Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Coming soon: Boost!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm, so after a day or so, it doesn't seem to be doing it anymore. Either the ECU was still adapting having just been reset, or the Crank/Cam sensor output varies by ambient temperature, as I was having the stuttering when it was warmer out (90+). Still gotta keep an eye on this, but am going to proceed with the turbo kit install.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nevermind. It's still doing it. I clipped out the crank resistor altogether. No difference. This is getting frustrating. I just switched to z107.hex after speaking with AEM tech support. Gonna drive around on that a few days and see how things go.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No difference with z107. Just removed the fic harness. Gonna try removing all resistors. If that doesn't work,might try bypassing the cam sensor altogether. I really don't want to move further until this is resolved.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I went turbo, I checked everything, my harness appeared to have the resistor mod done as I believe it was a Boomslang harness. Anyways, I did not go into boost at all, car seem to run fine but when I took it to get tuned. It would sputter and in the high rpms in boost. Tuner said I may not have resistors done on my harness.
In the end he was able to tune my car, no sputtering or anything. So either I had the resistors like I originally thought or the tuner worked some kind of magic. May just be something you'll have to try taking to your tuner to work out. But I would go with the resistors in and also be running the z104 firmware on your FIC.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I decided to move forward regardless, hoping that it will be solved with the tune. It's intermittent, so I'm willing to take a chance. So far, I've got the the turbo and manifold mounted, AEM FIC installed, injectors installed, AEM UEGO, boost and oil pressure gauges installed and the intercooler and piping mocked up with zipties so I can play with alignment before drilling in the brackets to mount everything up. So close, but I ran out of daylight on Sunday and will have to continue next week.

So far, things look promising!
Old 10-26-2015, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbo kit is 99% in! Unfortunately, one of the injectors I got with the kit is stuck and will not flow any fuel. A replacement set is on order (I don't want to take chances with fuel). I put the stock injectors in for now and everything seems to be running well. Hopefully will have it running this weekend to drop off at the tuner.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Everything is installed! Will get tuned next weekend. Stay tuned for numbers...
Old 11-03-2015, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
Everything is installed! Will get tuned next weekend. Stay tuned for numbers...
Very nice! Glad you stuck with it. Will be interesting to see what kind of jam you put down.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks! The new injectors worked like a charm. I math-tuned the FIC using AEM's recommended fuel enrichment and the injector size change function. Got my short term fuel trims at idle fluctuating between +/-2% and zero LTFT, so I should be set there. I also preset the MAF clamp table, and target AFR with the O2 offset table. With all this already done, the tuner doesn't really have to know the intricacies of the FIC. He just needs to tune the fuel and ignition tables and be done with it.

Out of curiosity, how much boost are you running? My kit has the Synapse wastegate with adjustable boost levels. I'm setting mine at 7.7psi, and the next step up is 9.2psi. I was going to go for the higher setting, but I do have 116k on this motor (pushing my luck, lol). That said, I've owned this car new since 2005 and have maintained everything very well. Still runs like a top!
Old 11-04-2015, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks! The new injectors worked like a charm. I math-tuned the FIC using AEM's recommended fuel enrichment and the injector size change function. Got my short term fuel trims at idle fluctuating between +/-2% and zero LTFT, so I should be set there. I also preset the MAF clamp table, and target AFR with the O2 offset table. With all this already done, the tuner doesn't really have to know the intricacies of the FIC. He just needs to tune the fuel and ignition tables and be done with it.

Out of curiosity, how much boost are you running? My kit has the Synapse wastegate with adjustable boost levels. I'm setting mine at 7.7psi, and the next step up is 9.2psi. I was going to go for the higher setting, but I do have 116k on this motor (pushing my luck, lol). That said, I've owned this car new since 2005 and have maintained everything very well. Still runs like a top!
Those are some good trims. I bet she idles nice! I have been running anywhere from 7 to 12 psi but typically 10 psi around town and 12 at the strip. Ive got 137k miles on the old gal and she is still running strong. I have all the parts for a rebuild and a good beater so I am not too worried if I blow it up, however I am surprised it has lasted this long. Ive been boosted almost 30k miles and I have made probably 60-75 passes on this engine.

I have owned my tc since it was one year old and 46k on it and I also maintain my vehicles very well. If you are DD then 9.2psi will be fine. Maintaining your oil level is probably the best thing you can do. Keeps the chain lubed and less chance the turbo will be starved for some reason.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good to know. I may have the shop tune for both settings so at least I'll be running good AFRs regardless of how I choose to leave it. Gotta get in touch with them tonight and figure out the schedule. I need my car back!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good to know. I may have the shop tune for both settings so at least I'll be running good AFRs regardless of how I choose to leave it. Gotta get in touch with them tonight and figure out the schedule. I need my car back!
Just FYI I run the same tune from 7-12psi. From my understanding, and I am not an expert, he will be tuning to the load of the engine and not the pressure output of the turbo. From my experience my tune only fluctuates with barometric pressure and not turbine output. Of course that could mean Paul did a good job tuning my car
Old 11-06-2015, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Paul did your car? Yea I'd love to do that, but they are a bit too far for me. Still, the FIC isn't rocket science. My tuner routinely does standalones and is AEM Infinity certified, so I'm not concerned.

I'm pretty sure that generally if you tune for the higher psi, it should cover everything lower. However I'm also thinking that by doing wot runs at each desired setting, you can fine tune the AFRs more accurately than just estimating the fuel requirements at transition to peak boost. Makes more sense to me anyway...
Old 11-06-2015, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I ended up driving 8 hours out to Buffalo and back to get it tuned by him. Was a great trip and fun experience besides customs tearing apart all the little plastic clips in the back and breaking them all... They couldnt understand why I would drive through canada to get my car tuned I guess. But yeah, he told me its fine to run multiple boost levels (within reason) on the same tune. I think we tuned at 10 psi and he said up to 12 is ok but its pushing it, which to me meant run it at 12 psi

If you have the cash to pay for multiple tunes, go for it. However, depending on how shady your tuner is he may charge you for two tunes and just give you the one if he finds out that there arent any significant changes to be made. Then again I dont know what your relationship is like with him. My view is if Paul said its ok... im good lol. The more you dink around, the more you will learn about the car and you will start to work from experience. I want to attend one of the EFIUniversity courses when they come around next summer. I plan on going AEM Infinity for the ethanol support, more specifically the ethanol sensor picking up the content and adjusting on the fly. I would like to just roll up to the yellow pump and fill up (I live in MI). It really sucks around here because all the smart people have moved on. The Turbo tcs facebook group has some good people on there that are active if you do the facebook thing.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea all the really knowledgeable people are gone. Thankfully most of all of their great information is still available on the forums. I routinely refer back to post 5+ years old and have learned so much over the past few years. Wish a few guys were still around to bounce questions off, but at this point guys like us are trying to fill that roll for new questions that pop up from time to time.

The EFI course you mentioned sounds interesting. I just looked it up and it was offer right by me just a few weeks ago. I'll keep an eye out for another session. The EFI101 course is only about $600 which really isn't bad for what it is.

BTW, which Facebook group are you referring to? I looked for some a while back but the only ones I saw only discuss the FR-S/BR-Z
Old 11-07-2015, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah the EFI101 seems like the basics and the Advanced course is what I really would like to take as well as the Advanced Turbo concepts. Once I get 240 ran out to the garage and buy a welder ill be in gear to start making a better manifold. I have pretty poor boost control. I was told that the first gen Ptuning manifold has boost creep pretty bad.

Last edited by burgandybomber; 11-07-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, after a long saga of setback with my tuner (outside of his control) and AEM (multiple delays and issues sorting out my FIC), I finally got my car back after more than 2 months! I can't really get on it because it's too cold for the summer tires on it and just spins badly. It seems that the previous owner of the kit used the stiffer spring in the wastegate, as it's hitting ~10.3psi. I'm gonna reroute the vacuum lines on the Synapse Wastegate and drop down to about 8.3 psi. I can say that it hauls ___ in 4th gear on the highway, but I want a bit more piece of mind.

When I have time, I'm also gonna play with the fic maps and see if I can smooth out the idle. It surges between 300 and 1100rpm when I come to a stop. Hopefully Dezod's tutorial will help me fix this issue.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, after a long saga of setback with my tuner (outside of his control) and AEM (multiple delays and issues sorting out my FIC), I finally got my car back after more than 2 months! I can't really get on it because it's too cold for the summer tires on it and just spins badly. It seems that the previous owner of the kit used the stiffer spring in the wastegate, as it's hitting ~10.3psi. I'm gonna reroute the vacuum lines on the Synapse Wastegate and drop down to about 8.3 psi. I can say that it hauls ___ in 4th gear on the highway, but I want a bit more piece of mind.

When I have time, I'm also gonna play with the fic maps and see if I can smooth out the idle. It surges between 300 and 1100rpm when I come to a stop. Hopefully Dezod's tutorial will help me fix this issue.
Congrata bud. I had the same issue before Paul tuned my tc. It completely eliminated the issue. Once warm dry roads come about you'll be smiling ear to ear.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks. Unfortunately I still haven't sorted the surging issue. It's intermittent and occasionally will even stall out. According to my obd reader though, the fuel trims are perfect at idle. Im suspecting that the bov may be leaking, but the synchronic bov is a bit of a hassle. My plan is to recirculate it through the pcv nipple on the intake pipe after the MAF. I hope that's all it is. I just wish it was warmer so I could properly do a leak test.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks. Unfortunately I still haven't sorted the surging issue. It's intermittent and occasionally will even stall out. According to my obd reader though, the fuel trims are perfect at idle. Im suspecting that the bov may be leaking, but the synchronic bov is a bit of a hassle. My plan is to recirculate it through the pcv nipple on the intake pipe after the MAF. I hope that's all it is. I just wish it was warmer so I could properly do a leak test.
So originally I had posted that when getting my car tuned, my car would misfire while in boost which I believe my tuner did his best to fix. Generally the car would pull great with no misfire while pulling on the street or merging onto the freeway but I recently went to the track and when I would get back on the throttle while coming out of corners, my car would briefly misfire.

I decided that it could be that the harness for my FIC really didn't have the resistor mod already done to it. I did the resistor mod myself and while I haven't been back to the track to see if my car would misfire while getting back on the throttle.
Doing the resistor mod fixed idle and surging issues I was having when coming to a stop.
I don't know if your harness has the resistor mod done, but I originally thought that the resistor mod would only fix misfire issues while in boost, but for my car, it actually fixed idle and surging issues I was having, I'm also fairly sure I won't have anymore misfire when getting back on boost while on the track.

Quick Reply: Coming soon: Boost!