Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Forced Induction (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-forced-induction-1645/)
-   -   2008 Scion tC Turbo or a TRD Supercharger? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-forced-induction-1645/2008-scion-tc-turbo-trd-supercharger-236918/)

StarLord64 02-03-2019 01:54 AM

2008 Scion tC Turbo or a TRD Supercharger?

Hi all,
I've had my 2008 tC for about a year now, and I'm absolutely in love with it. It's a blast to drive, and I plan to drive it until it falls apart.
All that aside, I want to add some punch to it. From what I know, I could get more power from a nice turbo kit over a supercharger.
But, I feel like the Toyota supercharger is the better way to go if only because it's more designed for the tC's motor. That and I don't need a crazy amount of power, but it'd be fun to have some more power to play with.

I'm having a hard time finding a place or a way to tune my tC once I've installed what I need to (bigger injectors, supercharger itself, pulleys, etc). A couple mechanics that work for a performance shop near me have said that Toyota's are impossible
to tune because they have a closed-source programming for their ECU's or something, but I know that's not true. There are plenty of tC's scattered around on the internet with turbos and superchargers, along with two drifting tC's on Motor Trend's
Youtube channel that blow a Nissan GTR out of the water! I love my tC, and I'm willing to do the work to get it where I want, but I'm struggling to find the resources and the right people.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks a lot.

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Sticky How To Advanced Search SL (Scion Life)

Greg S 02-04-2019 06:49 PM

First, absolutely do not go with the TRD Supercharger. Just do a quick search on it and you'll see why Toyota discontinued it. As for tuning there is exactly one company that has actually cracked the Toyota ECU, Orange Virus Tuning. Almost all of the tCs that you see with boost either have piggyback units to run it or have stand alone engine management.

rhythmnsmoke 03-24-2019 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Greg S (Post 4292683)
First, absolutely do not go with the TRD Supercharger. Just do a quick search on it and you'll see why Toyota discontinued it. As for tuning there is exactly one company that has actually cracked the Toyota ECU, Orange Virus Tuning. Almost all of the tCs that you see with boost either have piggyback units to run it or have stand alone engine management.

I keep hearing about how OVT cracked the Toyota ECU. Can we get some verification of this? Do you have a link to anyone who has made a video of their features?

Greg S 03-25-2019 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke (Post 4293217)
I keep hearing about how OVT cracked the Toyota ECU. Can we get some verification of this? Do you have a link to anyone who has made a video of their features?

Here's one of the Matrix guys who had it done and dynoed the results. Same engine, drive train and ECU.

Here's one for a tC, but not a relevant since it's the 2.5L engine.