Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

P0335 (CKP Sensor Malfunction)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default P0335 (CKP Sensor Malfunction)

Ive been doing alot of searching but to no avail.. All i found out was it will throw if there is no signal for 4.7sec during cranking... or no signal for .0016 sec while rpm are 600 or higher

Anyone know any more about this code? It has thrown twice now....both while car was running. Idk if it was rich or lean...didnt look at afr gauge and dont have scantool either.

I thought it was my BOV venting to the atmosphere that was causing the problem but then i threw a CEL. I been watching guages closely and it still does it in deep vac (-20inHg) just not as bad, i think the BOV is just enhancing it by making the afr fatten out way rich... Could that be true??

Here is what its doing:
When coming to a stop, the rpm will fall to idle and then start to drop under 500 and rise back up to idle eventually leveling back out stoich. Sometimes it will stall out like if the BOV vents heavily, but its very rare.

Since our cars dont have a distributor... wouldnt the CKP sensor tell the ECM how much fuel and timing, Correct?? Thus causing my stumbling and weird bouncy afr?? Malfunction mean out? or just glitched? or some **** idk....

Would just like some opinions before i drop 120 on a new CKP sensor for no reason.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

It's from the F/IC resistor fix. Or lack of I should say.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=248460
Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
It's from the F/IC resistor fix. Or lack of I should say.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=248460

Wow so i have to mod my boomslang harness?? That would have been handy to know before i put it in the car...looks like im off to radio shack

Thanks Carbon!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

It's better to do it after you get the code. Some people (including myself) haven't run into the issue, so it would be a waste to do it before. Just follow the DIY, clear the code and hope it doesn't come back lol.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off, i know this thread is old but i didnt want to post a new thread, maybe somone can answer this for me. My a/fr has been haywire under normal driving load, and ive been throwing the p0335 code. My boomslang harness came with the resistor mod done, is it bossible the resistor has gone bad and is causing this issue, any help would be HUGE!!!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by troy2003
First off, i know this thread is old but i didnt want to post a new thread, maybe somone can answer this for me. My a/fr has been haywire under normal driving load, and ive been throwing the p0335 code. My boomslang harness came with the resistor mod done, is it bossible the resistor has gone bad and is causing this issue, any help would be HUGE!!!!!
It is extremely unlikely that the Boomslang installed resistors have failed causing an issue that AEM tech support swears doesn't exist in the first place. If your only code is p0335, you can try a new crank sensor or use an oscilloscope to trouble shoot that circuit (I did and discovered that the real problem is the FIC). Haywire AFRs suggest problems with the AFR sensor so look for any associated codes. If you're seeing a P0101 suspect your MAS. If you need a new MAS, the ND part is much cheaper than the Toyota part. Same goes for the AFR sensor. Just cross-reference the Toyota part # to Denso and save 50% or more. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
It is extremely unlikely that the Boomslang installed resistors have failed causing an issue that AEM tech support swears doesn't exist in the first place. If your only code is p0335, you can try a new crank sensor or use an oscilloscope to trouble shoot that circuit (I did and discovered that the real problem is the FIC). Haywire AFRs suggest problems with the AFR sensor so look for any associated codes. If you're seeing a P0101 suspect your MAS. If you need a new MAS, the ND part is much cheaper than the Toyota part. Same goes for the AFR sensor. Just cross-reference the Toyota part # to Denso and save 50% or more. Good luck.
well how about that, i am throwing an 02 sensor stuck in rich and also a maf code...i guess ill just have to save the money up and drive it like a granny like i have been!!. so much sh*t to fix, 2 broken jet ski's, sheared my throw out bearing for the second time in a year, shop said clutch looks brand new, just sheared the bearing....time to save to spend!!!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by troy2003
well how about that, i am throwing an 02 sensor stuck in rich and also a maf code...i guess ill just have to save the money up and drive it like a granny like i have been!!. so much sh*t to fix, 2 broken jet ski's, sheared my throw out bearing for the second time in a year, shop said clutch looks brand new, just sheared the bearing....time to save to spend!!!!!
My AFR sensor is hard to get to so when I had haywire AFRs and the "primary O2 stuck rich" code I replaced it with a new Denso sensor. Fixed all problems but cleaning the old one might have done the same. Worth a try if it's easy enough to get to. I'd been getting a P0101 code for 2 years but I attributed it to the turbo setup so I kept resetting the code and cleaning the MAS. After finally replacing the MAS, not only is the recurring P0101 gone but my AFRs are much steadier in closed loop.

Good luck Bro. The better the toys the bigger the cost.