Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Weld CAT onto 4-1 header???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Question Weld CAT onto 4-1 header???

Has anyone or know anyone that has welded a regular CAT or high-flow CAT onto any 4-1 header made for our first gen tC's? Dezod no longer makes the green header and was wondering if anyone has had a successful attempt to weld onto an existing 4-1 header.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haven't seen anyone do it, but Magnaflow makes two header/cat combo units for the tC. not sure if they add any performance, you would need to check on that.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Question

Originally Posted by Greg S
Haven't seen anyone do it, but Magnaflow makes two header/cat combo units for the tC. not sure if they add any performance, you would need to check on that.
Really? I thought the Magnaflow headers were just another OE type replacement? I'll look at them again.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

......OEM catalytic converters are designed to work under specific conditions and within certain designs.

The distance the cat is away from the cylinder head has an affect on it's efficiency. The cat being too close could cause the cat to heat up at a faster rate than it is designed for. A cat too far away from the cylinder head could cause the cat to not reach optimum operating temperature.

Something to think about when selecting an aftermarket cat.

True that a hotter cat works better for cleaning up tail pipe emissions, but a cat that is consistently operating above its optimum temperature will eventually fail alot sooner.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 18TTony
......OEM catalytic converters are designed to work under specific conditions and within certain designs.

The distance the cat is away from the cylinder head has an affect on it's efficiency. The cat being too close could cause the cat to heat up at a faster rate than it is designed for. A cat too far away from the cylinder head could cause the cat to not reach optimum operating temperature.

Something to think about when selecting an aftermarket cat.

True that a hotter cat works better for cleaning up tail pipe emissions, but a cat that is consistently operating above its optimum temperature will eventually fail alot sooner.
I'm aware of all of that. Reason why I asked on here is to see if it has been done other than by the good people from Dezod. A lot of aftermarket cats are hit or miss and by gathering more information through here I was going to see if it's even worth the trouble or not but thank you for your input as it will help others that are uneducated on the matter.