Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Pulley Owners Stand Up / Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

With those numbers and the mods I think the car is an automatic. Cause stock manual is 139-140whp. Then with the crank pulley on a stock engine, if does the same, then it would be on the 150whp range.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's a better pic:

And here is from the thread on ZPI that he's talking about it:

left is me tC with s-pipe, ZPI mid pipe and trd axel back, right is 5 mins later with the ZPI crank pulley V.2.

The tq. was 145 on the left and 163.0 on the right
Even if the dyno seems low compared to other tC's, it still will show the gains.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've also been debating wether to get the underdrive pulley... the main reason why i wanted to get it is that i heard it helps ALOT w/ throttle response and our cars cuz i can't stand the lag we have cuz of our drive by wire system.... will this pulley help help our drive by wire less noticable and increase throttle response?
Old 06-10-2006, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I haven't heard something about that. But maybe I should put that into the "maybe helps" list on the first post. What do you think?
Old 06-10-2006, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The drive-by-wire lag is hardly noticeable. What you're probably feeling is a physical lag; the pedal itself has a dead zone that feels like it should be pulling a throttle cable but doesn't do anything for the TPS. If you get some washer in there to pre-depress the pedal to the right amount, your 'lag' will go away, or should, anyways.

Aside from that, a light weight pulley definitely helps immediately. The jury is still out on whether the oil chain complies with the laws of physics or not but if you overlook that, the light weight pulley is one of the most cost effective parts out there, especially if it's the NST 3pc set. You'll notice a quicker acceleration at all RPM if that's what you call throttle response, then it's there.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NST 3pc. sounds interesting. Would this work good on turbocharged tC ?? any turbo tC out there with the NST 3pc. ? -->how is it ??
Old 06-10-2006, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think I heard somewhere, that someone had it, but I don't remember where.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

An underdrive pulley or set like the NST one will "free up" more power on a turbo car than it would on an n/a. The idea is simple, the more power you start with the more power you will gain as a result of bolt ons. Think of it this way, 10% of 140 is what? and 10% of 200 is what? You get the idea
Old 06-10-2006, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

10% of 140 is 14, and 10% of 200 is 20, yhea I get the idea. :D
Old 06-11-2006, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think this should be definetley be a sticky cuz putting pulley on our cars has been controversial issue since they started sellen em... this way we can be aware of the updates on each car w/ these pulleys and find out for sure if this is a safe mod for our car or not
Old 06-11-2006, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

If we keep up this, maybe this may get somewhere. I´m just trying to keep people informed.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if any of you have ever spoken to mike from NST youd know that on top of being a VERY good salesman, he knows what hes talking about. i mean if i made pulleys for a living im sure id know what i was doing too. he told me that studies have shown that pulleys do in fact mess up car motors. but those studies have been done on race cars who spend 90% of their lives redlining it. a daily driver wont be redlining for its entire life.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

True, maybe I should e-mail him.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by soros151
With those numbers and the mods I think the car is an automatic. Cause stock manual is 139-140whp. Then with the crank pulley on a stock engine, if does the same, then it would be on the 150whp range.
No, no. The Dyno that they used was a dyno dynamics. it is real world numbers. The dynos your use to dont have a resistance factor accounted. The dyno dynamics actually gives you the results as if the car were to be actually driving with resistance. As explained to me @ ZPI's shootout when i went, and from Dynodynamics themselves. An automatic tC there with the k&n Intake, netted 108 WHP. TRD SC tC netted 166 i believe WHP. Hope that helps explain it...
Old 06-12-2006, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ok so somebody told me that the Alt pulley was actually bad for a car with a system. Is this true or were they just talking out of their ___? Also what exactly does the water pump pulley do? Does it flow more water or what? These are things I need to know before spending pointless money.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

If you only have the underdriven pulley, you would certainly have some loss of power, and the battery wouldn't charge as full as before. But Ithink that's why the NST pulleys have a set of 3 pulleys, to counter that effect. I THINK. But with an underdriven one only you will certainly have a negative effect on Big power sucker systems. But there are same diameter pulleys which would not affect the alternator output, but at same time is a lot lighter than the OEM pulley.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually the NST alternator pulley is an OVERDRIVE pulley which in theory should produce MORE power.ive also heard of mods people use to race where they switch off the alternator which i guess allows you to rev faster since youre running one less part
Old 06-12-2006, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by hiram
actually the NST alternator pulley is an OVERDRIVE pulley which in theory should produce MORE power.ive also heard of mods people use to race where they switch off the alternator which i guess allows you to rev faster since youre running one less part
nice, really good info and thanks for the correction. Any other please let me know.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by soros151
nice, really good info and thanks for the correction. Any other please let me know.
An underdrive pulley works by taking power away form other things such as the AC in order to help make more power. Yes, that does in fact take away from the alternator, but that doesn't mean an overdirve makes more power. It just drops the charging rpm to about 800 so it charges faster/more often.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Also what I meant to talk about was the crank pulley only, not the whole set. I meant that if the underdriven pulley is used alone then, yes, he would have a problem by itself, but with the set, no problem there.

Quick Reply: Pulley Owners Stand Up / Update