Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Forced Induction (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-forced-induction-1645/)
-   -   Fuel smell after tuning, bad tune? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-forced-induction-1645/fuel-smell-after-tuning-bad-tune-196579/)

ARodvold 12-05-2010 10:50 PM

Fuel smell after tuning, bad tune?

Well after getting my car tuned it has been sitting outside of my house for a couple days. The weather started getting bad, so I decided to move it in my garage. I went in my garage the next day to look for something and smelled a distinct amount of gas, thinking it was my lawnmower. The next day I went in the garage to see if I could smell the gas again.... yup, it was still the same smell.

Before I got the tuning done on my car, the smell was never there, so my guess is its a bad tune. The injectors are 850cc and the orings were brand new.

is this because of the tune that I received. For my car?

Please feel free to flame me, but opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

speedy000 12-05-2010 11:07 PM

the o-rings were supposed to be from the oem injectors dont use the ones that come with the injectors.

ARodvold 12-05-2010 11:09 PM

I bought oem orings from the dealership, then installed then

x_Batman_x 12-05-2010 11:20 PM

I dont see how a bad tune would cause this. double check that you havent slightly pinched an O ring or something...

run the engine and look and smell around the injectors. twist each one a bit and see if you see fuel or if the smell increases.... keep someone in the car to shut it off incase gas starts spraying

DeAnzaJig 12-05-2010 11:42 PM

i had the same problem, it was because of the o rings. my car kept leaning out and i smelled gas, and sure enough it was leaking from the o-ring side of the injector. when you get it fixed, make sure you pay attention to your afrs cause you may have gotten it tuned with the problem, so when you fix it, it might be a little rich. I could be wrong, but it sounds logical to me.

crush02342002 12-06-2010 12:12 AM

iv seen injectors not seated in the grommets on the head, when this happens you can see fuel being sprayed while the engine is running or the intake manifold wet with fuel. its also possible that a fuel line is damaged. Do you have a return system? or walbro fuel pump?

crush02342002 12-06-2010 12:15 AM

btw iv used the orings on the dezod 850cc injectors without an issue but there is always a possibilty that there is a flaw, it happens. just curious, when the injectors were installed was lube used?

ARodvold 12-06-2010 02:24 AM

Crush2982947294742 =P - Thats exactly what I was thinking. When I was watching the guy install it he didnt lube the o-rings, and I asked him if he was going to, and he told me you didnt need to. When he told me that I was kinda worried something like this would happen. Hopefully tomorrow morning (When its warmer out) I will take it apart and pray that its just an O-ring.

Also, I dont have a fuel pump or Return line. Any suggestions on getting one? I just dont feel like getting another hole in my pocket for another tune.

crush02342002 12-06-2010 07:17 AM

return system would require a retune and if money is an issue, then no. as long as you are getting enough fuel (70% duty cycle or lower)on your current set up then your good for now.

lube will help the o-rings seal and makes it a little easier to install the injectors.
http://www.rtxs.com/xcart/product.ph...23dd79607046cd

also get it in those little packets as dielectric grease at autozone.

your on the right track i think, inspect the fuel system starting with the injectors. GL!

ARodvold 12-06-2010 06:04 PM

Alright, took off my engine shroud and looked where the injectors were..... nothing there. I then turned on the car and ran to look at the injectors again, while the car was running, I found 2 problems!

1. The BRAND NEW Gasket I bought from DEZOD. The Exhaust Manifold Gasket is leaking (only been on for 2 weeks). Now im thinking I have an Exhaust manifold crack

2. The first fuel injector to the left seems to be leaking gas or it could be this hose that has fuel around it as well.

The past couple of days I have had this huge headache and I cant really think straight and have been disoriented ever since. I realized that small amounts of gas and exhaust was coming from my vents that has created my headaches that wont go away, Hopefully this is temporary.

x_Batman_x 12-07-2010 12:48 AM

what manifold are you using?
did you buy it used?
do you have a flexpipe or springed bolts somewhere in your exhaust?

your injector probably just isnt seated right. Take the fuel rail back out and reseat it. You dont want to be driving around if its leaking.

ARodvold 12-07-2010 01:29 AM

When I pulled out the Fuel injectors, I noticed one of the o-rings were missing. Replaced it and its doing okay now, but I now have another problem. The Clips wont go back into the fuel injectors. 2 out of the 4 went in, but these other 2 are stubborn. I found out that the Weather Boot in the clip is busted up.

x_Batman_x 12-07-2010 01:59 AM

pics please

crush02342002 12-07-2010 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by ARodvold (Post 3735375)
When I pulled out the Fuel injectors, I noticed one of the o-rings were missing. Replaced it and its doing okay now, but I now have another problem. The Clips wont go back into the fuel injectors. 2 out of the 4 went in, but these other 2 are stubborn. I found out that the Weather Boot in the clip is busted up.

ugh..I know exactly what you mean..they bunch up sometimes when you try to clip em back in and it wont allow the connector to latch...iv gotten soo frustrated with em that iv pulled out the rubber pos and then clipped em in...lol...I dont suggest it but it has been done:crazy:...sometimes you can get lucky and use a small flat head screw driver to streighten the rubber piece out.

ARodvold 12-07-2010 06:14 PM

I decided to just rip them out =). Now I have to fix my exhaust manifold gasket, hopefully this will be the last problem I run into, just for now.

crush02342002 12-07-2010 06:18 PM

good luck!

BlckdOutTC 12-07-2010 11:09 PM

my car has the same smell you describe, and leaks in the same place, the far left on when looking at the bay standing in front of the car. First thing when i get home this weekend is checking the o-rings. i thought that was prolly it, just been to lazy to check em lol

ARodvold 12-07-2010 11:38 PM

Yes! check them, when I pulled out the injector the O-Ring was no where to be found.... Very odd imo. Now I need to find someone to come take off my manifold for this other leak. My Boyfriend is too lazy.

crush02342002 12-08-2010 12:13 AM

you need a new one then:wink:

BlckdOutTC 12-11-2010 09:14 PM

thats the 1 thing i didnt touch on my car was the fuel rail and injectors. i went for a tune and the guy out em in for me. how easy are they to pop out and put a new o ring on?