Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Scion tC Manual Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TylerC08
I wouldn't worry so much about the shifter moving a tiny bit but resting your hand on the shift **** while in gear isn't the best thing for your transmission.
hmm i always have my hand on my shifter.... whys that bad?
Old 07-16-2008, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

too lazy to read

synchro's?
Old 07-16-2008, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol so my hand which isnt like pushing it up or down and just resting is going to affect synchros...... i doubt it show me a study done on this or im calling BS
Old 07-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

^ not aslong as ur not pressing down on it hard i dont do that more like resting it on to like shift or sumthing
Old 07-20-2008, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DToX69
i doubt it show me a study done on this or im calling BS
You may call it bs, I have no control over what you believe/don't believe on the forums. Manuals from previous German/import cars that I have owned stated in bold letters to not put any body weight on the shifter for long periods of time.

The weight of your arm, unconscious movements, imo can wear any moving parts inside the transmission. Myth or not, I would simply play it safe and use the arm rest which was put there for a reason.

A couple days ago I went to Toyota concerning rough and 'noisy' shifts. They looked it over for an hour or so. In the mean time, the mechanic at the service desk commented on the number of Scion tC owners concerned about their transmissions. Supposedly there has been an abnormal amount of customers with this complaint. I guess that was good news and bad news at the same time. Anywho, I got my car back and the service man at the desk asked me whether I race or put a lot of in-town miles on. Never race and I am only on the highway 24/7. Turns out at 6,500 miles I needed a transmission fluid change. Horrible viscosity with an extremely dark color. Mechanics were pretty confused but didn't have much of a reason as to why this happened. Drove off with my car shifting smoother than I did 2 hours earlier...
Old 07-20-2008, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had my trans fluid changed a month ago and i still once in awhile get it to grind from 2nd to 3rd, i dont want to bring it in yet because i cant make it happen everytime.... sometimes it does and other times it doesnt :/ so eventually it will get worse and hopefully i can show a technician what happens

on a side note i do rest my hand on the shifter and the armrest because thats whats comfortable to me :/ i dont shake my are or jerk it while driving, but if anything bad comes from it ehhh whatever ill learn then
Old 08-17-2008, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my tranny has been doing this the last 500 mile or so, i've got a 2007 and 35k miles on it. i drive the car about 1 or 2 days a week. i press the clutch all the way down and it grinds as if you let go to soon.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah i grind from 1st to 2nd. i took it into the dealer and what do you know, the car didn't make the noise. as soon as i drove it off the lot and shifted into 2nd, it grinded. son of a b!tch car.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed it only happens after a cold start, like i wake up in the morning and drive to work and if i shift quickly i get it 2nd to 3rd but it has never happened after the car was running for awhile
Old 03-23-2009, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member

Well I guess i am not alone on this one, My transmission is ____ed I believe and I SOOOOOO hope it is, because the representative at Toyota told me that if it was the clutch my extended warranty wouldn't cover it because that would be considered normal wear. I am sitting at 43,258 miles or so and my car is a 2007 tC. If it is my clutch, then I call it bull____!!! My old 86 Accord clutched lasted waaaaaaaay longer than that 140,000 miles to be exact. So right now I'm waiting to the dealership to call me back to see what's up with my car. If it is, in fact, my transmission then I give a -10 to Toyota for poor quality and will soon get rid of the car and go to a competitor. but then again we will have to wait and see.

Symptoms:

-Clutch feels normal and so does the shifting
-When I let the clutch go to launch the car, the car will not move and you can hear a grinding sound coming from the tranny.
-And last but not least.... the car simply won't GO
Old 03-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

o wow mine doesnt do that and my clutch is at 80k stock. i noticed on cold days shifting to 3rd feels a bit rougher but goes away
Old 03-23-2009, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member

mhh idk... kinda disappointed right now... my car made it to the dealership so they will call me later... today, tomorrow, whenever to see what's up
Old 06-27-2009, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i feel like this is one of those support groups for addictions lol
[stands up] "hi my names dan and my trans sucks and toyota screwed me."
[monotone response from crowd] "hi dan"
Old 06-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

lol
Old 06-27-2009, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member

wow, i totally forgot about this thread lol.... well it turned out to be my clutch, the ____er broke, literally broke, the center piece of the clutch broke off the friction plate, so it would take gear just fine, but when it was time to launch only the center piece would spin, that was the grinding noise I was hearing...oh and my fly wheel had too many burnt spots so they claimed the could not resurface it... oh well... well this is the shocker... they wanted 1600 to replace the bad parts including labor and all that funky jazz, this is with stock clutch, I called turbochargers.com and they would have charged me 1300 with a stage 3 clutch and a lightweight flywheel... well, when I came to pick up my car, my car from the dealership to take it to turbochargers, my front suspension was just being held by 2x4s axles hanging and such, i didn't realize that to get to the clutch, you gotta remove the tranny... duh!!!! lol, and they wanted 600 already for the labor, and like 300 to put it all back together (with the broken parts) so I said screw it, too much money already, so I ended up leaving it there at the dealership and I had them do what they needed to do, I just wanted my car back and running at that point, but I told them I wanted the TRD clutch put on the car instead of the stock one, so the total price for all that mess was a little over $2100 so they not only fingered me, they fisted me with sandpaper, and of course warranty did not cover the clutch, reason is because my extended warranty does not cover wear and tear/parts, even though I have never ever seen a clutch break like that, obviously manufacturer deffect. I have several friends with turbo and still with the stock clutch, no problem, only the normal wear from the clutch whenever it slips.... I guess Imy case was a special case... so lesson learned and 2100 bucks poor.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for those who had change to the redline gear oil is probably causing the grinding i say that cause when you go from oem to redline..it doesnt mix very well at first you feel a difference but after about 2k miles problems start to arise it happen to me i talk to a few people who had the same problems that couldnt get into gears and grinding and i found out to use eneos gear oil it works much much better then redline you feel the difference 100x better then the redline and mixes better with the oem but after awhile the oem or redline will eventually disappear....then you can continue using it..
Old 10-14-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by jackotamo
3-4 and 4-5 are always smooth shifts for me. 1-2 and 2-3 is only smooth if i accelerate slow but I feel like a grandma. Anyone know how to make it shift smoother without me looking like a frog?

quit racing, and down shifting.. end of story, honda style powershifting not letting off on the gas thats whatsup
Old 10-19-2009, 02:59 AM

Default manual falls out of 5th

I have nearly 67K on my '05 TC. I had noticed the 'movement' of the gear shifter **** when in 5th gear but never thought much about it. Then today, I was on the highway with my cruise set at 70mph and out of nowhere it just slipped out of 5th gear into neutral. Since I was in cruise, my car was trying to keep the speed at 70mph, so my RPMs start soaring until I disengage cruise. Since then, I haven't been able to keep the car in 5th gear unless I physically hold the gear shift in 5th gear. If I take my hand off and press the gas, it will fall into neutral. I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say. 1-4 gears are all good, it's just 5th. For those of you who have noticed the movement in 5th when you press the gas, I would take it seriously and have it checked out. You may end up with the same problem as me.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

glad i have an 07! I have only grinded 3rd cause i wasnt in gear fully when i let off the clutch. Other than that I dotn like the extreme torqueyness(< LOL) of 1st gear! But i do need to switch to eneos if there is a big improvement over stock.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an 05 tC with 130K miles, I have gone through 3 transmissions, the first one would grind into 5th gear at high RPM's, the second one would grind into second and now the one I have now grinds when down shifting into 3rd gear, WTF?.....I guess the 05's tranny is just a piece of junk due to cheap synchros.

Quick Reply: Scion tC Manual Transmission Problem