Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

tC Running Rich

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i went 5% in the rear windows and the back hatch pre cut ebay style like $20
Old 07-27-2011, 08:35 PM

Do u have a pic of ur hatch? i was thinkn bout doing 5% on the hatch and 20% on sides but wasnt sure how dark itd be since theyre factory tintd somewhat....
Old 07-28-2011, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mandystc
ok, so i guess it sounds about right. but thats kinda lame for such a large 4 cylinder. but anyway i do plan on tinting my windows here soon. couldnt decide how dark but i think im doing 20% all around. now just gotta buy the stuff. ;)
The other thing is that we have shorter gear ratios in the car for better acceleration, but it hurts our mpg.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know this post is a little dated but I would post anyways because I have recently been experiencing huge drops in MPG for the past few months and it is slowly getting worse. I have a 6 sp in a 2009 TC with a OS Giken Diff that was getting 30-32mpg for the longest time, talking almost 2 years. Now it has taking a dive last tank it averaged 26mpg. I know from reading the posts that this is about normal for most NA TC's however I have been doing little things here and there to help get it back up but it never stays.

I only have the TRD intake system under the hood, everything else on the motor is stock minus the tranny and suspension mods. When I finally dropped the car well over a year ago I was still getting the same mileage so I know it is not that.

I have ran the BG products through the car and it worked great but only for that tank. I use to get 130 miles at 3/4 tank and now im lucky if i can break 100 just to give you a better idea of mileage which has stayed the same since i bought the car in September 2008.

The plugs are iridum and about a year old, dont think they are the problem but will check to make sure one has fouled out. Recently replaced the MAF sensor because the car through a code for it and it figured 5 years almost was a good life, dont worry replaced with denso only. I didnt unplug the battery to rest the ecu so i will try that tonight after work. I have not cleaned the throttle body which I will be doing this weekend, might help some but not 5mpg worth. I know the vacuum line on the back of the engine head is starting to crack so it might have a vacuum leak but my question is wouldnt the CEL go off at that point?

Only other things I can think would be causing problems is a vacuum leak, something is rubbing and causing drag in the tranny/diff or the axles. I know this sounds unusual but the diff has 30+ plates inside it that may be engaging more often due to increased mileage. Might look to see if it can be rebuilt, have the stock diff to swap so I wont be down. I have noticed when downshifting the power is not there like it use to be, Most times I end up down in 4th because 5th doesnt feel the same as before. Possible a compression issue that needs investigating.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

100 for 1/4 tank used is pretty good. Keep in mind that mpg can be affected by many things, not all are controllable by you. Tire pressure, road conditions, air conditions, wheel alignment, mods, driving habits all can affect mpg. Even if you don't go past 50 mph, if you accel hard it'll drop your mpg.