Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Stock 2006 Tc cranks but, no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 10:56 PM
SL Member

Default Stock 2006 Tc cranks but, no start

Hopefully I didn’t over look a possible answer in any of the over threads I read that were similar. If so please point me in the right direction and I’ll go back and re-visit it.

2006 Scion Tc is stock. Replaced the motor with one from JDM Engine Zone (company claims ~62,000 miles on the engine) no warranty as I installed it myself. After installing the engine it ran fine for ~4k miles before no longer starting. Cranked it on the driveway and had it warming up, when I came back outside ~10 minutes later engine stopped and I’m unsure why. I’m familiar with the usual culprits air, fuel, spark and have troubleshot each area.

Fuel: removed rear seat and listened for the fuel pump. Then removed the fuel line going to the rail and checked the pressure. Saw 42 PSI during the cranks, attempted spraying starter fluid during cranks as well with no luck.

Spark: Replaced all four spark plugs and bought one coil pack. Tried cranking as I moved the coil pack to each cylinder attempting to start it each time. No luck

Codes: P0340 (camshaft position sensor, new code)
PXXXX (O2 sensor code, old code) had this code on both engines for >3 years.

checked all the fuses and swapped the relay for the horn and ignition to verify it wasn’t the culprit as well.

Camshaft Position Sensor: swapped this twice for brand new sensor with no luck.

At a loss for where to check next. Only thoughts I have at this point is to change the timing chain and position sensor to see if either may be the culprit hiding behind the P340 code. Anyone else experience something similar have thoughts on anything I can try or may have missed?
Old 12-31-2023, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stop wasting time & money replacing perfectly-working parts with brand-new perfectly-working parts and nothing changes!!! Will swapping all your tyres for new ones gonna get car to start?

You need to test and measure to find exact problem 1st, then replacing problem may fix it. But, most of time, like 99.99%, all parts are perfectly fine and issue is with corroded or broken wires or connectors.

Spark: Replaced all four spark plugs and bought one coil pack. Tried cranking as I moved the coil pack to each cylinder attempting to start it each time. No luck
So do you have or not have sparks when cranking engine? What are chances ALL four spark plugs and ALL four ignition-coils dying at exact same time?

Start with:

1. Measure battery voltage with everything OFF, volts = ???

2. Measure battery voltage during cranking, volts = ???

3. Key ON; measure power at each ignition-coil terminal, volts 1-4 = ???

Somewhere; some place, there will be number you measured that won’t match what manual says it should be. That’s area to take closer look and measure some more.

Also put ALL original parts back on car. Anything you replaced. They may have introduced addtional errors. Or test them on another identical car and verify they actually work. Then put them back on your car.