Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

AEM FIC Plain and Simple

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 03-24-2010, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElevationTC

Ahhh dear lord, Mike. If the damn Haltech unit would let me pass emissions, I'd be all over it. Having those types of options are freakin' sweet.

I guess I could always make a safe tune on the FIC just to get emissions (the other option being completely uninstalling my turbo kit once per year).
Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The oem ecu does this already, but not having a o2 sensor for it to check things out with is just making life harder..

90% of people i tune. Have no CEL, great gas milage and no bucks or miss's
Old 03-24-2010, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElevationTC
The oem ecu does this already, but not having a o2 sensor for it to check things out with is just making life harder..

90% of people i tune. Have no CEL, great gas milage and no bucks or miss's
How do you get around the CEL? I have a Toan-made tune so it's not crappy, haha. I guess I'm adding an anti-fouler, but I'm open to suggestions.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by gwopsta
if u dont know how to take everything posted on here w/ caution than ur dumb

but i'll edit the title if it makes u guys happy, F_ it it, i'll just close the thread

i thought i was doing something nice by posting a write up on MY EXP. WITH MY BLOW-THRU SETUP. but 4get it

but if any1 needs a almost perfect basemap and not that crap u get from dezod, holla at me

GOOD LUCK!!
You need to chill. Im not saying the thread you posted is a bad thing, its good to see you got this working great on your car. But the post you made can sound convincing to newly boosted guy scavenging for info, they will think its all that they will ever need. If it messed up their car by following this, doesnt mean they are dumb not taking caution but its because they are misled/informed using your methods. This method works for your use and maybe to some but not to all, you should let them know the other side of it too.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned
SL Member

oh and the fuel trims are made in the boost pressure fuel map, which measures atmospheric pressure and added boost, so i can tune for high altitudes and different sea-level pressure, what ever the altitude is it will still target 14.7 or whatever afr i want,

so that deads ur drive to Canada theory genius
Old 03-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Banned
SL Member

like i said, tune at ur own risk...........

Good luck!!
Old 03-24-2010, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and the fuel trims are made in the boost pressure fuel map, which measures atmospheric pressure and added boost, so i can tune for high altitudes and different sea-level pressure, what ever the altitude is it will still target 14.7 or whatever afr i want,

so that deads ur drive to Canada theory genius
Wow I was with you in this thread until this post. Now you're just a jerk (for a lack of a better word on a 'family site').

I'm pretty sure Mike knows a bit more about tuning that you. Be happy you got your crap to work without blowing up. Guaranteed it's not the best setup regardless. Stop being stupid and talking all this noise.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Banned
SL Member

i wasnt talking to mike.....try reading a little more, mike didnt make the canada comment
Old 03-24-2010, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wasnt talking to mike.....try reading a little more, mike didnt make the canada comment
Okay, I saw a Canada comment in one of Mike's posts. My mistake.

On 2nd thought... I'm out of here. It's the internet. Let's not take it too seriously and just help each other out.

Awesome you got your car running decent the way you did. I hope it works out for a long time!
Old 03-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Banned
SL Member

in fact ive already talked about having him tune my car as soon as i can work out this issue, and i did. im sure elevation has tuned and has more exp. than i ever will. if i was as good as him in tuning then i wouldnt have had the problems that ive posted in other threads would i??, think b4 u type...this whole write up was just another view of how to get around the problems we all face when boosting a tc. we should be happy people try different things out that way we have more insight on which way is the best way for ur particular setup, thats all this info is about
Old 03-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your right your tuned for atmoshpehric pressures, but if u knew anything about tuning and the fic you would know that the way the fic gets it map readings and interprets it is completely insane it doesnt buffer the signal so ur stuck with a choppy datalog and must get a good perfect tune, the hole canada thing wasnt just me talking bout atmosphric pressure it also ties into humidity, the amount of gasses in the air, this and that things that are all too complex for your brain to understand, im not saying im a master tuner, but even i was ab;e to tune my car perfectly in closed loop, and it took me the same amount of time it too you.... i even was able to make 222hp on 4.8 psi with my tune so im pretty sure it was a good tune

like stated befor egood luck adjusting your tirms....tool
Old 03-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there are no problems faced when tuning the fic besides maybe the amoutn of boost u can run and not being able to have full control of timing, but ummm ur refferring to closed loop, thats simple on the fic
Old 03-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and i bet you didnt know that depending on different parameters the factory uses different open loop maps did ya?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Banned
SL Member

congrats cburg ur a winnAR!! like i said b4 this info is there 4 people to use if they want, if ur boosted tc is ur daily than u mite want to keep ur factory o2 in, if ur concerned with ur afrs running .5 rich or lean, which isnt a big deal to me but it may be to u, my tc only sees the road 2days out the week, so if my gas milage suffers a little and i have a cel for a o2sensor missing im cool with that, but do what u want, i would call u a name back cburg but i really dont care that much : ) HAPPY BOOSTING !!!
Old 03-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Banned
SL Member

ur a genius cburg : ) no i didnt know that, u must be a mind reader too!! thats radical dude!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im sorry no factory o2 !...the uego works great

but it must be magic..........
You seem to be missing a very important point here. The FIC can not use UEGO AFR feedback to dynamically compensate for changing conditions like the oem ECU does in closed loop. The FIC-UEGO connection is for AFR logging purposes only. In no way does the UEGO take the place of the oem AFR sensor.

Anyway, I wouldn't do it, wouldn't recommend it to anyone but wish you luck with it.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
You seem to be missing a very important point here. The FIC can not use UEGO AFR feedback to dynamically compensate for changing conditions like the oem ECU does in closed loop. The FIC-UEGO connection is for AFR logging purposes only. In no way does the UEGO take the place of the oem AFR sensor.

Anyway, I wouldn't do it, wouldn't recommend it to anyone but wish you luck with it.

thank u sir!!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Banned
SL Member

After road-tunning the car richened up at any and all throttle settings at any boost level exactly like my fuel map told it to. partial throttle A/F was a whole lot better.

The only thing is that you will not be at a perfect 14.7:1-15.3:1 most of the time. I found I was in the upper 13's on the high-way and 14.3 in the traffic jams. Cold, hot dry or rainy the A/F did not fluctuate much it was close to 14 most of the time while off boost. I'm sure that MPG will suffer a little from the mod -but some gas money is cheaper than a new engine...and no more figting the ECU for closed-loop control!

This mod will give you a CEL it will read heater circuit oxygen sensor

like i said im not the only person who has gone this route, maybe i should find some1 who has a boosted tc i my area and compare driving in closed loop conditions, ive been boosted for over a year w/ a closed loop tune and the factory o2 sensor installed and closed loop driving was not very smooth at all,

the way my car feels now is like an untouched fresh off the lot tc, and i love it!!

i forgot what its like to drive this car so smoothly because it is a weekend car and used for street racing i didnt mind so much because i wasnt out just cruising around i was looking for victims lol, but now i see what ive been missing : )
Old 03-24-2010, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

something to think about real quick....(not sure if this is posted already but didnt want to go back and read)

the quickest and easiest way to tune closed loop is to do it in open loop...lol....let me explain, if you were to tune a warm car (using fuel map) with the primary 02 sensor unpluged you will not have the ecu trying to correct you. using just the fuel map add or subtract fuel till you reach your target afr. once you have found your target plug in your o2 sensor and using only the o2 map add or subtract voltage till you get your taget afr back. Doing this will make your fuel trims a low value, keep the cel away, and the ecu will be able to do corrections when the barrometric pressure, temp, and other factors change.

keep in mind the o2 has the last say in what happens on the next cycle when dealing with closed loop tuning.

Quick Reply: AEM FIC Plain and Simple