Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/)
-   -   torque dampers...do they really work? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/torque-dampers-do-they-really-work-162664/)

TJxxAZUL 05-14-2009 01:11 AM

torque dampers...do they really work?

Ok I been thinking of buying a torque damper for my scion tc... But I want to know if its worth the money... N wat brands are the best...n also does it fit if I have a strut bar... Can anyone help..lol um thax

gingles 05-14-2009 01:24 AM

they work....doubt it will work with a strut bar

tCtCtC 05-14-2009 01:30 AM

They do nothing IMO. The only difference I noticed is that the car vibrates more than ever.
Save your money and get motor mounts.

charlie07tc 05-14-2009 01:43 AM

I've had both, yes the torque damper works, but only to an extent, I would say its not for serious racers. poly mount inserts cost about 1/3 the price of the ingalls etd, I've only put two of the mounts in place and have almost no wheel hop.
The rear mount is a pain to install so I'm waiting till I get my new clutch in july. I would reccommend having a shop press the bottom front mount in for you, its a nightmare to try your self. the mount under the intake and the rear are easy to press in, its just a pain to remove the rear mount.

TJxxAZUL 05-14-2009 01:56 AM

Oh...um but does it fit if I got a strut bar on... If not then its not worth buying right...

SP8TC 05-14-2009 01:58 AM

it fits with a strut bar. i know cuz i have that setup

TJxxAZUL 05-14-2009 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by SP8TC
it fits with a strut bar. i know cuz i have that setup

oh yea?... Do u have a
pic u can show me.... I wanna see how it look on... Do u?

huslindan 05-14-2009 02:02 AM

post pics cuz i have both also just never instailed the sturt bar

which one did you put on first ? and did you buy washers to make it even on the other side ?

SP8TC 05-14-2009 02:06 AM

i dont have pics un fortunately. but ill tell you that the damper is installed first, then the strut on top. i dont have washers on the other side, but really had no problems otherwise. make sure if and when you do get the damper, that you also buy sound deadening tape to keep the vibrations down.

BZinn1 05-14-2009 02:23 AM

rather tahn the damper try new motor mounts,they will work wonders at transfering power to the drive trane compared tothe stock ones and cost a lot less and do not break liek the dampers do on every car that has ever had one installed.

SP8TC 05-14-2009 02:34 AM

ive had my damper for 2 years, not a single problem. i just chose not to install the motor mounts cuz they are a pain to get in, especially the rear. i say this from experience. installed them on a friends tc a while back.

gingles 05-14-2009 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by charlie07tc
I've had both, yes the torque damper works, but only to an extent, I would say its not for serious racers. poly mount inserts cost about 1/3 the price of the ingalls etd, I've only put two of the mounts in place and have almost no wheel hop.
The rear mount is a pain to install so I'm waiting till I get my new clutch in july. I would reccommend having a shop press the bottom front mount in for you, its a nightmare to try your self. the mount under the intake and the rear are easy to press in, its just a pain to remove the rear mount.

ive never had wheel hop even without the torque damnper

ghosttc 05-14-2009 03:48 AM

yes they work very well...i noticed a huge difference when i installed mine!

ghosttc 05-14-2009 03:48 AM

mine is for sale if you want it.....

TJxxAZUL 05-14-2009 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by ghosttc
mine is for sale if you want it.....

wat brand... N how much for it?

ghosttc 05-14-2009 04:19 AM

weapon-r for $125 only used for like 5k miles

TJxxAZUL 05-14-2009 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by ghosttc
weapon-r for $125 only used for like 5k miles

why u want to sell it?... N did u had a strut bar on wen u had it.. N were u live?

g2autosports 05-14-2009 04:34 AM

Yes they do work and do the job they were made for, they will work with any strut bar, you just have to use a few washers on the other side to level out the strut bat, that's what I did when I used to have that set-up. I have 2 brand new DME ones for sale if anybody is interested check my signature and PM me, thank you.

ghosttc 05-14-2009 04:34 AM

yea i have all my stuff for sale that was on my car because i need the money and im selling my car...i had a TRD strut bar on with it and it fit perfect....i live in norcal in the bay area.

TJxxAZUL 05-14-2009 04:44 AM

Oh.....wat other stuff u got?... I'm a interested but if I do wanna buy it the how am I goin to get it?...n well I just got 100bucks to spend right now... Rent f me over lol....