Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

My 1st tune and the problems to go with it

Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 PM
SL Member

Standalone ordered
Old 09-02-2012, 10:04 PM
SL Member

Have a new problem now..

Got everything back together and now i cant control the boost. Even after eliminating my EBC and just running off the WG spring it still is on the rise and am forced to let off.

Things I've tried so far are eliminating my boost controller, rerouting the vac line from my compressor to WG and just hooking it up to my vac block, took apart the WG to see if the diaphragm was damaged/stuck, confirmed the spring was the brown/pink 7psi one. Not sure what else to try next.

I do hear the wastegate open up during boost. Not sure if its opening all the way or am I exceeding its limits? I did notice on the ptuning site it says it comes with a 45mm wastegate but i have the 40 instead. Maybe a typo or they redid their setup and forgot to change the details?

Setup info:
Ptuning kit w/ gt3076r
WG is a turbosmart CompGate40

Anyways i need this solved by next weekend. September 8th is when i go for attempt #2 for a tune. This time on a standalone!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jchris315
Have a new problem now..

Got everything back together and now i cant control the boost. Even after eliminating my EBC and just running off the WG spring it still is on the rise and am forced to let off.

Things I've tried so far are eliminating my boost controller, rerouting the vac line from my compressor to WG and just hooking it up to my vac block, took apart the WG to see if the diaphragm was damaged/stuck, confirmed the spring was the brown/pink 7psi one. Not sure what else to try next.

I do hear the wastegate open up during boost. Not sure if its opening all the way or am I exceeding its limits? I did notice on the ptuning site it says it comes with a 45mm wastegate but i have the 40 instead. Maybe a typo or they redid their setup and forgot to change the details?

Setup info:
Ptuning kit w/ gt3076r
WG is a turbosmart CompGate40

Anyways i need this solved by next weekend. September 8th is when i go for attempt #2 for a tune. This time on a standalone!
wait... what is connected to the vac block??? nothing boost control related should be routed to the vac block ( aside from boost control map sensor ). The top port of wastgate should be open , bottom port to compressor.

You probably have the old style manifold, Which is sufficient with a large turbo on a built motor, but can creep on a stock compression motor. Just have to slap a boost disc on when you come back, no biggy.

Last edited by blown_xa; 09-03-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:12 AM
SL Member

Only thing currently connected to the vac block that is boost control related is the greddy bspec2 main unit. Boost control valve is hooked up correctly now, NC port T'd into the compressor/bottom port on WG and COM port is hooked up to top port on WG. Thats when i do have it hooked up, not right now though. I cant even keep the boost under control just running a line from the compressor to the WG bottom port. Top is open. Just how it should be to just run off the spring inside.

And i was just hooking lines up to the vac block to see if it'd make any kind of difference. Which it didn't of course. haha

Really scratching my head on this one. Was considering maybe a replacement spring?!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:18 AM
SL Member

It has gotten to ~12psi and there was still room for it to go even higher before i caught it and let off. But as long as there is a solution when i get there I'll be happy! Really hoping to put down some sort of numbers this time around
Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Chris, if you believe the wastegate is the issue I'd take it off the car (just for ease of use. Connect the bottom of the wastegate to a compressor with an controllable psi gauge. Turn up the psi one pound at a time and see if it even opens.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:50 AM
SL Member

Found a use for my GoPro!

http://youtu.be/7coJ9OpMm30

Listen and you can hear the WG open up. Also when i had it apart it i was able to push on the valve and it opened, i also took a blow nozzle attachment to the lower WG line and could hear it opening up.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:18 PM
SL Member

Well I just took apart and cleaned out everything in my wastegate. I measured the spring and it appears to be 2-3mm shorter than what turbosmarts spring chart says. Also when I connect an air source to it the valve maybe moves a quarter of an inch tops around 8 psi. Doesn't fully open till around 15 psi.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Grab a new spring to be on the safe side. Dont wanna over boost
Old 09-07-2012, 12:25 AM
SL Member

Put a new spring in after work today. Still no luck with it
Old 09-07-2012, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jchris315
Put a new spring in after work today. Still no luck with it
is the boost going up higher progressive with RPM? Im sure you have boost "creep" . Come in for your tune, I wont be here tomorrow but Ill inform the guys to install the boost disc. Don't worry about it, it won"t be an issue.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:32 PM
SL Member

More like boost "sprint" but yeah I'll be driving down after work today. Fingers crossed!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 AM
SL Member

End of weekend update:

First few hours of my tune was spent trying to get the AEM Standalone just to start my car. We came to the conclusion that it ended up being a faulty unit. For some reason the plugs weren't firing at all. I wasn't about to just leave the second time without a tune so we decided to just tune on the fic. Mine ended up being faulty, there was an issue with the cam and crank signals not matching or something. Which was causing my p0012 and p0016 along with random misfire codes. So i bought a brand new fic and got tuned on that. Didn't get a chance for a street tune since it all of a sudden started storming like crazy. The car had no grip on the wet roads. Other than that the car runs great now, nice and smooth afrs

Name:  IMAG0019-1-1-1.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  118.8 KB

Now since I've spent my money getting tuned on a GOOD fic unit i will be returning the faulty standalone. Really wanted the 2 step and adjust-ability but I'm happy with what i have, for now anyways..