Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Car majorly hesitated+smoke out the exhaust onWOT*(UPDATE!)*

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Car majorly hesitated+smoke out the exhaust onWOT*(UPDATE!)*

I was driving my car normally to Rite Aid and park and lala. After im done buying what I need to buy, my car hesitated majorly to start up. I had to literally crank the car about 6 times before it slowly started. After that happens, I pull out of the parking lot and notice when I start getting into boost, smoke comes out of my exhaust and is clearly visible upon headlights hitting the smoke. I get to my house, park it turn it off then turn it back on. The car sounds like its extremely hesitating to start, but now it cranks normal, just sounds way out of pitch.

There is also a little smoke coming somewhere near the supercharger cap or in that area. The main thing that concerns me is the sound of my cars startup now. Before it used to be a low tone startup and now it sounds like a higher weak startup. Anyone have any ideas for me to inspect or look out for? Thank you! Oh yeah, i'm running with the SC, 9.5 lbs, custom intake and an HKS BOV. Maybe the spark plugs are getting fouled? Maybe the starter is going bad?? I don't like my supercharger anymore
Old 02-03-2009, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

unfortunately, i'm not great on diagnosing things...but i can tell you that if you're running that setup with no reflash or tune from a piggyback...there's probably the root of the problem...do you at least have the reflash. Also, take a video of whats going on and some people might be able to help you better
Old 02-03-2009, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what i can tell your s/c may be eating up oil....trd s/c for ya.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah i'm on the reflash right now. I just installed it about a week ago and everything was running fine till now. I am getting a piggyback, just waiting for federal tax to come in. I think I might have to use federal tax money to fix my car if anything is wrong with it. I'll have to take a video on wednesday when im off. If there anymore input, please share!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it possible that the starter is going bad? The starter itself is the one sounding like it's dying. Any input?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Whats your mileage?

Check your plugs to see if they are fouled?

Is your car throwing any codes? Clean the maf?

What color is the smoke coming out of the exhaust?

Once the car is on, is your s/c whining louder than usual?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whatd u buy from rite aid?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My mileage is 95k, I haven't checked my plugs but ive had them since about 75k miles, My car is throwing a code, but i'm not sure what it is, I don't have a scan gauge. (Anywhere I could get it scanned for free?) The color of the smoke was white and it was pretty thick and when my car is on, the SC still sounds normal.

And I bought firelogs at rite aid LOL!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

bring it to autozone to check cel
Old 02-03-2009, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by HEYitzMEEE
My mileage is 95k, I haven't checked my plugs but ive had them since about 75k miles, My car is throwing a code, but i'm not sure what it is, I don't have a scan gauge. (Anywhere I could get it scanned for free?) The color of the smoke was white and it was pretty thick and when my car is on, the SC still sounds normal.

And I bought firelogs at rite aid LOL!!!
I think you can get it scanned for free at autozone, if i'm not mistaken.

You also might want to think about changing out the plugs.

Could be a bad 02 sensor, or dirty maf.

I don't think your problem is the starter. I'm at 80k miles, and no problems with it yet ^^ and it definitely won't be the cause of the smoke pouring out of your exhaust.

Is your idle stable? or is it searching excessively?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

k well i dont know much bout the s/c but iknow that autozone is free, and also that when i blew my turbo it was white smoke not blue like most people, your maf is not dirty because that will affect idle and driving too, could check plugs, though i feel it could not be that u should really pull those chargepipes and look for oil ive seen the s/c with major oil floating aorund in the chargepipes
Old 02-03-2009, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My idle is stable now, but when it hesitated it felt like it was about to stall any minute. And when I first installed my supercharger, I removed the pipes to have them better fit the SC and noticed they were slightly coated with oil. My blowoff flange has little specs of oil on it. I'll take it to autozone now and get it checked out, thanks I didnt know I could get it scanned there
Old 02-03-2009, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Could always get a compression test done as well.

=)
Old 02-04-2009, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay so Autozone doesn't lend out scan gauges anymore because of a lawsuit (In CA at least) so I have to wait till Saturday hopefully. My friend thinks that if I do have oil in my charge pipe, it might be being sent into the combustion chamber releasing the white gas out of my exhaust. So my SC seal might have gone extra bad and is sending oil through the charge air? (From the SC Intake)?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay so Autozone doesn't lend out scan gauges anymore because of a lawsuit (In CA at least) so I have to wait till Saturday hopefully. My friend thinks that if I do have oil in my charge pipe, it might be being sent into the combustion chamber releasing the white gas out of my exhaust. So my SC seal might have gone extra bad and is sending oil through the charge air? (From the SC Intake)?
your friend is correct, now stop being lazy and remove a chargepipe...not the intake, but the charged pipe and look/feel for oil
Old 02-04-2009, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2azfeboost
whatd u buy from rite aid?
lol.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cburglb34
your friend is correct, now stop being lazy and remove a chargepipe...not the intake, but the charged pipe and look/feel for oil
I'm not being lazy! Lol. I'm addicted and dedicate so much time to my car. Thing is, I work 40 hours per week and have 13 units of classes. Meaning I barely get time for my baby now . But tomorrow, fortunately i'm off so I will take a detailed look and add some pictures as well. We will see what the outcome is! Thank you guys, but let's keep discussing just in case I missed a possibility!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the smoke is white, its your coolant. Also, since your starter winds up higher that hints theres less resistance aka: the mix is compressing easier in some/all cylinders.

Bad news is this combo hints you likely have something thats causing the motor to lose compression. Hope its just your head gasket and not the block
Old 02-04-2009, 02:34 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

once again when i blew my turbo smoke was white...., but good point forgot all bout the compression
Old 02-04-2009, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have no idea how to do a compression test on my car lol. And would oil getting inside the combustion chamber have anything to do with me losing compression? I have a very good idea now that I have oil in my SC Intake and SC to Throttle body hose. I know it might sound dumb, but I literally have no other means of transportation, but how safe is it to drive my car?

Quick Reply: Car majorly hesitated+smoke out the exhaust onWOT*(UPDATE!)*