Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Repairs during oil consumption warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:15 AM

Default Repairs during oil consumption warranty

I have a 07 Tc with 175k miles. I am getting the extended warranty oil consumption work done and the dealer wants to replace the timing chain, vvt gear, and tensioner for $780 and do a valve job and machine the heads for $850... anyone know if I should go ahead and do this? Is that a decent price? They said all parts no labor cuz its already apart? They also wanna replace the head bolts for $150 but I think head bolts are one time use anyway and I should ask if that should be included in warranty work? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-20-2016, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

@ 175K miles it is a tired motor. A little refresh would be a good idea.
So if those costs are just parts, see if you can buy the parts yourself, as they're priced high from the dealer. They will try to nickle and dime you to make some extra coin.
If they do head work tell them you want to see the head before and after to make sure they actually do the work. you'd be surprised how shady some dealers can be. Price out a head service at a local machinist and see if you can take the head there to save some cash.
Regarding the head studs/bolts, They may have broken a head bolt and are trying to stick you with the cost. Check this as well.
If you plan on keeping the car I would ave the work done. It will be like a brand new motor! and with the upgrades, it will easily last another 200K
Good luck man.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by MasterZ
@ 175K miles it is a tired motor. A little refresh would be a good idea.
So if those costs are just parts, see if you can buy the parts yourself, as they're priced high from the dealer. They will try to nickle and dime you to make some extra coin.
If they do head work tell them you want to see the head before and after to make sure they actually do the work. you'd be surprised how shady some dealers can be. Price out a head service at a local machinist and see if you can take the head there to save some cash.
Regarding the head studs/bolts, They may have broken a head bolt and are trying to stick you with the cost. Check this as well.
If you plan on keeping the car I would ave the work done. It will be like a brand new motor! and with the upgrades, it will easily last another 200K
Good luck man.
Thank you for your reply I will do as much of that as possible... it just got a new clutch last year at 150k miles so as long as it lasts at least 2 more years I'm happy.. I feel alot better about this work now.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tc07365
Thank you for your reply I will do as much of that as possible... it just got a new clutch last year at 150k miles so as long as it lasts at least 2 more years I'm happy.. I feel alot better about this work now.
I will tell you that there is a design defect with the factory head bolts. It's what leads to the head separating from the block. It usually happens when the water pump fails, and that heating up pulls the cylinder away from the block. I am NOT defending the dealer at all, check the bolts that are in there and I bet you'll see none of them are broken. It sounds like this dealer is trying to get you to fix some of the design flaws instead of doing the minimum. Are they trying to make extra $$$? Could be, but a lot of this sounds like they're trying to make it where you won't have to have future work done. With this new work you're looking at more than 2 more years.. try another 200-300k miles!
Old 05-24-2016, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The defect isn't actually the head bolts themselves, but the internal threads in the block. When the engine overheats, the bolts are put in tension, and the threads in the block can get pulled out. The fix is actually drilling, tapping and inserting a helicoil into the block to replace the damaged threads. I haven't heard of an issue with the bolts themselves, but I could be wrong.

The work they are asking you for is not a bad idea considering the mileage, but clearly the dealer is trying to make some money on this as Toyota corporate gives them a crappy rate on the recall work. I would look at like this: If you're planning to keep the car until it dies, it's probably worth it. If you will be selling/trading the car in a year or two, I probably wouldn't bother.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:14 PM

headbolt gasket is also need or engine gasket kit. I didnt look at the date of post but the quotes your giving are very close to what I paid for machine work on the head from machinist and parts from rock auto and o'rilyes.