Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

How much boost can a stock 2AE-FE handle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:24 AM

Question How much boost can a stock 2AE-FE handle?

I currently have a custom piping and exhaust manifold setup but I wanna know how much boost a 2005 scion tc engine with 71k miles will hold. Looking to put 50mm wastegate and 12 psi. Currently at 8PSI Don't worry about traction, I got brand new NT555's all around. Car slips a little if I launch like an evo and second gear BARLEY slips with cold tires and doesn't slip at all when warmed up. Car will most likely be street tuned and not being tuned at UMS! They suck!

Under the hood and current setup: Name:  rDOgbgv.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  610.0 KB
Old 03-17-2014, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

10lbs.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Depends on how well it's tuned, how it's driven and maintained. Usually I say 325-350whp is the danger zone for a stock block.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Paul is right on the dot. I say once you go past 310whp even on a good tune it becomes a ticking bomb. Eventually a rod is going to give, I got two engines to prove it :-( My tC is currently sitting in the garage waiting for funds to get a long or short block depending on the head condition and build it up. Aiming for 500whp
Old 03-18-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Carlanga
Paul is right on the dot. I say once you go past 310whp even on a good tune it becomes a ticking bomb. Eventually a rod is going to give, I got two engines to prove it :-( My tC is currently sitting in the garage waiting for funds to get a long or short block depending on the head condition and build it up. Aiming for 500whp
So get forged rods and pistons and car will be good for 12+ psi? Or does it needs valves too? Maybe it will be a transbreaker :p
Old 03-18-2014, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pistons and rods will suffice for 500+hp on whatever boost, well over 12+ that's for sure, just as long as compression is 9:1 or close that way it's safe. Just building bottom end is fine. Although you don't need to build the head, the head should be machined and completely cleaned with a valve job and valve guides and bowl work. And yes, 500+ is a trans breaker. Ask Black Knight.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Pistons and rods will suffice for 500+hp on whatever boost, well over 12+ that's for sure, just as long as compression is 9:1 or close that way it's safe. Just building bottom end is fine. Although you don't need to build the head, the head should be machined and completely cleaned with a valve job and valve guides and bowl work. And yes, 500+ is a trans breaker. Ask Black Knight.
I need to fix my trans anyways. I wanna change final drive ALOT, and gears are starting to grind like crazy if you're doing any kinds of racing/w downshifts. 1st grinds if I'm going over 12mph and third grinds like half the time. Might be because my clutch is still engaging SLIGHTLY even though it's to the floor. I might just do that. rebuild trans and change final drive with forged rods and pistons.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why on earth would you put it in first at 12mph? Stock first gear shouldn't even have it put in unless you're stopped. Of course it's going to grind. It should be locking you out actually, so you really must be jamming it in there. I would advise against that.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:51 PM

Why on earth would you put it in first at 12mph? Stock first gear shouldn't even have it put in unless you're stopped. Of course it's going to grind. It should be locking you out actually, so you really must be jamming it in there. I would advise against that.
I'm pretty sure mine is just messed up :l I drove my brother's cobalt ss recently. my jesus, it is soo easy to drive compared to mine. Very light clutch pedal and easy smooth steering.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:37 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2T0neTC
I'm pretty sure mine is just messed up :l I drove my brother's cobalt ss recently. my jesus, it is soo easy to drive compared to mine. Very light clutch pedal and easy smooth steering.
GM actually did a real good job on the Cobalts. Factory turbo will always be better than N/A-T. Night and day. However, with N/A-T, you get the satisfaction of "built not bought"
Old 03-18-2014, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
GM actually did a real good job on the Cobalts. Factory turbo will always be better than N/A-T. Night and day. However, with N/A-T, you get the satisfaction of "built not bought"
Have you even watched TFATF? The built not bought is saying it's better to have a lower end car with a built engine and transmission than it is to buy a lambo or ferrari that comes stock 500 hp.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am playing around in the 7-9 psi range right now (a little under 4k miles) till I get new tires. Which speaking of tires, what size are you running? I cant find anything for a 17 that would fit in the NT555's. Looking at the Continental Extreme Contact DW right now because I was very satisfied with the DWS when it was stock. I really want the Michelin Pilot Sport's but the 140 dollar savings can buy more stuff lol.

Its an absurdly nice little car for the Big Bowtie to have made, but there is one thing that you can never change. Its still a Cobalt...

Have you even watched TFATF? The built not bought is saying it's better to have a lower end car with a built engine and transmission than it is to buy a lambo or ferrari that comes stock 500 hp.
The expression you get from cars that cost twice as much are twice as nice lol. Youll usually see or maybe , and sometimes .
Old 03-19-2014, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by burgandybomber
I am playing around in the 7-9 psi range right now (a little under 4k miles) till I get new tires. Which speaking of tires, what size are you running? I cant find anything for a 17 that would fit in the NT555's. Looking at the Continental Extreme Contact DW right now because I was very satisfied with the DWS when it was stock. I really want the Michelin Pilot Sport's but the 140 dollar savings can buy more stuff lol.
I think the smallest you can get NT555's is 18 inch. i'm running 225/40/18 all around in some Axis rims. My rears still have the little nipple things sticking out they're so new. The only time I spin is when I'm on less than half a tank.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude, did you even read what Paul wrote? He was completely agreeing with you in that factory turbo (ie the cobalt you love so much) is better than taking an N/A motor and making it turbo, which is 100% true. And all he was saying about built not bought is the satisfaction of knowing and feeling good about the drastic modifications you've made to your car. You can't feel that way about the cobalt if you leave it at as is. And that fact that you felt you had to bring ferrari's into the conversation is just sad...

What up Burgandy!! Where you been homie! Bump your thread and let's see what's going on!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just keep it at 8 psi until u build the bottom end. your going to break SH*t on the stock long block. and you can talk to dezod and ptunning for all your power need these guys have everything u need.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What up Burgandy!! Where you been homie! Bump your thread and let's see what's going on!
Im working on some things... hopefully I get my tax return soon and then the parts will flow lol.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool guy smirk. I love it.