Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/)
-   -   Sputtering..Need help (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/sputtering-need-help-111150/)

macadonious 08-11-2007 02:24 PM

Sputtering..Need help

I attempted and failed to put on a CAI. I could not get the lower pipe in to save me life. That is neither nor there. I put the stock air unit back on, but now when the RPM goes up to 2900, it begins to sputter and kick like it is not getting enough air or the computer cannot make a judgment as to the right Air/fuel mixture. Everything as been checked and recheck, nothing is loose or out of place the MAF is correct and tight, no loose claps.
Please advise

frogbox 08-11-2007 06:07 PM

Sounds like your in "limp mode", try resetting your ecu by disconnecting your battery for a few minutes, then re-starting the car and let her idel for a few more minutes.

If re-setting your ecu doesn't work, try pulling thr codes to see what was messed up.

streetlethalxb 08-11-2007 06:14 PM

sounds like an air leak pass the MAF sensor.. recheck your fittings, the maf itself, and hose to the valve cover

installing your CAI.. remove the battery, put the lower end in first, you will have to release part of the harness by the headlight to put the filter in (if its large enough to touch) I would reinstall that.. make sure all the clamps are tight and your rubber at the MAF sensor that seals it, is not deformed.. but installing the CAI should only take 30 minutes.. try again, you'll get it in, and most likely cure your problem too.. while the battery is removed it will reset the ECU.. when you first start it up, it will idle high, make sure your a/c is off, wait until the idle returns to normal.. this is the idle learn procedure.

streetlethalxb 08-11-2007 06:16 PM

my bad, thought you had a box.. nevermind

macadonious 08-11-2007 08:15 PM

No I end up bring it to the deal and it was found to have a bad MAF sensor. This item was replaced and no more troubles. They did say they cleared the DTC's, what is that and how does one clear it?

streetlethalxb 08-11-2007 11:44 PM

they cleared the DTC..
the Diagnostic Trouble Code is a code generated by your
cars brain to describe to the tech what the problem is with a
sensor.. they found a DTC about your MAF, replaced the
MAF and erased the DTC from the cars computer, via a scanner that communicates with the car. they have to clear
the code, the car wont on its own.. if it (the DTC) did not return, then they did the right thing..

macadonious 08-12-2007 12:43 PM

ahhh, well that is good to know. To bad that is not something the average joe can do.
By the way streetlethalxb, the lower pipe would not work on the xA because the way the pipe is bent. It seems that when you attempt to manipulate it, the pipe, it will not rotate enough due the transmission and the batter plate. Oddly enough the two items that cannot be moves out of the way. This the Bomz CAI. I went to there website and looked at their CAI, and noticed that they do not mention the xA has a viable vehical. Now of course i got the item off ebay, but i was assured that the item would fit. Should have known better.

etsd2311 08-12-2007 02:35 PM

i have a injen intake and only when the a/c is on i have a sputtering problem at certian rpms...but with it off it runs strong...any suggestions?

Zebman 08-12-2007 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by etsd2311
i have a injen intake and only when the a/c is on i have a sputtering problem at certian rpms...but with it off it runs strong...any suggestions?

My car does that bone stock.

macadonious 08-12-2007 07:40 PM

It is the MAF asper the dealer. That would be the only reason that would happen

SickleCell 08-13-2007 04:35 AM

a bad MAF = Sputter and often then car shutting off.