Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/)
-   -   SNAPPED bracket peice K&N CAI : PICS INSIDE (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/snapped-bracket-peice-k-n-cai-pics-inside-33443/)

raytrix 08-29-2005 04:52 AM

SNAPPED bracket peice K&N CAI : PICS INSIDE

My friend and I were jus looking at our cars when i decide to open the hood and check my intake... and i find this...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...pedintake2.jpg

the part circled is what snapped off.. also my bolts are loose on the bottom part of the intake inside the fender..

i know what caused this and its my fault.. due to launching my car so hard and wheel hop i THINK its the reason it snapped..so please if u have had this problem tell me what u did to fix it.. thanks

ScionTCizzle 08-29-2005 05:03 AM

it happend to a friend of mine in scion evolution. He went down to scion speed and jason helped him with a spot weld. There is a rubber stopper there to help with the movement but that massive wheel hop will snap that off with no problem

raytrix 08-29-2005 05:13 AM

ya i think it happened when i launched really hard one time and the car jus started SHAKING wildly hahah well yaa i have an auto class so i am probably going to fix it there..

mr_lore 08-29-2005 05:15 AM

same thing happened to a guy in my car club, he got it re-welded as well.

raytrix 08-29-2005 05:16 AM

thanks for the fast responses guys.. in my auto class we have the tig welder i think thats what its called and also the gas welder so ya im probably going to try to do that..

ILLCRXSI 08-29-2005 05:23 AM

j.b. weld and duct tape. remember if you can't duc it then f<ck it :wink:

Marshall 08-29-2005 12:46 PM

Same thing happend to me while racing. I have since sold my CAI and replaced with my stock intake. If I need that bracket with the ZPI Turbo, then I will have to take it to a welder for a quick spot weld.

ScionTCizzle 08-29-2005 04:06 PM

Hey i might steal this thread but Marshall did you sell the CAI becasuse it snapped off the bracket or because you are going turbo?

Marshall 08-29-2005 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by ScionTCizzle
Hey i might steal this thread but Marshall did you sell the CAI becasuse it snapped off the bracket or because you are going turbo?

I sold it because I thought I would have had my Turbo already. :tap: *sighs*

dachmo 08-29-2005 04:44 PM

I had the same problem.... I havnt fixed it yet though. I was going to get a piece of metal and make my own bracket and bolt it to a new mounting point. :tap:

unlimited77 08-29-2005 05:54 PM

How do you keep it from breaking?
And is this only with the k&n cai or all of them?

or two fo them cai's hahahah.

ScionTCizzle 08-29-2005 11:23 PM

well you have two options to not snap off that brackets.
A. you dont launch bcuz most of the time you will start hopping worse than a mexican jumping bean
B. Dont slam it off the rev limiter bcuz if you ever see any dyno videos the engine moves ALOT when it hits the fuel cut off

unlimited77 08-30-2005 04:17 AM

Do you have a better pic of it by any chance..i cant tell what that is in that oic, sorry, but i was just waorring a bit about getting a cai, if it breaks something

raytrix 08-30-2005 06:13 PM

thanks for all the replies guys im prolly going to get the jb weld and fix it that way.. i will update with pics when finished..

Marshall 08-30-2005 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by raytrix
thanks for all the replies guys im prolly going to get the jb weld and fix it that way.. i will update with pics when finished..

Good luck man, it doesn't have to look pretty since it's hidden underneath. But if you want to, a little blast of black rustolium after the welds cool and you should be good to go.

ScionTCizzle 08-30-2005 10:24 PM

marshall thats actually a freakin good idea. I never thought of that

mr_lore 09-03-2005 03:21 AM

well damn it all I did my usual random under the hood check today and now mines broken too. I guess thats what we get for using a wireharness bracket to support 15lbs of CAI.

The_Instigator 09-03-2005 03:32 AM

15 lbs??? Mine broke too,but I just took it off altogether. I split a piece of black hose form kragen and put it over the edge of the fender opening. Now the pipe sits on the hose and doesnt rattle at all.

raytrix 09-03-2005 04:09 AM

alright guys heres an update..

i had to take the whole intake off in order to weld the peice back on
my auto teacher did it for me because i might have welded things
together in there thats not suppose to be welded. haha hey its not
easy to use that tig welder.. u need patience and lots of control..
well we used the Tig welder and it worked wonders. The bracket is now
firmly sitting still. I will post pics ASAP. I am jus very lucky i have an
auto class at my school haha.

raytrix 09-04-2005 09:02 PM

k here is a pic of the bracket..

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...ytrix/kntC.jpg