Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Another toasted s/c

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Another toasted s/c

I have had my s/c for 6 months, less than 8k miles. The bearings on the pulley side seized and the shaft spun inside of the bearings. when i took off the pulley side a heap of metal dust came out. Definitely something faulty with the superchargers. This shouldn't be happening if toyota did everything right, i know the blower is solid as many other cars use it without a problem. Hopefully it will be warrantied and i can get a new one, if not then its time to find a machine shop to make me a new supercharger shaft.... makes me nervous about my s/c now cause i don't feel like going through this every 6 months =(
Old 10-12-2008, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fix it, sell it, turbo it =)
Old 10-12-2008, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

buy mine! 15k miles no problems! I wish i could figure out why some last and some dont! Sucks bro! GL gettin it fixed
Old 10-12-2008, 04:09 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Oh lord, I had the same experience as you man, apparently my dealer was blaming it on the units sold by TRDSparks...i think the part itself may have some defects which are only fcked up even more by crappy installs.

sounds like a legit problem that will be warrantied no problem...that is..if everything is stock,.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Install was done by me and a buddy at his shop everything checked and rechecked. It was running so nice I thought it would never have a problem, recently dynoed 220 whp and 190tq with nst 9.5 pulley. I have many friends who are mechanics for many years now and they all say that its a bad design because the pulley bearings are sealed so they may be suffering from loss of lubrication over time. Hopefully the dealership will take care of it, but i'm not sure i will trust the unit again, its enough pain going to the dealership once for any repairs let alone every 6 months lol.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:20 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

hmm even less now due to the fact that you didnt have it installed at a dealer, I think your warranty is cut down to 6 months as opposed to a year.....

hmm and it happened after the pulley...which is exactly what happened to me. If I were you I'd buy one of KikCaffeine's S/C rebuilding kit, it might be the best mod you could do to your S/C
Old 10-12-2008, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by checho10
hmm even less now due to the fact that you didnt have it installed at a dealer, I think your warranty is cut down to 6 months as opposed to a year.....

hmm and it happened after the pulley...which is exactly what happened to me. If I were you I'd buy one of KikCaffeine's S/C rebuilding kit, it might be the best mod you could do to your S/C
Still a year warranty even if you do it yourself. I have kicks bearings, but they wouldnt help any right now anyway, shaft is toast. when you get something from a manufacturer like Toyota, you shouldn't need kicks bearings to fix their flaws.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:26 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

hmm thats only in a perfect world my friend...

From what my boy at Toyota told me, TRD has admitted to having a few defective parts on their systems, that's why they had a recall for their first line of S/C's
Old 10-12-2008, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did they replace your s/c with the same unit or one of the newer ones? I would be happy to keep the s/c if i knew i wouldn't have to worry about another failure in 6 months when my warranty no longer applies.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:33 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

yea in my case they replaced the TRD Supercharger with a TOYOTA Supercharger (idk how they somehow managed to explain that to me, in essence its the same piece) so they kept the defective one and put the new one on.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

You can still drive with it boned. It really shouldnt make a whole hell of a lot of difference. Im trying to remember what exactly I did on mine to fix it. I think I pushed a bearing on the pulley side and it popped back in to its little track. Actually I think there is a spacer there, and it may have popped out. Its like a c-clip looking thing.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what year was your tc gompka?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:40 PM
SL Member

Yea the PTR01 models are the bad ones PTR41 is the remake models, GL with your s/c, i know someone with a main unit for sale, i think he wants 900 for it pm me if your interested and ill contact him for you.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine is a PTR41-21005 model it says 06/06 Scion tc kit gen2 updated. I have the new bracket already on it. I'm hoping i can just get this resolved by toyota and have it last the next time around... worst case scenario i already have someone who can make me a new shaft, but like i said i shouldn't have to pay for things that are still under warranty, and even then who knows if it will happen again.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anotha one bites the dusttttt
Old 10-12-2008, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
anotha one bites the dusttttt
yea TRD FTL, only reason i got the supercharger is to keep warranty, would be ironic if i ended up not getting the warranty lol..... reeealy hope that won't be the case though.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol wow that wud suck big timeeee!

ive been against the s/c since day one. lol
Old 10-12-2008, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I remember when I bought my car in '04 they talked about this supercharger for a whole year before they actually released it...How does a whole year of testing not bring out the defects???? My buddy has replaced his 3 times now without any modifications...garbage
Old 10-13-2008, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka
it says 06/06 Scion tc kit gen2 updated.
My new one says 07. My first one was an 06 from Sparks.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's def. true TRD has admitted to having several problems with the bearings inside of the s/c, had an 05 tc come throught the shop a few months ago with a really loud rattle noise at idle and of course it was bearing failure luckily mine is still running smooth at least for now but there are some sites that offer rebuild kits but as everyone says u shouldnt have to go through with that which i agree on

Quick Reply: Another toasted s/c