Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Need some help... car won't start after turbo timer install

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need some help... car won't start after turbo timer install

Hey guys - I attempted to install a Greddy turbo timer today with limited success. The turbo timer turns on, but my car won't start. When I put the key in, it still beeps, and i can even turn the key to "on" or "acc" and my stereo/hvac will fire up. But when I turn the key to start, nothing happens. If you've ever tried to start your car without pushing the clutch all the way in - that's what it's like. My friend thought that I tripped some anti-theft sensor, so I disconnected the battery to reset the ecu, but still no luck. I used wire taps to connect the turbo timer wires to the ignition harness wires - but it doesn't appear that the ignition wires are damaged at all. Any help would much appreciated.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

u installed a turbo timer without a turbo? or do u have a turbo? j/w i have no idea what happened....sorry i couldnt help....
Old 07-08-2007, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

yea do u have a turbo???
Old 07-08-2007, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unless he didnt update his signature, I'd venture a guess on the side of no... But even if he doesn't have a turbo that shouldn't cause it to not start the car since that timer is function off the ignition and not the turbo itself. Could he have possibly shorted something out?

hmflinttc, have you tried taking the timer out of the car and returning everything to stock and try cranking it up? We have a antitheft system that disables the starter and if i'm not mistaken, the fuel pump as well. How to reset that if you did trip it, I don't know...
Old 07-08-2007, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry guys i forgot to tell you about that - i bought haiduy's zpi kit last week and its on the way - so i wanted to go ahead and install this before it got here - my friend used to have this timer on his supra and he just gave it to me
Old 07-08-2007, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just realized that i forgot to answer amdforever's question. Yes, I disconnected the timer from all of the ignition wires. The only thing that the turbo timer is connected to is the parking brake.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does Greddy have any help files on their site regarding that timer? Maybe they have a FAQ file that may say whats wrong with a car not starting up
Old 07-08-2007, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I checked the greddy site and they have an owner's manual for it - but it does not contain any faq's or troubleshooting. If it helps diagnose the problem, I disconnected the ignition harness while I was tapping the wires, but I did not disconnect the battery. After it didn't start, I disconnected the timer, disconnected the battery, and pulled the efi fuse to reset the ecu.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well guys I figured it out. Apparently when I turned the timer on, it blew the AM2 fuse in the fuse box under the hood. I must have done somthing very wrong since this is a 30 amp fuse. If anybody has a working greddy turbo timer, could you tell me which wires went where? I used ProshopXB's wiring guide, but I must have done something wrong.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm, have you looked at the greddy manual? tells you how to install it with our car since we have two ignition wires... not sure if this is the same model you have as they only had one guide and it was for the full auto one. Here see if this helps you any in seeing where you went wrong. http://greddy.com/img/PHP/products/pdf/685.pdf
Old 07-09-2007, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And it has this warning too
Warning:
With vehicles that have 2 ignition (ON) wires, connect the Green wireto the ignition (ON) wire which does not drop voltage when the starteris activated. Then connect the Blue wire to the other ignition wire.