Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

I know I'm crazy... but bear with me!! TURBO BUILD!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I know I'm crazy... but bear with me!! TURBO BUILD!!

Good morning Gentlemen (ladies too!!)

Alrighty... as the title suggests, I'm crazy, but please bear with me as I explain the situation and any insight or knowledge is greatly appreciated as I endeavor on my first boost build!!

So here's the skinny... yesterday a deal fell into my lap that I couldn't pass up... a turbo kit from Fastscions.com that originally cost over $5g, for $2g!! here's what I received... (taken straight from the website... reference purposes only!!)
TURBO KIT INCLUDES:
-Cast Iron T3/T4 Manifold
-Turbonetics T3/T4 Turbo w/ 3" V-Band
-Turbosmart 38mm External Wastegate (Recirculation Setup)
-Turbosmart BOV w/ Recirculation Setup
-Mishimoto Front Mount Intercooler (Gloss Black)
-Deatschwerks 550cc High-Flow Injectors
-Unichip EMS with PNP Harness (Turbo Base Map uploaded)
-Intercooler Piping Kit (Gloss Black) w/couplers, clamps & hardware
-Turbo Intake System w/ K&N High-Flow Filter
-3" V-Band Downpipe
-Turbo Oil Feed & Return Kit
-All Necessary Hardware, Brackets, Hoses, Clamps & Instructions for Complete & Straightforward Installation

Now, I know the guy personally that it came from (we are both Military) and the vehicle it was installed on and how it was driven...

So long story short... he had it installed, was having issues with the tune / how the vehicle was operating with it installed and some outside financial issues... he removed it and put the car back to N/A. It was only installed for about 6 months.

Here's the catch... it's for an xB2!!! Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the motors are the same for the tC1 and xB2... maybe I need to do a little more research... but hopefully (with minor changes) I can bolt this bad boy up, CORRECTLY mind you, and have a boosted tC.

Now, the Unichip has the base map already loaded, I'm going to assume this won't work?? Maybe it will?

Small odds and ends to purchase for this, I'm changing out the WG and BoV setups, some pipes need changing, etc... will be seeking advice for optimal parts to Frankenstein this kit. My goal is to make approximately 300-350 whp, with anywhere from 4-10 psi. If the numbers don't match up, again, forgive me this is my first boost build. I do have experience with SR20DET motors from my 240sx days, but that was all pre assembled...

Here's a couple pics of the turbo... I will add more and please forgive me, I don't know how to directly insert pics into the thread... and i'll add more as this goes on!!

Thanks in advance for your time, thoughts and comments!!

-Will
Attached Thumbnails I know I'm crazy... but bear with me!! TURBO BUILD!!-turbo-1.jpg   I know I'm crazy... but bear with me!! TURBO BUILD!!-turbo-2.jpg  
Old 01-06-2014, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FastScions are legit guys. Not sure why you couldn't just ask them. Either way, a quick call to Dezod or Descendant will square you up with exactly what you will need and what will work. I hope you get this thing bolted up and tuned man.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
FastScions are legit guys. Not sure why you couldn't just ask them. Either way, a quick call to Dezod or Descendant will square you up with exactly what you will need and what will work. I hope you get this thing bolted up and tuned man.
Yeah I more than likely was going to call someone... the customer service that my buddy got from FS was less than adequate... but ive never spoken with them and that was his say so... I give everyone a chance... but Dezod (Paul) is very close to my location...

Thanks for the well wishes!

Quick note I forgot to add... I have a Megan Drift spec cat-back exhaust coming from another troop with me in the squadron... he used it for one event and removed it... nothing like barely used parts!!
Old 01-06-2014, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guy, I'm glad you have a barely used exhaust, but 3" might be better for the horsepower you are trying to make. 2.5" just might not get it done. Megan is cool in that the swap out pipings for different diameters, so maybe you can look into that or something. You're tuner is going to advise 3" though, that is for sure.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read Dezod's stickied thread "Official Turbo FAQ's"... copied and pasted...

Exhaust:
I want a 3”! NO my son. 3” exhausts are only beneficial at a certain point. On most cases for what most people on these boards do or have, a 2.5” exhaust is perfect. If done correctly with mandrel bends and a good muffler, a 2.5” will be the best performing exhaust for a mildly boosted tC. It keeps exhaust temps hot enough to help them scavenge, which allows for faster turbo spoolup, and more horsepower. Too big of a pipe will cool the exhaust gases down. This creates turbulence and back pressure. The result is actually a loss of power. When you make enough boost, power, and heat, then you can consider a 3”, but until then, stay smart. Save your money and go with a 2.5”. Keep in mind a 2.5” weighs less and the 2HP loss from a 3” could actually perform better because now there’s less weight to push. This will allow for better handling and braking as well. It’s a small amount but every bit helps.

Again... a HUGE thanks for this thread... it's where I'm pulling most of my knowledge and ideas from... but the more info the merrier!

Also, anyone know a reputable tuner in the Buffalo/Rochester NY area?? Paul@Dezod... do you tune??!!

I literally just took the turbo over to New Era Performance to have it looked over... good part is that they said it is virtually a brand new turbo!! So the big piece of this build is good to go!! They also have offered up their in house dyno for me to tune on!! So now I just need to find someone who will travel!!

Last edited by FIREDOG21; 01-06-2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-06-2014, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FIREDOG21
a 2.5” will be the best performing exhaust for a mildly boosted tC.
I know this thread you posted, thank you. But it was best said right here which is exactly what I said in my last post to you. With the boost numbers that you want in order to hit 350hp like you mentioned in your original post, you will need a 3". I'm glad you found that thread you quoted was helpful for you to gain more insight on what approach to take and to learn what questions to ask. Search in the opposite direction and look at how many people started with a 2.5" and kicked themselves when they realized it was strictly the exhaust that was holding them back from what they wanted to achieve. I'm just trying to help man. Keep asking questions and you'll have the perfect set up. It's been almost 9 years since the first set up was done, so they have this down pat.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

@criminaltc-- I really hope I'm not coming off wrong... I cant begin to thank anyone and everyone for information!! I apologize, I'm not trying to sound like I'm arguing... just conversation lol I'm a research nut... I look at everything before I jump.

I will definitely look at a 3" option now... I just didn't want to hurt the car / performance ya know??

What constitutes "mildly boosted" now?? Lol... I thought 300ish WHP @ roughly 8 psi would be mild!! Hahaha considering ive seen 20+ psi on this forum!!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

More pics... figured everyone knows what piping looks like... got a bin full of it!!
Attached Thumbnails I know I'm crazy... but bear with me!! TURBO BUILD!!-turbo-3.jpg   I know I'm crazy... but bear with me!! TURBO BUILD!!-turbo-4.jpg   I know I'm crazy... but bear with me!! TURBO BUILD!!-tc-snow.jpg  
Old 01-06-2014, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh gosh no man. I never thought that for a second. I knew you were quoting information that you felt was a good reason to question a 3". You're good. And I certainly wasn't arguing either. Just helping and stating the case. 300hp and 8lbs is already flirting with mild. 10lbs will definitely need a 3". Yes, if there isn't enough power, the air circulation can "get lost" and create random airflow, however it isn't even noticeable, nor impacting on anything. In the past it has seemed to be a tactic by vendors in order to get rid of product they don't want sitting around anymore since they realize 2.5" is useless and no one bothers buying it, so they make up stories to sell it you know. Anything over 300hp is going to perform great and will not have this happen. Plus, a 3" exhaust will naturally create more boost without extra tuning. If you are staying conservative with the tune, then start out with the Megan that you have. Worst comes to worse, you have spend another grand on a new 3". I was just trying to save you that money. 2.5" is going to starve you a little bit.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh gosh no man. I never thought that for a second. I knew you were quoting information that you felt was a good reason to question a 3". You're good. And I certainly wasn't arguing either. Just helping and stating the case. 300hp and 8lbs is already flirting with mild. 10lbs will definitely need a 3". Yes, if there isn't enough power, the air circulation can "get lost" and create random airflow, however it isn't even noticeable, nor impacting on anything. In the past it has seemed to be a tactic by vendors in order to get rid of product they don't want sitting around anymore since they realize 2.5" is useless and no one bothers buying it, so they make up stories to sell it you know. Anything over 300hp is going to perform great and will not have this happen. Plus, a 3" exhaust will naturally create more boost without extra tuning. If you are staying conservative with the tune, then start out with the Megan that you have. Worst comes to worse, you have spend another grand on a new 3". I was just trying to save you that money. 2.5" is going to starve you a little bit.
Sweet... welp... I guess I'll have to shop around for exhaust! Haven't purchased the Megan yet... he was going to bring it to drill next month. Thanks!

More questions... as criminaltc found out... another thread regarding an xB to tC swap has / is happening. The manifold might be of concern given that the xB's manifold pushes the turbo farther to the driver's side of the engine bay instead of centering it on the motor like some of the tC's manifolds I've seen...

I'm assuming running an equal tube length header would be over kill in my application, given I'm not trying to push any severe HP limits or making this a permanent track car... a very fun and energetic DD is my goal!! So, will the basic turbo manifold (if needed) will be more than adequate for this?? This question is sorta aimed @ Dezod haha
Old 01-06-2014, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get rid of the Unichip. There is a good reason why all the reputable companies that sell turbo systems for the tC don't include it with their system. You will have a hard time finding someone who can tune it and an even harder time finding a good tuner especially one with experience with a tC.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im boosted with a 2.5 inch exhaust on 10 psi doing 320 whp...im going to be doing 12 psi and try to reach 350 whp with the same exhaust...now from what i read...a 3inch will benefit you more with a built motor and higher pushing more then 400 hp...our low boosted cars....2.5 inch is fine....i know people thats pushing more then 350 whp with built bottom end with a 2.5 inch exhaust...im not saying 2.5 inch is better...depends on if your pushing higher boost...you get better response from a 2.5 then a 3 inch
Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by my06tc
im boosted with a 2.5 inch exhaust on 10 psi doing 320 whp...im going to be doing 12 psi and try to reach 350 whp with the same exhaust...now from what i read...a 3inch will benefit you more with a built motor and higher pushing more then 400 hp...our low boosted cars....2.5 inch is fine....i know people thats pushing more then 350 whp with built bottom end with a 2.5 inch exhaust...im not saying 2.5 inch is better...depends on if your pushing higher boost...you get better response from a 2.5 then a 3 inch

My 330whp was done on 11psi on PTuning's Dyno dynamics. 3 inch PTuning exhaust made that possible. Stock engine. So, yes 3 > 2.5. Especially if the OP's Downpipe is already 3 inches. Turbo is going to spool faster on a 3.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep the info coming!!!! Thanks for all the replies so far!

As for the exhaust... I will measure the down pipe when I get to work tomorrow... I possibly have a Megan exhaust, but don't know the actual diameter of that... I will try and get that info tomorrow as well from my troop but no official exhaust has been purchased or completed yet.

As I read, I'm guessing its a "to each their own" pick on either 2.5" or 3"... benefits and downsides to each... but I can guarantee I won't be pushing anything greater that 350 WHP for the foreseeable future...

I also posted else where on the forum... where is the proverbial "line in the sand" drawn where its appropriate to either go 2.5" or 3"??

Last edited by FIREDOG21; 01-06-2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-06-2014, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MDTC713
Get rid of the Unichip. There is a good reason why all the reputable companies that sell turbo systems for the tC don't include it with their system. You will have a hard time finding someone who can tune it and an even harder time finding a good tuner especially one with experience with a tC.

Alrighty then... what would you (and all reading this) recommend for an EMS?? not too sure if I need to go full stand alone or run a PNP piggy back... again... a fun DD that will rip between the red lights! And get to the fire house in less than a minute! AHAHA

Finding a sound tuner to program it all might be a challenge as well in my neck of the woods... I already have a dyno I can utilize from New Era Performance here in Ra-cha-cha... Ideas there too!!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Updates!!

Ok... just measured the down pipe... so it looks like I'm going 3"... just got to find out the Megan size...
Attached Thumbnails I know I'm crazy... but bear with me!! TURBO BUILD!!-downpipe-1.jpg   I know I'm crazy... but bear with me!! TURBO BUILD!!-downpipe-2.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Firecat? Monster? I'm more of a Red Bull guy myself...

Glad to see the 3"
Old 01-07-2014, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Firecat? Monster? I'm more of a Red Bull guy myself...

Glad to see the 3"
Ball buster!! Hell yeah MONSTER!! ive paid someones salary at that company with how much I consume! if I could make my tC run on it I would!! HAHAHA

Yeah I figure going 3" will give me some room incase I find small upgrades down the road... plus after all the reading ive done! whew!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know right. I told you that you are going to get dragged in to every which way and wrongs and rights and it sucks! That's why it's nice to just have a level head tell you not to worry about it because it's true.

And yeah... Hmm... how to make Monster combustable... Let's hit the lab!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know right. I told you that you are going to get dragged in to every which way and wrongs and rights and it sucks! That's why it's nice to just have a level head tell you not to worry about it because it's true.

And yeah... Hmm... how to make Monster combustable... Let's hit the lab!
Hahaha... I don't care which way anyone went... just want the info to be better educated in my choices!!

Quick Reply: I know I'm crazy... but bear with me!! TURBO BUILD!!