Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Replacing Manual Transmission Output Shaft Seal & Need HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 11:00 PM

Default Replacing Manual Transmission Output Shaft Seal & Need HELP!!

I replaced my driver side manual transmission output shaft seal today by following this vid among a few others.

Now I'm wondering if I need to get an alignment afterwards? I took off the exact parts in the video. I didn't make any markings and don't know what to mark either?

Secondly, I'm looking to change the passenger side transaxle / tran output shaft seal. It's leaking too. I'm wondering what else is involved? I found these steps below via this link. However, I'm not sure what the difference is?

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...ission-200516/

Originally Posted by csorrows View Post
I know this is an old thread but this came up in a search for how to replace the axle seal. I just did this and it was pretty simple, here is how I did it.

1) Loosen lug nuts on passenger wheel.

2) Raise front of vehicle and place on jack stands.

3) Remove transmission drain plug and drain fluid. Replace and tighten drain plug when empty.

4) Remove passenger wheel.

5) Remove brake caliper and ziptie to spring out of the way.

6) Remove brake rotor and place on towel so it wont get scratched.

7) Remove speed sensor and ziptie to spring to keep it safe.

Remove 2 nuts and 1 bolt from lower ball joint.

9) Remove pin and castle nut on tie rod and hammer out joint.

10) Mark then remove 2 lower strut bolts making sure you can put them back in exactly the same or your alignment will be jacked up.

11) Remove 2 bolts on carrier bearing.

12) Remove entire axle assembly as one piece making sure not to bent the shield on the inboard end.

13) Remove 2 sprung bolts on front and 2 bolts on back of S-Pipe.

14) Unplug OS sensor then remove S-Pipe.

15) Pop out axle seal from transmission. It will want to fall in then just pull out on it's side.

16) Rub transmission oil onto outside and inside of new seal.

17) Push seal into transmission. I was able to push mine in by hand. Stop when flush with outside of transmission housing as there is no lip to stop it from going all the way inside.

1 Reassemble everything in reverse order making sure not to bend the shield on the inboard end of the axle. Use blue thread locker on the 2 nuts and 1 bolt on the lower ball joint.

19) With vehicle back on the ground and level, remove the reverse switch on the top of the transmission and the hand slicer bracket next to it.

20) Remove the fill plug on the front of the transmission and place drip pan underneath.

21) Using a long funnel, fill the transmission through the reverse switch hole until fluid comes out the fill hole (about 2.6 qts).

22) Replace fill plug and remove drip pan.

23) Replace reverse switch then hand slicer bracket.

24) Clean up your mess and enjoy!

I may have missed some little details because I just wrote this from memory. The bulk of it is here.