Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

P0606 after heavy rain (CEL) but car runs fine

Old 01-23-2010, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default P0606 after heavy rain (CEL) but car runs fine

Started on wednesday after school. Parked the car on campus in an open parking lot at 7a.m. and left around 7:30p.m. so my car sat in the worst of the rain for that day (and for those of you in SoCal you all know how heavy of a storm we are having..for california anyway lol).

After I started the car to leave the campus I noticed I had a CEL. Checked it with my Scangauge II and it pulled up P0606. Looked up the code and noticed it had something to do with the PCM. Tried clearing the code shortly after start up and the CEL came back for the same reason. Drove the car for about 10 minutes or so and was able to clear the code and keep the CEL off.

After clearing the code I went just about WOT for a second to see if the car was doing anything unusual but it felt fine (just fyi I wasn't speeding or anything like that just letting the revs climb up and probably maybe got the car up to about 35-40mph?).

At this point I figured it was some freak thing. Now on my way back from getting some lunch for work this evening I hit a puddle pulling into my works driveway (nothing to crazy deep..but a big puddle none the less) and the CEL came back on for the same reason and wouldn't clear.

Any ideas? I haven't had a chance to check it again because I'm at work till 11:30pm tonight but i'll try clearing it after I'm off if it's still on when I leave.

I just find it unusual because I've driven through some really deep puddles in the past in some fairly heavy rain with no issues (before and after going from a CAI to a SRI)

One thing worth mentioning though is my serpentine belt has been slipping for awhile on my NST pulley set. Do you guys think that combined with the heavy rain could cause the issue?

Last edited by XIEmperorIX; 01-23-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so after work I drove the car for about 10-15 minutes and tried resetting the code a few times. Also did a couple WOT pulls and it doesn't even seem to be that the car is affected in any way by the code being thrown.

I've done some digging and none of my symptoms match anything anyone else has had. Idle is fine (doesn't bounce up and down or try to stall or anything). Scan gauge shows that my MPG is still the same as it always is.

Basically I have noticed no irregularities since this code showed up earlier this evening :/.......
Old 01-23-2010, 08:03 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Well if you had actually sucked in a sufficient amount of water you probably would've hydro-locked the motor. But since you aren't experiencing anything seeming to be different with how it runs... It could be the humidity (especially after a rain like that) to affect it enough to throw the CEL.
With you mentioning about the belt(s) slipping... could contribute to it as well. Are you running OEM or aftermarket header? And also... are you running a full CAI? or setup as a short ram?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a short ram (originally a CAI..lost fender liner so converted to SRI) and I'm running a weapon*r header and spipe with the CEL eliminator that i've had 0 issues with.

CAI has been on since 07 and the header on since 08 so I doubt those are the problems.

Belts been slipping for several months now as well and i've driven through other (similarly) deep puddles since then.

So yeah..the CEL didn't show up the first time till after the car had been sitting in the rain for like 12 hours and it showed up this evening when I pulled into the driveway at my work and hit a puddle (that really wasn't THAT deep..i've been through much deeper) and it wasn't raining when i was pulling back into work.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:20 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

yeah...with your air intake being setup as a short ram.. you'd have to drive into a lake to soak it... but then the whole car would be totaled lol.

I have my CAI setup as a short ram and also have an aftermarket performance header... occasionally I will have that happen to me if it's been raining a lot, and with humidity being so high... with no other changes on the car, sounded like a plausible culprit to me.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I'll just keep an eye on it and try to update when I can then. The weather is clearing up so hopefully it doesn't rain for awhile.

Just to let anyone know - drove about 12-14 miles a little while ago and it still wouldn't clear but the car feels fine as far as I can tell. At one point it threw another code for a second but I cleared that one and it disappeared immediately but the p0606 is still there. The other code it threw was (i think) p0100 which apparently has to do with the MAF.

lol go figure the car is getting paid off next month and it's having issues
Old 01-23-2010, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so gonna bump this thread again and give another update..

I've done some reading on PCM's and found that water is a common culprit for damage of PCM. However, I still don't have any symptoms usually associated with this (dash/radio lights flashing, bad idle, engine cutting out, etc..)

Can anyone tell me the location of the PCM/ECM on the tC so I can take a look at it at least? I really hope I don't have to replace it..*sigh*
Old 01-24-2010, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

P0606 PCM Processor Fault

Coming from a Comp Eng student(in senior year) This can not be good. This means there is a processor error in your PCM. pretty much it got 2+2=5.

I'm not so sure as its relation to any after market parts.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok because the only fault I could possibly think of is the belt slipping..other than that I know my header and intake wouldn't cause that kind of issue.

So far the only solution I can come up with is to just replace the ECM but I don't know where it is to even inspect it first :/

and it still just baffles me that my car isn't showing any symptoms *knock on wood*
Old 01-24-2010, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Its behind the glove box. rather easy to access...

Good luck either way, I hope its not the ECU.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool..when i get a chance i'll take a look at it.

and efffff..go figure ____ starts happening right before it's paid off lol
Old 02-24-2010, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Any update on this issues? I just got the same code today but was able to clear it after 5 min. I also got a p0138 code with it.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It actually just went away on it's own a few days later and never came back. I'm wondering if something was wet and dried and it fixed itself? I have no clue lol
Old 02-24-2010, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

try unhooking the neg battery terminal for 15-30 min