Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Alternator Not Charging Battery...HELP!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Alternator Not Charging Battery...HELP!!!

I've been using a 2002-2005 Toyota Camry Haynes Manual bc there isn't one available for the Scion yet, and ts been very helpful up to this point.

Long story short.. Car got in a wreck and was totaled. We bought it back, had our body shop guy fix it. I dropped an 05 engine in the 06 tC, and it fired right up. I''m having a few issues that i can't seem to pin point, and the Camry Manual isn't helping, bc I'm not sure the electrical systems are the same. The tC seems to drive OK, but what i didn't realize was the alternator wasn't charging the battery until my wife was stranded with a dead battery. i jumped it, and it would die after 5-10sec. I replaced the battery, drove it to a gas station, and it wouldn't restart. 2 days later, I arrange to meet a tow truck to haul it home. i get there, and it fires right up... TWICE, so i high tail it home, park it in the drive way. 2 hours later, I try to start it to pull it in the garage, and it doesn't start, just cranks and cranks, like at the gas station. now... i have checked all the fuses, relays, including the fuseable link, and everything checks out. I had a spare alternator so i swap it out with the bad one.... same results. car cranks, but wont fire. I pull the EFI relay, and swap it with the one in my 2005 Scion xB, and the tC fires right up. However, i meter the battery, and it shows 11.8 volt. turn the car off, meter the battery again, it shows 12.6 volts. So this alternator isn't charging the battery either. I double and triple check all the fuses, and none are blown. i jumped a piece of 4Awg wire from the battery to the alt. thinking the stock wire got damaged during the wreck or it just has a break in the line, but nothing. . i took the alt to Autozone to have it tested and it passed all the test so it would be safe to say the alt is not to cause of the charging problem. I have to assume that the connector on the alt triggers something else in the car that allows the charge to make its way back to the battery, and for whatever reason, its not operating like it should.

So i had 2 problems originally.... 1) the Alt. wont charge the battery, and 2) the car wont always start (but it would crank)

I wonder if the EFI relay was really the cause of the tC not starting. i try to start the xB (remember i put the bad relay in here), and it fires right up... 10 times in a row. now I'm completely baffled. So I start the tC.. fires right up over and over again.
The tC will actually start and drive fine (as fine as it will with a blow thru set up and not being re-tuned after i upgraded all the turbo components). so i would have to say that the starting problem is resolved.

Can you give me some advice or tell me something else to check other than the obvious fuses in the fuse box? I bought an online manual for the tC, and it had some stuff to check that the Camry Haynes manual didn't, but it all checks out. its driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and input,

Clay

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-22-2018 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Typos and Moved to Correct Forum by Moderator
Old 06-15-2009, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i should also note that the coolant fans do not work either. i dont think the relays are kicking the fans on. i'm using slim fans and have them wired to the ign for now until i can figure out the electrical gremlins.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

cliffs?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Sounds like maybe a ground was missed? I hate to say this but after searching for a long time I found a place to download the Electrical wiring diagrams for free on the tC of what year you need them.
If I find it I will post back. If worst comes to worst I can "you send it to you"

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-22-2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-15-2009, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I have the 07 tC electrical schematics saved..I have no way to post them so if u PM me an email address I can send them your way.
they are all PDF's sorted out in different systems.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-22-2018 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

100 Amp fuse for the alt also supplies power to several other circuits - could've popped it - a good indication is if its popped your ABS and Brake malfunction light will be on when the car is running its either 100 or 120 Amp can't remember
- it's in the under hood fuse box and labeled clearly. If you need anything gimme a call!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-22-2018 at 03:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-16-2009, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you could take the alt into autozone or something and have it checked. Isn't hard to take it out.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man... you guys... lmao. I already stated that I had AZ check the Alternator, and I checked all the fuses. the Alternator fuse is a 120amp FYI. But I ended up finding a wiring diagram for the tC, WHICH is different from the Camry with a 2AZ-FE. I got it fixed with in an hour of testing wires
and trouble shooting. It helps if you have the correct wiring diagram.. lol. The Red wire in the 4 pin plug of the Alternator somehow got pulled out. I didn't notice until I started testing wires bc it was in the rubber sleeve. Easy fix, and I have 100,000,000 more gray hairs bc of it.

Thanks for all the input and help guys.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-22-2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-22-2018, 08:53 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by boostHerWay
I've been using a 2002-2005 Toyota Camry Haynes Manual bc there isn't one available for the Scion yet, and ts been very helpful up to this point.

long story short.. Car got in a wreck and was totaled. We bought it back, had our body shop guy fix it. I dropped an 05 engine in the 06 tc, and it fired right up. i'm having a few issues that i can't seem to pin point, and the Camry Manual isn't helping, bc i'm not sure the electricle systems are the same. The tc seems to drive ok, but what i didn't realize was the alternator wasn't charging the battery until my wife was stranded with a dead battery. i jumped it, and it would die after 5-10sec. i replaced the battery, drove it to a gas station, and it wouldnt restart. 2 days later, i arrange to meet a tow truck to haul it home. i get there, and it fires right up... TWICE, so i high tail it home, park it in the drive way. 2 hours later, i try to start it to pull it in the garage, and it doesn't start, just cranks and cranks, like at the gas station. now... i have checked all the fuses, relays, including the fusable link, and everything checks out. I had a spare alternator so i swap it out with the bad one.... same results. car cranks, but wont fire. I pull the EFI relay, and swap it with the one in my 2005 Scion xb, and the tc fires right up. However, i meter the battery, and it shows 11.8 volt. turn the car off, meter the batt again, it shows 12.6 volts. So this alternator isn't charging the battery either. i double and tripple check all the fuses, and none are blown. i jumped a piece of 4awg wire from the battery to the alt. thinking the stock wire got damaged during the wreck or it just has a break in the line, but nothing. . i took the alt to autozone to have it tested and it passed all the test so it would be safe to say the alt is not to cause of the charging problem. i have to assume that the connector on the alt triggers something else in the car that allows the charge to make its way back to the battery, and for whaever reason, its not operating like it should

so i had 2 problems originally.... 1) the alt. wont charge the battery, and 2) the car wont always start (but it would crank)

i wonder if the EFI relay was really the cause of the tc not starting. i try to start the xb (remember i put the bad relay in here), and it fires right up... 10 times in a row. now i'm completly baffled. So i start the tc.. fires right up over and over again. The tc will actually start and drive fine (as fine as it will with a blow thru set up and not being re-tuned after i upgraded all the turbo components). so i would have to say that the starting problem is resolved.

can you give me some advice or tell me something else to check other than the obvious fuses in the fuse box? I bought an online manual for the tc, and it had some stuff to check that the Camry haynes manual didnt, but it all checks out. its driving me crazy!

thanks in advance for the suggestions and input,

Clay
I know this is an old old post.. but did you ever figure this one out?

*Moderator's Note: Yes, he did figure it out. Read the Post Above yours.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-22-2018 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Insert Moderator's Note