Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Daily driver tC turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have an ETA of Wednesday for a pickup. Hopefully I can make it out in time to get a video of the dyno. The plan is to stop by the drag strip on the way home and get slip to compare my stock runs.

Can anyone tell me if my clutch box looks like an "upgraded" one? The box says "PRO KIT" and they guys at the shop who installed it said NAPA was out of stock on the Exedy stock replacement and got me the next one up. What I took that as is "since you requested the Exedy brand and not the NAPA brand, we think they are giving you a deal but really just getting you what you asked for." The OEM replacement box images dont look like the box I got so I am trying to find out WTF is in my car. Thanks everyone!!!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There was another misunderstanding and the work was completed on getting it together. The tune is tomorrow, but since I am in class all day, I will be picking it up Friday night after work.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

217 horse at 7psi with a 2.5" exhaust with the silencer still in. Around 300 at 14 psi before they realized the previous owner used two 7psi springs and not a boost controller

They did everything they could to get the silencer out but didn't have a plasma cutter so ill have to cut it out if i get motivated at the weld shop on Tuesday. Tuned on a Mustang dyno so close to 260 at the crank. Defiantly happy with close to another 100 horse even though I doubt the clutch is giving me all of the power. I CAN NOT feel the clutch engage with the new front mount and extra torque. Very happy that they were able to get my car to idle like it did stock while never having tuned an FIC (only EMS)... although it never idled super clean in the first place, it has zero stalls, even when coming to a stop and it does that annoying rev surge. She had a few hiccups under partial throttle acceleration seeing a few pounds of boost but it seems to have gone away now the ECU has learned WTF is going on lol.

So far I have put about 500 miles on it over the weekend. I had to drive across the state the day I picked her up and she cruised real smooth. I was super excited about 33.26 MPG!!! That is up from 28 mpg highway. I saw 24.6 mixed with probably a quarter of the time seeing 0-7 psi.

A few things I am concerned about is that she is idling and cruising with 9 inches of vacuum. The recent post by Paul says he assumes it should idle about 20 inches. Also, it takes about 5 or 6 cranks by the starter to get her to fire up, up from 3 rotations stock. I am not overly concerned about this because it does start every time. Still need to install the Walbro 255 ASAP.

Cant thing of too much else to say about her other than I LOVE BOOST Peace yall.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:31 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by burgandybomber
217 horse at 7psi with a 2.5" exhaust with the silencer still in. Around 300 at 14 psi before they realized the previous owner used two 7psi springs and not a boost controller

They did everything they could to get the silencer out but didn't have a plasma cutter so ill have to cut it out if i get motivated at the weld shop on Tuesday. Tuned on a Mustang dyno so close to 260 at the crank. Defiantly happy with close to another 100 horse even though I doubt the clutch is giving me all of the power. I CAN NOT feel the clutch engage with the new front mount and extra torque. Very happy that they were able to get my car to idle like it did stock while never having tuned an FIC (only EMS)... although it never idled super clean in the first place, it has zero stalls, even when coming to a stop and it does that annoying rev surge. She had a few hiccups under partial throttle acceleration seeing a few pounds of boost but it seems to have gone away now the ECU has learned WTF is going on lol.

So far I have put about 500 miles on it over the weekend. I had to drive across the state the day I picked her up and she cruised real smooth. I was super excited about 33.26 MPG!!! That is up from 28 mpg highway. I saw 24.6 mixed with probably a quarter of the time seeing 0-7 psi.

A few things I am concerned about is that she is idling and cruising with 9 inches of vacuum. The recent post by Paul says he assumes it should idle about 20 inches. Also, it takes about 5 or 6 cranks by the starter to get her to fire up, up from 3 rotations stock. I am not overly concerned about this because it does start every time. Still need to install the Walbro 255 ASAP.

Cant thing of too much else to say about her other than I LOVE BOOST Peace yall.
Glad to hear you got it up and running. Mine has the same long cranking time..not really sure why but like you said it starts up every time so it doesn't concern me too much. Have fun!
Old 09-23-2013, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by alentz627
Glad to hear you got it up and running. Mine has the same long cranking time..not really sure why but like you said it starts up every time so it doesn't concern me too much. Have fun!
Thanks man! I was thinking it would never be finished I was thinking the long crank comes from the extra couple feet of pipe and the first few cranks don't move the turbine so there is just vacuum. Like you said, not a concern ATM. I am going to see if I can get the dyno but I honestly couldn't care less about the numbers.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Put 80 HARD miles in after work. I just couldn't stop driving. Put a few more cars on my DUSTED list. My coworker came came along in his Speed3 and needless to say he is going to need more go fast parts to keep up :D The look on other peoples faces when the atmospheric dump opens up is priceless. I am going to have to get some more pictures up asap.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by burgandybomber
Put 80 HARD miles in after work. I just couldn't stop driving. Put a few more cars on my DUSTED list. My coworker came came along in his Speed3 and needless to say he is going to need more go fast parts to keep up :D The look on other peoples faces when the atmospheric dump opens up is priceless. I am going to have to get some more pictures up asap.

very nice.....i have open dump too,and when it opens,at full throttle,its freaking loud,but wait,did that just come from a scion tc lol....
Old 09-24-2013, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by my06tc
very nice.....i have open dump too,and when it opens,at full throttle,its freaking loud,but wait,did that just come from a scion tc lol....
For me its like, did that just come from a tC with a fart cannon? Thats why I love me my raceland exhaust
Attached Thumbnails Daily driver tC turbo-dyno.jpg   Daily driver tC turbo-img_20130924_141938.jpg  

Last edited by burgandybomber; 09-24-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:09 PM
SL Member

Looks good man, what turbo are you running with your setup?
Old 09-25-2013, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks good man, what turbo are you running with your setup?
The kit comes with a Garrett T3/04E 57 trim .82 A/R. Should be good for up to 450 crank so I highly doubt I will ever replace anything on this kit. More than 400 horse in a daily FWD car is way over kill for me. I am pretty sure the stock crank is good for around 400 flywheel so I am going to stay under that and simply replace the pistons and rods come tax time. Giving her ANOTHER 100 at the wheels will be enough to spank anything rolling on the streets around me and keep up with the bolt on vettes... i hope lol
Old 09-25-2013, 04:04 PM
SL Member

It's good to see you plan on taking it to the next level. I've already decided that once I get mine back up and running smoothly I'm trading it in..well, selling it private party and moving on.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's good to see you plan on taking it to the next level. I've already decided that once I get mine back up and running smoothly I'm trading it in..well, selling it private party and moving on.
That sucks man I have had this car for too long, and replaced too many parts, for me to consider selling her. She is muh baybay! lol. Drive her till the wheels fall off! What cars are you considering? I was thinking about selling it pre boost and getting an '11 mustang v6 with a payment and I am very happy i didnt. Just pulled 26 mpg 50/50 driving seeing lots of boost. So I am seeing better MPG than that mustang gets, plus I have already pulled two 3.7 mustangs

I have a Ford 302 junk yard block sitting on a stand back home that I am deciding what I want to do with. Another thing I was going to do was leave the tC stock and build a v8 FC rx7. I come from a Ford family (growing up near the D) so thats where my Ford/Mustang love comes from DONT HATE! That is probably going to be my 400+ car.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:35 PM
SL Member

haha there's nothing wrong with Ford at all, although I do pull on my friends 4.6 Mustang all day long. I plan on moving into an STI, i've had enough of the FWD game.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Looking good. First time I've seen the intake pipe on the compressor that short. Then again, I haven't paid attention to the Auto version of the PTuning kit, as the intake extends all the way to under the fender on mine.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Looking good. First time I've seen the intake pipe on the compressor that short. Then again, I haven't paid attention to the Auto version of the PTuning kit, as the intake extends all the way to under the fender on mine.
Thanks man. I was wondering about that too. It extends into the fender on the current auto kit as well. This must be a fairly old kit because it doesn't have the Ptuning badge on the cold side. No meth bung either :/ Oh well. I wont need it to reach my power goal. It definitely was a low mile kit though. The manifold is still changing color. Much more blue from when it was installed. Lets hope the turbine provides many years of service
Old 09-26-2013, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Maybe a prototype build for auto's.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is that correct? Idle and cruise @ 9 in Hg? That's waaayyyyy too low. Surprised that you're not stalling. Sure there aren't any blown off pipes or throttle plate isn't stuck?
Old 09-27-2013, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by That_Kid_Ju
Is that correct? Idle and cruise @ 9 in Hg? That's waaayyyyy too low. Surprised that you're not stalling. Sure there aren't any blown off pipes or throttle plate isn't stuck?
It is actually 10 in Hg. The view of my gauge is kinda sideways. I am idling at 750 rpms and she holds revs just fine. It the vacuum doesn't jump all over at cruise, just stays steady 10 inches. I check the pipes every day and they are good n tight. Toyota dealer said there are "throttle body issues with 06-07 and they charge 140 to clean the throttle body." riiiiiiight
Old 09-28-2013, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone know where I can get a reaaaaly small glasspack muffler? I found a Jones exhaust 6" on Summit but it is aluminized. I need to stealth up my open dump... as much as I can anyways lmao. Made an RSX-S and an A4 1.8T look silly last night.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you running any antifouler on your downpipe? Any check engine light? I am running the same kit and after the tune i am getting a p0138 code for my second o2 sensor. Its not detecting the cat delete but saying its running high voltage. This is with the antifouler on. My o2 sensor seems to be working too so i dunno whats the problem.

Quick Reply: Daily driver tC turbo