miles Gas engines.

Last edited by Birsan; 12-25-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2006 tC Carbon Buildup..

I'm the original owner to my 06 tC and have 167k miles on it. 05-06 was not covered under the TSB.
I'm currently rebuilding my own engine. Pistons have a good amount of carbon buildup.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-08-2020 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-08-2020, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice pics and operating tables, slvrscion06. I wonder if the buildup is at least partially due to liquid PCV blow by. I read somewhere that liquid blowby is near zero octane which causes detonation and pits the crowns. The first pic looks like the piston is pitted along the outside edge. No biggie as you're taking care of business.

You're fortunate to have the 06 with normal oil passages and conventional oil rings. My 08 has narrow passages and the infamous, one-piece oil rings. What was Toyota thinking?

I missed the recall so I added an oil catch can. Despite emptying it every few months, I can't say whether it's reducing buildup.

Good luck with the repair.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:05 PM
SL Member

I saw on you tube about how to clean your interior Engine without opening the engine (Scoty Killmer.) To clean the interior of the engine was told to use the "Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner".
It is made by CRC. Must use as recommended by the directions printed on the side.
Also can be use to clean an open Engine, because contain highest % of detergent PEA.
I try on dirty car parts and yes is working like 30 - 40%. then I use Braklener for brakes. The store that sell those cleaners is Harbor Freight.

Now is the best time to work on the car, because we are ask to stay home, and should be more helpers available (day 10 of 15).
I like those picture with Scion car parts. I like to ask the moderator if I can be qualified to post some pictures with the car/car parts in the future?

Thank you.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-25-2020 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:57 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by Birsan
Now is the best time to work on the car, because we are ask to stay home, and should be more helpers available (day 10 of 15).
I like those picture with Scion car parts. I like to ask the moderator if I can be qualified to post some pictures with the car/car parts in the future?
Thank you.
Yes, Birsan. By all means. If you want to Post Pictures and Contribute to the Forum, by all means do so.
All Members are Invited to Post to any Forums. Just take Note to the Proper Forum:

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Sticky How to Post Pictures on (SL) Scion Life

MR LUV
Administrator