Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/)
-   -   Scion tC Manual Transmission Problem (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/scion-tc-manual-transmission-problem-140814/)

sciontc_mich 10-19-2009 09:52 PM

^^ how many of those did you pay for? I know the first or 2nd were under warranty from what I remember?

And isn't there aftermarket parts by now for the synchros?

gwtc 10-20-2009 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich (Post 3342539)
^^ how many of those did you pay for? I know the first or 2nd were under warranty from what I remember?

All covered under warranty, but of course the 3rd one started grinding after my power train warranty had run out, not sure about the aftermarket synchros, woondering how much for parts and labor?

sciontc_mich 10-20-2009 06:12 AM

^^ hmmm.. for syncros.. I had them done on another manual car and it was like $400-500 to do the job. That was taking it apart, replacing it all, reinstalling.

gwtc 10-21-2009 03:13 AM

:ponder:, wish I had the money, but for now I'm trying to deal with a busted TRD SC :tap:

sciontc_mich 10-21-2009 07:43 AM

^^ wow bro sorry to hear about the SC. I've missed a little but I heard they stopped offering the SC.. why? because they broke?

gwtc 10-23-2009 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich (Post 3344720)
^^ wow bro sorry to hear about the SC. I've missed a little but I heard they stopped offering the SC.. why? because they broke?

Yup... they discontinued the SC for all models including the xB2, I'm sure it was because all of that warranty work they lost money on, bad installs had allot to do it with it, they should have giving proper training for this, I've looked at the installation instructions and the part where you mount the SC to the car is kinda vague(which led to techs kinda doing it their own way), plus not to mention the low speed bearings, cheap seals, crappy shaft they put in it didn't help either.

tolow2ce 11-21-2009 10:58 PM

I was having problems in june with a small grind when cold. It would go away after about 3 shifts. So I brought it in to get looked at by the regional manager, he called me and stated they didnt want to take any further action at this time. the miles on the car were around 35000 around that time. Well that small grind turned into a big grind by nov. same thing went away when it was shifted a couple of times. I made an appointment and this time they approved a tear down to see if it was cheaper for a rebuild or (new)replacement. miles are 45970 now. Here is what they found "test drove vehicle after it sat from 8:30 to 3:30pm. Trans shifted hard 1st to 2nd on up-shift. wants to grind and is not smooth, but does improve as trans warms up." Ok the good part. "removed trans, found#1 and #2 shift forks worn. input shaft gears scored and output shaft gears worn. #5 synchronizer assy broken, coming apart synchros and blocker rings badly worn. excessive clearance. priced out repair vs replacement. cheaper to replace trans. blah blah blah" I hope this helps answer some questions about this transmission. FFS imagine if I had a problem that didn't go away after 3 shifts.... lol

sciontc_mich 11-22-2009 05:48 AM

^^ glad that you got it fixed! Im surprised Toyota actually was good with you. That's great! but yeah that manual has had so many things along the way.

so how is it now? all smooth?

tolow2ce 11-22-2009 06:20 AM

Shifts like a M5. All of this kinda takes the fun out of the car. Its still sexy as hell but the plan for a turbonetics kit is not going to happen, no matter how much time has past. I like working on the car but not so much that i need to have two more transmissions sitting around. The new one on a shelf, one to beat on and a spare for the beat on. lol. I didn't mention the very first time I was in, they said I needed a new clutch and that was causing the problem. After I put a new one in, then they stated STFU there is nothing wrong with it. Wow, I would have been in jail had I let them charge me the 1400 to do the clutch and the problem was still there. Yea, its all fine now, but Ive been glued to this thread for most of the summer hoping someone would bring some news. I hope people realize this grinding when cold, is not a little deal and to get it taken care of before toyota PT warranty is up. When they tell you to add some additives, it may be a good idea to cross the line I didn't(only as a last resort of course... lol ehhh). If anyone wants a copy of my work order for a little arm bending, Ill be glad to scan it off. EDIT again: this is an 06

rrimportracer 11-22-2009 07:33 AM

Welcome to the club. It's the synchros for your grinding problem. And as for reverse it's a straight cut gear with no synchros that's why it is harder to get into gear. Poor design on toyotas part and maybe one day we'll see a recall but I highly doubt it

sciontc_mich 11-22-2009 05:31 PM

^^ I remember a toyota dealer warning me about the manual model. They said "yeah we had a stack of repair orders for the celica's transmission, it wasn't a very good manual. We've had nothing but repair after repair on that'. That was back when the tC first came out and I mentioned how notchy it felt even had some grinding and the car was brand new. I couldn't believe that service dept told me the truth about that. Very rare. So yeah they've been having trouble for a long time with the manual transmission.

Which doesn't make sense, guess they figure that the cost of repairing the transmissions that do fail is cheaper for them than to redesign a transmission with the supplier. pretty sad. I have to call it like it is when i say that Toyota will continue to lose customers with "quality" like this. I know every auto company has their problems but usually they fix it in the next model year or so.

Well i'm glad that tolow2ce got your trans fixed for now. But I wonder, how long will that fix last? and yeah you were SMART not letting them lie to you and make you pay $1400 for a clutch change. I mean really.. $1400? what a joke. Reminds me of when they quoted me $400-500 just to replace the brake pads! I nearly died laughing. So I just did the brakes myself, saving a ton of cash! but.. glad you got it fixed.. :)

05-sw-tc 11-27-2009 04:21 PM

I have 96,xxx miles on my 05 and the tranny shifts fine! I hope i don't run into this problem

vanillaTC 12-10-2009 08:19 PM

update

Originally Posted by vanillaTC (Post 3341656)
I have nearly 67K on my '05 TC. I had noticed the 'movement' of the gear shifter knob when in 5th gear but never thought much about it. Then today, I was on the highway with my cruise set at 70mph and out of nowhere it just slipped out of 5th gear into neutral. Since I was in cruise, my car was trying to keep the speed at 70mph, so my RPMs start soaring until I disengage cruise. Since then, I haven't been able to keep the car in 5th gear unless I physically hold the gear shift in 5th gear. If I take my hand off and press the gas, it will fall into neutral. I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say. 1-4 gears are all good, it's just 5th. For those of you who have noticed the movement in 5th when you press the gas, I would take it seriously and have it checked out. You may end up with the same problem as me.

As an update, I took the car to Toyota and they told me that it was not under warranty (it's a 60K warranty) and that it would cost $1300 to fix the 5th gear synchronizer and over $3000 for a new transmission. I called Toyota and told them that I understood that it wasn't under warranty but I still wanted them to pay for the service. It's not normal for a transmission to have this type of problem after 67K and if it is normal for Toyota, I will never buy another. It took a couple weeks of calling but they eventually called to tell me that they "found a warranty" to cover the entire cost of the 5th gear synchronizer repair. I would recommend that you call Toyota if you have a problem similar to mine.

pjchen 12-10-2009 09:54 PM

the synchronizer ring worn out

Hi everyone

just wonder if the synchronizer ring worn out.

Is this covered in warranty?

pjchen 12-11-2009 12:39 AM

a synchronizer ring problem.

What dealer you go ?

Are you in LA?

my got the 2nd problem, but the dealer seems don't want to fix it for me.

Mine is still in warranty.
They told me that it's the synchronizer ringring worn out.
They concern that part not include Warranty, is it true?

pjchen 12-11-2009 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by vanillaTC (Post 3397634)
As an update, I took the car to Toyota and they told me that it was not under warranty (it's a 60K warranty) and that it would cost $1300 to fix the 5th gear synchronizer and over $3000 for a new transmission. I called Toyota and told them that I understood that it wasn't under warranty but I still wanted them to pay for the service. It's not normal for a transmission to have this type of problem after 67K and if it is normal for Toyota, I will never buy another. It took a couple weeks of calling but they eventually called to tell me that they "found a warranty" to cover the entire cost of the 5th gear synchronizer repair. I would recommend that you call Toyota if you have a problem similar to mine.

which dealer you go?

pjchen 12-12-2009 01:02 AM

which dealer you go?

I am in LA

sciontc_mich 12-12-2009 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by pjchen (Post 3398945)
which dealer you go?

I am in LA

haven't had to go to the dealer about the transmission. I just remember being warned by a dealer when I was first shopping for the tC about how the manual trans in the tC was similar to the celica. And how they had a lot of problems with that so they said they bet they'd have a lot of work on the tC's manual. that's all i was saying.

oh and you messaged me before, didn't see that.

if yours is under warranty and they won't help you. then go to another dealer, and like i've said before. if they won't fix it, then get an attorney. Yeah I'm serious. If you have just driven it normally and no racing and the trans dies, like it has been in the manual tC's, they won't cover their obligation. Then it's time to pull out the attorney and watch them quickly help you.

Austin08tC 01-04-2010 02:30 AM

ok, so i've already had my transmission replaced at about 19000 miles on my 08.... When the transmission is cold it almost refuses to shift from 1 to 2. The synchro for 2nd is completely gone... its been grinding slightly ever since i got the new transmission... just lept getting worse.... ive been warned that the tC trans isnt all that great, just figured it was a little more durable than this... Going in next week to have the dealership look at and possibly replace it for the 2nd time. After they replace it im going to install an aftermarket clutch and better synchros along with a TRD short shifter. Hopefully it'll solve the problem...

TJKASS 01-04-2010 07:15 AM

pardon my french, but where are you finding aftermarket synchros for toyota transmissions? And if youre going through synchros that fast are you sure your clutch is disengaging fully? cuz ive never had a toyota box go less than 80k before getting a little notchy.

trungchau 02-05-2010 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by vanillaTC (Post 3341656)
I have nearly 67K on my '05 TC. I had noticed the 'movement' of the gear shifter knob when in 5th gear but never thought much about it. Then today, I was on the highway with my cruise set at 70mph and out of nowhere it just slipped out of 5th gear into neutral. Since I was in cruise, my car was trying to keep the speed at 70mph, so my RPMs start soaring until I disengage cruise. Since then, I haven't been able to keep the car in 5th gear unless I physically hold the gear shift in 5th gear. If I take my hand off and press the gas, it will fall into neutral. I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say. 1-4 gears are all good, it's just 5th. For those of you who have noticed the movement in 5th when you press the gas, I would take it seriously and have it checked out. You may end up with the same problem as me.

you ever find out what was wrong with this
i have not read through the whole thread yet, but i just had the same thing happen to me
one week ago driving home and would not stay in 5th
stock clutch with 73k on it and i just replaced the clutch thinking it may have been the clutch/pressure plate

trungchau 02-05-2010 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich (Post 3344720)

i think i may have had something to dowith that one

my car went through 7 SC and 5 blocks and my car is now stock and im staying paying out of my ___ for 2 SC's out of pocket

sciontc_mich 02-05-2010 01:25 AM

^^ yeah definitely had a "reliability issue" with that supercharger.. ouch. definitely stay stock if you want to keep an engine it seems. thanks for the update.

Laminate 03-18-2010 10:03 PM

i am also having the problem with grinding gears. it makes a grinding noise when shifting quickly into 3rd and into 5th at high rpm's. if you shift slowly it doesnt grind, and it grinds especially loud/often when its cold. sounds to me like im having the same problem everyone else is. 2005 with 79000 miles. my warranty expires at 90000 (bought it used with a new warranty for it) so im trying to get this problem fixed right away. I brought it to the dealership today and the tech test drove it, and of course shifted slowly so it didnt grind, said he'd call in the toyota extracare or whaterver people and get them to look at it, he said the decision is all up to the totoya care people and not the dealership. for some reason i dont think hes going to "find" anything wrong with my tranny, especially since i only have 11k miles left on my warranty. could anyone email me a copy of some service reports or something? i wanna have my facts straight when i get back into town after the weekend.

Laminate 03-18-2010 10:20 PM

oh, my email is Laminate@ikubed.com

and im also wondering if some of my mods could void warranty.

dc headers (cat delete, check engine light is not on)
s pipe
megan mid pipe
greddy exhaust
cold air intake

Laminate 03-25-2010 07:50 PM

yup sure enough evidently a for a 2005 car to have extremely grinding 3rd and 5th gears (they did confirm the synchro rings are bad) is just normal wear and not covered unless they are completely broken. they actually told me it was because of my driving. funny thing is, when i asked them to let me drive it for them and show them the problem they wouldnt let me drive it for them. they've never actually seen me drive it at all. so yeah im screwed my warranty will be up in 10k miles. and even if it was completely broken im sure they'd just blame it on me and wouldnt pay for it anyway.

so please, if anyone can help me im dead in the water here. anyone have service reports or anything at all that could help me?

sciontc_mich 03-26-2010 05:22 AM

more excuses, if they continue to not want to honor your warranty and give you excuses. Then the only other alternative you have is to get an attorney, and yes I'm serious.

Laminate 03-26-2010 05:25 PM

i think ive given up on them. im just gonna deal with it for now and eventually fix it myself. i just put in eneos gear oil just the other day and its not crunching as bad as it used to, just have to be careful in 3rd and 5th not to put it in so fast. synchro ring should only be around $150 and its not worth spending my time arguing or money on an attorney on it. and it could be fun fixing it. lol and also its been getting hotter during the day here as of like last week and isn crunching as bad, during cold months it was a lot worse. i live in louisiana so it isnt cold for long lol. i also found some used 2007 trannies w/ under 30k miles from wrecked tc's for around $400 so thats an option too, and then id have two and i could keep one and fix it and swap em again if i ever have the problem occur. either way it will wait for another day.

the whole problem is that the extended warranty is a different company than the factory warranty/dealership. the dealership told me they'd definitely fix it or even replace the whole transmission if it was up to them but the extended warranty people are picky as hell and sent an adjuster out to check it out (like an insurance company basically).

SciMeiji 03-27-2010 02:26 AM

Im kinda late to this thread but last summer i had some wicked grinding going from 1st to 2nd gear. U couldnt even baby it in, it was horrible. Got so bad i had to skip 2nd gear all together. I eventually took it into the dealer and they replaced the entire transmission without hesitation. I told em while they were in there they could replace the clutch with a stage 2 kevlar from CM and the flywheel with a the aluminum fidanza. Needless to say the car never drove better, shifting was butter and the out of pocket expense was less than a benjamin. Warrantys save lives.

sciontc_mich 03-27-2010 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Laminate (Post 3519535)
i think ive given up on them. im just gonna deal with it for now and eventually fix it myself.
the whole problem is that the extended warranty is a different company than the factory warranty/dealership. the dealership told me they'd definitely fix it or even replace the whole transmission if it was up to them but the extended warranty people are picky as hell and sent an adjuster out to check it out (like an insurance company basically).

well that's your right to not do anything. I don't get why you'd buy an extended warranty but yet just let them take your money without a fight.
And I thought it was Toyota's extended warranty, that would probably be real, these 3rd party warranties have always been a scam and never fixed a thing.

I would fight it, but hey that's up to you, good luck.

Cratos 09-09-2010 02:33 PM

My '06 tC started grinding going into 3rd a few months ago. I took it in and they want to replace the whole transmission for over $4200. My car currently has 65k mi on it. Conveniently just barely out of warranty. Does anyone have any advice for getting Toyota to pay for this under warranty? I heard there's nothing the dealership itself can do. Who should I call?

tokenride86 09-09-2010 07:06 PM

go to a trans shop and get it fixed, it might still be expensive but its just change compared to what the vultures at the dealer want

all the dealer mechanics do is replace crap. they never try to repair anything because of liability

michaelfengdayu 09-21-2010 04:46 AM

5th gear grind

Good to see i'm not alone.

I had 5th gear grind since 1 year ago. thought it's normal until last week i took it in for a check up and they said i need a new transmission(under warranty). Now it's in the shop and I will update the result. The dealer gave me a brand new Highlander as a loaner car!

michaelfengdayu 09-24-2010 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by michaelfengdayu (Post 3687524)
Good to see i'm not alone.

I had 5th gear grind since 1 year ago. thought it's normal until last week i took it in for a check up and they said i need a new transmission(under warranty). Now it's in the shop and I will update the result. The dealer gave me a brand new Highlander as a loaner car!

Transmission replaced, clutch surface replaced, something cover replaced.

No more 4th gear grind. Clutch is sensitive (guess because it's new).

geoldr 10-05-2010 05:58 PM

hello so ive read through all the posts, and this is whats happening with my car. Its a 2010 5 speed, i have about 5500 miles on it so its pretty new. When shifting from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd, you can hear a 'clunk' from the outside. But I think thats normal? But sometimes, especially when its cold, going into 2nd makes a "crunching" noise but its coming from the shifter, and its not grinding. Ive only had the griding once, in 3rd because i didnt put it in all the way by accident. Also lately, shifting into 5th also has a slight crunch coming from the gear shifter. It does not sound like its coming from the transmission. Is this normal or should I go to the dealership?

gwtc 10-05-2010 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by geoldr (Post 3697995)
hello so ive read through all the posts, and this is whats happening with my car. Its a 2010 5 speed, i have about 5500 miles on it so its pretty new. When shifting from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd, you can hear a 'clunk' from the outside. But I think thats normal? But sometimes, especially when its cold, going into 2nd makes a "crunching" noise but its coming from the shifter, and its not grinding. Ive only had the griding once, in 3rd because i didnt put it in all the way by accident. Also lately, shifting into 5th also has a slight crunch coming from the gear shifter. It does not sound like its coming from the transmission. Is this normal or should I go to the dealership?

No not normal, many of us have experienced similar problems and took it into the dealer ship and got the transmission replaced under warranty, this will only happen thou if you can replicate the problem at will, if its only once in a wild, I would wait until it happens all the time, to avoid them saying, "we were unable to replicate the problem" trust me its happened to me, good luck.

gman1877 11-23-2010 01:05 PM

help

ok, first off, i'm not a gear head, i just drive my car. I have a 2007 tc and 5th gear kept popping out when i'm on the freeway cruising. I was told my syncro is shot. Any opinions on the best and most affordable way to get this fixed. I know a tranny swap will cost me alot, i even found a few for under $400 on line (rebuilt form wrecked tc's) but don't want go into that expense unless i really have to.......any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

im me islandgman1877 (yahoo) or email islandgman1877@yahoo.com

trungchau 03-01-2011 03:54 PM

replaced transmission 10 months ago and is happening again
dealership has told me to get another transmission
not happy right now and will most likely be calling scion customer care to open up another case

maybe get the 6 speed swap from rob over descendant?

cdp1279 03-08-2011 06:50 PM

I gotta admit im really surprised how many of you have had tranny problems. Ive owned many cars alot of manual transmission honda's and a dsm where the syncros just suck, The Tc though had been one of the better and tougher trans in my opinion. I boosted my car at 32K which at that time put in a ACT Clutch, I replaced the stock tranny fluid at 50K with royal purple 75w-90 Gear oil which made the transmission shift much better all around especially when cold. Now I have 91k on my car, My car a ton of track passes and i dont shift my car very gentle at all. ocassionally i get a very slight grind going into 4th gear but its not a horrible grind and id say its only 1 outta 15 times and ussally im alittle faster then ive pushed in the clutch.. also i have dr. isotopes delrin shifter bushings and his short shifter which feel great and i have speedsource polyurathane motor mounts. now that i think about it have those mounts may have alot to do with the lack of tranny problems because i did have some grinding before i put the mounts in but never happend really after they were installed.. Ok ok sorry for the long winded ramble.

Cabana 03-20-2011 07:43 PM

I'm not sure if this is my tranny or not, but 3 times in the last day my car has done this weird hesitation in 2nd gear around 3-4k. I'll be on the gas (lightly) and the car just lurches forward like it lost power or something. Every time it happened I pressed in the clutch, shifted to 3rd, and then it was fine. This only happened in 2nd gear. I put it in neutral and revved it up without problem to see if it was the engine or not. Anyone have an idea what could be wrong? My car is a 2007 with 31k miles. I have a short shifter and a CAI. The tranny fluid was replaced at 30k a couple months ago.