Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

LSD or not to LSD? With a Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default LSD or not to LSD? With a Turbo

I'm posting this hear cuz I want to hear from the FI guys/gals.

After reading Brett's thread it got me thinking about the whole LSD again. I read a few threads in the drivetrain & power section and that just confused me more. Is it worth it if you're just going down the 1320? I'll be running a built motor and turbo hopefully going for the 12-11s. My car is apart right now so getting it now would save me install money. I just don't want to get it and find out I could of saved the hassle and money. So is it worth it for guys/gals in my position?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*watching
Old 09-14-2007, 07:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

what are your goals for the car?....just drag racing, or real track driving? i mean the purpose of lsd is to let wheels spin at different rates, mostly used for cornering....i know its cool to say that you have lsd, cause every cool car has one, lol....but i drive the track a lot, more real tracks than drag (80/20) and never thought my lsd was any good on the drag...now on a track, thats another story....makes a world of a difference in cornering....but these days i drive a new 2007 z, so that's a whole other story, lol
Old 09-14-2007, 07:51 AM
SL Member

if you can afford one, why not? can't really hurt to have a neat part that'll put those horsepowers down right onto the road. i say you should definitely go for it!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ask amd forever
Old 09-14-2007, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by malibuboy54
i mean the purpose of lsd is to let wheels spin at different rates, mostly used for cornering....
Actually, the purpose of a differential is to allow the wheels to spin at different speeds (for cornering), but an open differential doesn't control how much one tire spins over the other, leading to massive amounts of torque in one wheel vs the other wheel. To quote Marisa Tomei, "One tire spins, the other tire does nothing."

The purpose of the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) is to control how freely one wheel can spin, keeping the torque to each wheel pretty much equal. So it should be helping out in drag racing considerably at the launch, and helping to keep the car straight down the track.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got lsd, i'm not boosted yet, but it makes launching an n/a tc completely fool proof. both tires just grip and pull the car. no wheel spin or unintentional wheelspin when say one wheel looses traction on gravel or something.

worth it, get it!
Old 09-14-2007, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i can't believe someone is really asking is LSD needed... thats like asking should i build my motot to push and hold 25-30psi hmmmmm
Old 09-14-2007, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikescion
i can't believe someone is really asking is LSD needed... thats like asking should i build my motot to push and hold 25-30psi hmmmmm
if it were needed that much then the tc would of had one stock, anyways comparing a built motor to a tranny is different, i cant boost 25 psi stock but i can send 400 whp thru the tranny with out an LSD.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Take a look at what it did for this GTS owner. The GTS averages in at low 15's stock, and high 14's with freak drivers stock:

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/show...ight=stock+LSD

He got a 14.7 with only drivetrain mods (clutch/flywheel/LSD). If he slaps on bolt ons and have an Apexi Power FC standalone ECU tune, he'd be in the low 14's to high 13's for sure.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It's not so much if it's needed as is it worth it enough where it will make that much of a difference in the 1320. I only asked cuz after the last week or so I've been having people tell me and reading that it's not gonna make that much of a difference going down the drag strip. If I could take that money and put it towards something else that is worth it more then I would rather do that. My thought was always to get the LSD and that's gonna be the biggest helper to get the power to the ground. Are you running an LSD? I only ask cuz you and everyone else seem to run in the 12s without it and if the LSD is the missing link to get to the 11s then it's worth it.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sure your car won't live on the drag strip. Get it for the street as well. I don't think a 12 second street FWD car will be free of traction problems. You're going to need all the help you can get. So take advantage of getting it now while your car is apart.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, if I had the $1200 for the differential burning a hole in my pocket, and I was looking for the best mod for rolling down the 1/4 mile, I'd invest in drag racing school, not a limited slip. Driver mods are permenant between cars, and can dramatically decrease your time slips. Plus, it works on the street too. :D
Old 09-14-2007, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree. LSD is required when going forced induction. Hell it is inmensely beneficial even on a stock car.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nychold
Honestly, if I had the $1200 for the differential burning a hole in my pocket, and I was looking for the best mod for rolling down the 1/4 mile, I'd invest in drag racing school, not a limited slip. Driver mods are permenant between cars, and can dramatically decrease your time slips. Plus, it works on the street too. :D
Drag racing school? Not gonna happen unless they do it for free and even then it would just be to see what was up.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive driven my friends old srt4 (without lsd) and his newer srt4(with lsd) both with practically new tires a i noticed the difference.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definatly go for it
Old 09-15-2007, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

id say go for it if you have the money. if i had 1200+install to throw down on one id sure as heck buy it... i'm going to have serious issues with traction once i tune my TT kit for 300whp...
Old 09-15-2007, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is a smart investment. Not to mention you've already got the car apart. That will save you some time and agony. Dropping the tranny etc will cost money. Definitely a smart investment and absolutely necessary for those doing f/i correctly. That's my .02 cents
Old 09-15-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would definitely go for it. Helps so much!

Quick Reply: LSD or not to LSD? With a Turbo