Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

need help/advice on removing a supercharger bolt!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default need help/advice on removing a supercharger bolt!

hey everyone i starting trying to rebuild my supercharger myself. i was going to do it at my job (mercedes) but the shop foreman didnt want the liability. so im stuck doing it at my house with sub par tools.

There is a 6MM allen bolt with a half moon head on it that holds the pulley side bracket in. i didnt have a 6MM ratcheting socket so i attempted to use a allen key instead. it ended up rounding off the bolt and im kind of lost on how to get it out. it looks like a terrible place to try to get a drill bit in.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump any help?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't remember any half moon bolt on the pulley side. Do you have the 05-06 or 07-10 kit? A picture would help too.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have an 05-06 ill try to snag a picture tomorrow but i think i decided to just hand it over to P-Tuning and let them deal with it!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah snap a pic. I just recently took apart my sc with no probs.

Sent from my SGH-T999
Old 03-14-2013, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Post a picture of the offending item.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he means the bolt head is rounded like a 1/2 moon, there are two best ways to remove, might sound stupid, but the best way . first you could purchase a reverse extractor from sears, or snap on,, they sell different sizes. and attempt to remove it might be tough since the head is rounded like a half noon, other way, get a chisel longer the better. and make a straight mark beeper the better, and i do mean straight do not attempt to mark at an angle since you might chip the bolt and it makes it harder to remove, once you mark it then apply wd40, on the bolt try not to apply near the mark, let it sit for a few min then attempt to softly hit the mark at a 35 or 45 degree angle, it should loosen up..
Old 03-18-2013, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cmcpride
he means the bolt head is rounded like a 1/2 moon, there are two best ways to remove, might sound stupid, but the best way . first you could purchase a reverse extractor from sears, or snap on,, they sell different sizes. and attempt to remove it might be tough since the head is rounded like a half noon, other way, get a chisel longer the better. and make a straight mark beeper the better, and i do mean straight do not attempt to mark at an angle since you might chip the bolt and it makes it harder to remove, once you mark it then apply wd40, on the bolt try not to apply near the mark, let it sit for a few min then attempt to softly hit the mark at a 35 or 45 degree angle, it should loosen up..
This is what i would do also, its a very tight fit there, might be able to drill it with a 90 degree drill but I would say that is last resort.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I just took it to ptuning and they fixed it
Old 03-20-2013, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by youngflyer
Thanks for the advice guys. I just took it to ptuning and they fixed it
I'm having this same problem. Did PTuning tell you how they fixed it because I need to know as well?
Old 03-21-2013, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

try the bolt extractors like stated above. You could also attempt to use vice grips if there is enough of the bolt sticking out and lastly, you can weld a nut to the top of the bolt and turn it out.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no...my shop wouldnt let me do it there so i just put the whole thing back together and brought it to ptuning and they did a great job fixing it!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no...my shop wouldnt let me do it there so i just put the whole thing back together and brought it to ptuning and they did a great job fixing it!
I used a cut-off wheel and ground the head down, removed the assembly, and was able to remove bolt stud with my fingers. Im glad you are satisfied with the rebuild! Sounds quiet.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
I used a cut-off wheel and ground the head down, removed the assembly, and was able to remove bolt stud with my fingers. Im glad you are satisfied with the rebuild! Sounds quiet.
very satisfied with the rebuild!!! i was a hesitant spending 1600 for the rebuild when i was told there was only a 60-70% success rate but im very relieved now. when i picked it up it was idling horrible and shut off a few times but i guess it was the ecu readjusting itself because after the hour drive home, it was running better than ever. no more backfiring, no inconsistent idle, no loud bearing noises, no more damn headache haha! i really appreciate yall putting the grease fitting in as well!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very satisfied with the rebuild!!! i was a hesitant spending 1600 for the rebuild when i was told there was only a 60-70% success rate but im very relieved now. when i picked it up it was idling horrible and shut off a few times but i guess it was the ecu readjusting itself because after the hour drive home, it was running better than ever. no more backfiring, no inconsistent idle, no loud bearing noises, no more damn headache haha! i really appreciate yall putting the grease fitting in as well!
The low idle was most likely caused by built up gunk around the throttle body plate, battery was disconnected during rebuild and default throttle postion was too low. Remove the throttle body and clean it with carb cleaner and toothbrush. Hold plate in open postion with fingers and scrub it. Your airbox isnt sealing, that could be part of the excessive gunk
Old 03-25-2013, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
The low idle was most likely caused by built up gunk around the throttle body plate, battery was disconnected during rebuild and default throttle postion was too low. Remove the throttle body and clean it with carb cleaner and toothbrush. Hold plate in open postion with fingers and scrub it. Your airbox isnt sealing, that could be part of the excessive gunk
i will do that, do i need to take the throttle body off the car to clean it or just take the intake piping off? and i have noticed before my airbox isnt sealing properly, any idea why or where to get an aftermarket one (maybe you carry one?) and i also noticed the o-ring around the maf was torn so i replaced it and hopefully that will help a bit!

I have some more work that needs to be done so you will probably see my car in the shop soonish!