Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/)
-   -   Service engine light! P0171 or some combo, "too lean&qu (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/service-engine-light-p0171-some-combo-too-lean-qu-63966/)

magyver 06-24-2006 04:46 AM

Service engine light! P0171 or some combo, "too lean&qu

so i got a check engine light.. took it to work and had one of the car installers check it on the mac scanner.. i forgot to write down the code.. but it was like p 01717 or some crap like that.. and said "too lean" under it..

i did put in my own version of an intake but basicly just replaced the stock setup.. kept the MAF sensor in there and sealed it up.. so.. not sure.. we cleared it and it came back again.. any takers?

engifineer 06-24-2006 04:48 AM

Is the intake the same diameter as the one you took off?

surfcity40 06-24-2006 05:12 AM

you'll probably get some informed feedback in the appropriate n/a forum. i'm moving it there. it used to be called naturally aspired....now it's called drivetrain and power.

surfcity40 06-24-2006 05:17 AM

btw, " forgot to write down the code.. but it was like p 01717 or some crap like that.. and said "too lean" under it." isn't the best preamble to asking for informed advice.

"it's throwing up some numbers" doesn't help a lot. recheck the code and summary, someone may be able to help.

sleepermod 06-24-2006 08:16 AM

Magyver, The code is P0171 and description "System1 Bank 1 too lean" :nails: it means that somewhere along your car system there is a leak and more air than usual has entered and being recorded by the o2 sensors feeding back to the ECU in closed loop form.

I had the same problem when I installed the Injen SR intake and here is the solution... :P

Check all your vacuum tubing connections, remember you had to dislodge the vacuum tubing w little box leading to the VSV chamber canister? and relocate the same little box with the green plug to accomodate your new intake? Somehow along the way of removal/install, you may have caused a loose connection between nipple barbs therefore having a vacuum leak when the VSV is in operation.

My Scenario then :
I had the same problem with the CEL keep popin' up and the only code I had was P0171, checked the car like mad for leaks in the exhaust tubing, manifold gasket, donut gaskets, runner tubes on the headers etc....... And only to find that when I was about to close the hood, I casually pulled on the vacuum connections and one hose slipped out easily even with the stock clip on :doh: After clamping that hose down with a small worm gear clamp... Voila!! erased the stored code and no more CELs since then :clap: :clap:

Moral of this thread reply :tap: Don't be too sure of your connections even if they look secure for most part. Always re-check whatever you have fiddled with after the installation of anything :P

Hope it's the same problem and that the above findings of mine would help you and good luck :P